Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering for thse that have a bug out plan and have all their supplies ready to go for the long haul do you have your clothes ready? I mean do you have another wardrobe all sealed up and ready or do you plan on just packing what you can and heading for the hills?

I know that we have a few generic clothes packed in our BOB's and we always have several changes of clothes stored in our travel trailer, but there are many things that I wouldn't want to leave and have to go without either.

I think that this is going to be my next area of planning to go over. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. Some of my ideas so far are to have suit cases in closets ready for action, use storage bins for organizing closets with the lids near by. But I know that is not going to solve all the problems.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
SHTF cloths are optional.

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Underwear will rapidly be at a premium, especially when TP or soap isn't available. T-shirts are made very cheaply and will fall apart quickly. My secondary clothing is mostly made of wool (pants and shirts) so it will last longer underwierd conditions.

I could never have enough socks, t-shirts, and underwear. I got the rest covered.

Edit*** KDBC beat me to it.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good comments so far but do you all have two different wardrobes, or do you plan on taking the clothes you now have and wear daily? I mean in the event of something that forced you to leave and were not able to return when all your other preps are packed and ready but you have only minimal clothing? Is it ready to go or do you have a new wardrobe already packed? I just haven't seen much on the subject other than BOB clothing and was wondering what were some plans for long term clothing preps.

·
What would Mal do
4,913 Posts
we have a tier'd plan.

my daily carry is a small pack , i call it my "hospital bag" because family tends to understand that better. It consists of a change of clothes, scaled down version of toiletries, booboo medic kit, poncho, reading material, etc.

my BOB takes it all to a 3 day level before having to recycle stuff. I keep clothing options which include civilian clothes (shorts/jeans/polo shirt/t-shirts) but I also have some more aggressive camo and 511 stuff in there too.
all are sealed in vacuum bags so they get pretty compact and stay dry.

like you we have a travel trailer and that gives us a closet full of towels, and a bedroom full of extra clothes.

all in all, I pack clothes that would allow me to do physical work, or to go find a job where I need to present a clean business casual look. When we are camping that same clothing line works for play or if we want to head into town for a nice dinner some place.
extra shoes are critical and while they add weight and space, I know how important they are. I try to keep a pair of boots in the truck all the time and there's always a pair of aqua socks in there during season as we seem to stay around water of some kind.

·
uber nerd
194 Posts
I shop at thrift stores because I hate buying cheap, foreign made clothes new. I have found great deals for very little money. For example, our local St. Vinnies had ladies sweaters on sale for 1.00 each. I found three wool blend cable knit sweaters made in Ireland. I look for quality items from natural fibers. Anything made in U.S.A. is a plus. I have put away several heavy coats, work shirts, sweaters, jeans for the adults as well as graduated size clothing for the little one. Some of the adult items are a size or two smaller, as we will probably be burning more calories and dropping weight. Even second hand t-shirts seem to be a better quality than the crap they are cranking out today. To store them, I use space bags and keep them around the house, largely forgotten. A complete extra wardrobe for all four of us, as well as wool blankets, all picked up at thrift stores or yard sales for next to nothing.

·
Registered
15,150 Posts
we stocked up on jeans, military clothes and undergarmets. Went to surplus stores and web sites for alot of clothing, and sales for everything else..

Hit yard sales for alot of extra jeans in our sizes, and caught sales in stores for boots and socks.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have enough clothes to last a lifetime and my wife has enough extra clothes for a few families.I remember the old days when my grandfather had one set of red plad wool hunting pants and jacket. I have about 8 sets of hunting clothes. I have this covered.:thumb:

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,547 Posts
For me, bugging out is not the ideal solution. I do have a seperate wardrobe at the BOL but it's not as complete as the one at my house. If I am able to go by vehicle. I would try to pack my clothes, assuming I had the time. Otherwise, what I have there is all I'll have to depend on.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have a Rubbermaid tub with extra socks and underwear for everyone in the house. I have 8 brand new sets of BDUs left over from my time in, and looking for extra stuff for the kids and wifey....

·
Banned
182 Posts
Clothes are the least of one's worries when one has not secured food, water or shelter. Thus, clothes are one of the least priority things for me.

The fact is that in modern society clothes are very, very common. Any SHTF situation that is serious enough so that clothes are a worry for you is a SHTF that involves mass death, so there will literally be billions of clothes for you to choose from by scavenging.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Clothes are the least of one's worries when one has not secured food, water or shelter. Thus, clothes are one of the least priority things for me.

The fact is that in modern society clothes are very, very common. Any SHTF situation that is serious enough so that clothes are a worry for you is a SHTF that involves mass death, so there will literally be billions of clothes for you to choose from by scavenging.
like I said in OP you have all your preps bagged and ready but you are needing to get your clothes, Are they in rubbermaids, are suitcases at the ready or do you have a second wardrobe stored as well. TO me we all think of shelter as a cover to sllep in or live in but clothes are the one part of shelter that most don't think about very often besides what they have for a few days.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts