Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently put up a quite a bit of dry goods in mylar bags and 5 gallon buckets.

Right now I have:

100 lbs of rice
5 gallon bucket of Bisquick
2 - 2-liter bottles of sugar
1 - 2 liter botle of salt
5 gallon bucket of pasta
12 gallons of water in jugs with bleach added

My big problem now is where do I store it? I am currently renting a house, I know not ideal but I have no choice for now, and it has no basement.

So my question is where do I store my food if I don't have a basement?

The house is small and I have a large family so space is at a premium most of the closets are full. I have room in the garage but it is not temperature controled.

So me second question is how big a deal is temperature control? I live in the mid west so it gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How about making a platform bed, put the buckets down, then a piece of 3/4" plywood cut to the size of whatever mattress you are using then put the mattress on top. It doesn't have to have the boxsprings under it, but you could. We used this system until we built an 8 x 18 pantry.

·
Wanderer
3,269 Posts
I suggest you use the space under your bed, as discussed in previous post, also closet floors, behind dressers or chests of drawers, etc. Scatter it aroud wherever it fits. Temperature control is very important to storage life of foods. Rapid swings, especially wide swings of temperature are very harmful, for example very hot days and very cold nights. Seasonal changes are not as harmful, but it would be nice to avoid them, or at least moderate them, if you can. Maybe build an insulated storage cabinet in the garage for your foods to minimize temperature swings, and keep it out of sight. Beware of freezing of foods in or containing liquids, which may burst their container. Also be watchful for vermin, mice, etc., in unoccupied areas, such as a garage. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Sugar and salt both can go in your garage area as-is; they aren't as affected by temperature swings as other things you've put by.

However, now that you've packed everything with any nutritional value up, let me make what might sound like a terrible suggestion: unpack it and vacuum package it in smaller amounts.

Why, you ask, would I suggest such a crazy thing? Well, you're strapped for space, and 3 pounds of rice takes up a lot less space than a 5 gallon bucket; I package my rice in the amount that will fit in a plastic container in the cupboard, and the packages amount to about the size of a small woman's purse, more or less. You can put one or two smaller packages in a drawer here and there...and pretty soon, you've got 100 lbs. of rice put away.

Another thing to add on to the already excellent suggestions from Edd270: think vertical. Can't store horizontally, stack it up.

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
Get some shelving at your local home supply store or similar store and just put it in the corner or maybe in the bedroom or something.

Its not a perfect solution but you would be amazed how much you can put on one of those things.

I have approximately 120 liters of pinto beans, rice, salt, lentils, navy beans, kidney beans, sugar, about 400 LARGE cans of foodstuffs, bread making machine, pressure canner, propane cook stove, 10 cans of propane, on mine and there is enough room for double that, all in a space that takes up just 8 square feet of floor space.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Temperature isn't as bad of a deal as people make it out to be. Obviously you should do what you can to keep it cool though.

Here's a video showing food that's been stored in a garage in the S.E. USA where it's nothing to have a week or two of 110 temps in the summer. You can SEE how well the food held up over the long term.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you all for your suggestions I appreciate all of them.

I would love to buy some shelving and/or at least clear out a closet!!! Unfortunately my wife thinks all of this is nuts and is not about to be inconvienenced by my "whacko delusions" so my options are limited.

As a side note I do have the rice and other goods in 1 gallon mylar bags 4 to a 5 gallon bucket I used the large buckets becuase of the air tight seal. I am going for maxium storage life hopeing to get at least 10-15 years.

Lowdown...would the severe temperature swings in the midwest be worse then the heat of the SE? That does give me hope though thanks.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
GreNdel: One place thats overlooked is behind a living room couch.
I was thinking about that the other day and got out my tape measure and figured if push comes to shove I can stash about 7 cases of canned goods behind the couch without even pulling it out from the wall.
Luckly we have a full basement and my wife works with me on our preps.
Is there a crawl space under your house, all your dry goods could be stored there in buckets.
There are a lot of options, the best thing is if you could get you wife onboard.
My Mrs. is going to Anchorage next week to shop. Her list for Costco, Sam's club,Walmart ,etc.. Is diffently a prepers list , If you saw her in the stores you would know what she's doing.
On my last birthday the kids bought me ammo......Good luck and do what you can......

1 - 8 of 8 Posts