Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
I have a pump-n-seal hand vac sealer, I wonder if I can use the jar thingy with mine without punching the holes and using the tabs?

Here is a link to mine, I have a plugged port on the side for using in bags-do you think it could work for the jar attachment hose.

Check out the stats on this handy dandy not electric sealer, low teck but it works. Had fresh english muffins in one jar for 9 months opened and as soft and yummy as the day i put them in.

http://www.pump-n-seal.com/pumnseal2.htm

·
6,173 Posts
:cool:You have to either pressure can or water bath can. You can't just put food in a jar and close it. Bacteria can grow even with no oxygen. Purchase the Ball book of Canning, it's usally around $5.00 or so and can be found at wal-mart. It will give you the proper canning times and pressures in addition to the equipment used for proper canning. It is a initial investment but will pay for itself in a short period of time if you use it to can your own harvest.

The jar sealer is for foods that have been freeze dried, or is shelf stable without refrigeration or cooking (drink mixes, nuts, cereals, pastas, coffees, rice, salt, sugar, brown sugar, dehydrated veges & fruits etc etc etc.).

Check out the book, read up and then ask questions! I am sure some of the ladies and men here will be glad to point you in the right direction.:thumb:

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
I just bought one of these sealers two days ago. My hubby joking asked me if I was going to start making home-made MRE's.

lol

Does anyone have any idea about the shelf life of food that's been vacuumed sealed?

·
6,173 Posts
I personally use the non electric, non heat sealing method using the item in the link. It works really good and you don't have to buy rolls of expensive bags over and over. You can use any size canning jar and the items stay fresh. I even have used it with the heat sealers reusable containers and it pulls a faster seal. A couple of pumps and your done, no worries over leaks or throwing a bag out when done.

Even if you have it for a backup when TSHTF it worth it's weight in gold.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.