Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered before, but currently I am taking online classes and working so I don't have the time to search for all of the information. I went and bought some 5 gallon food grade buckets with lids and want to know if the oats from the feed store are the same as the oats in oatmeal. If so I want to store some of that and some grits and rice. I want to complete this task this weekend so all replies are helpful and will be appreciated. I personally don't reasonably have the storage space to hoard large amounts of food away for the future SHTF scenario but I do have enough space to put away 3 5 gallon buckets and some water away for my family. I am hoping to suppliment this with trapping and hunting. I have not found an effective and efficient way to store water yet as I have a lack of space. When we get notice of Hurricanes and the such I usually fill all empty milk jugs. The bathtub and I have two 5 gallon water storage containers that I fill to the top and place in the closet. Needing some helpful tips as to better prepare myself to meet the food need of my family in case of disaster.

·
Banned
317 Posts
Loky? your preparations are a good one.........but........only for a short time disaster.

What is to come will last a heck of a lot longer than what you are ready for....but... that will give you time to think about what to do next.

You are better prepared than 98% of the US population... keep on trucking.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Loki- any "oats" you may get at a feedstore will likely be whole oats with the hull. You don't want these.

Ideally what you want is rolled quick oats. This is going to be most likely what you are used to- pour boiling water into a bowel with them, stir, add brown sugar and you got oatmeal type of deal.

Oats are hard to de-hull, best to leave them for the animals.

We have a couple of nice patches of oats growing right now, nice to have some bright green grass as everything is dying. But these are for the rabbits and chickens. The rabbits love the wheat we grow, we put a handful in each cage. The stuff we threshed for ourselves is just the leftover straw but we did leave some unthreshed and they seem to appreciate the wheat in amongst the straw.

Once or twice a week we rake up what falls from the rabbit cages- usually a fair amount of wheat left on the stalks- and throw it in for the chickens. They scratch at it, eat the wheat and the straw becomes bedding. :thumb:

Lowdown3

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
You might want to look at your storage space as I bet that's the biggest stumbling block you have. Under beds, in closets, etc., you can put a lot of stuff if you use smaller containers. Sometimes, just a small change in how you store things [or what you store] can make a big difference.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts