Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a couple of bags of dried fruit, and a bag of oats. The fruit bags are 3 pounds, the oat is 5 pounds. The bags are not resealable...something I didn't consider or think of. There's no way I could eat 3 pounds of dried apples in one setting. I would rather divide everything into one pound portions, and keep them for long term, or at least semi-long term, storage. What is the best way to store them? Mylar bags?

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
15,922 Posts
I would do mylar. Years ago I ordered a 50 pound bag of multi grain rolled cereal, I put it up in mylar with O2.

·
Registered
982 Posts
If you didn't order from a long term storage company but from a regular grocery supplier, then the apples might not be dried enough for long term storage (mylar).

If that's the case, I'd probably store the opened bags in the freezer?

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
I purchased a couple of bags of dried fruit, and a bag of oats. The fruit bags are 3 pounds, the oat is 5 pounds. The bags are not resealable...something I didn't consider or think of. There's no way I could eat 3 pounds of dried apples in one setting. I would rather divide everything into one pound portions, and keep them for long term, or at least semi-long term, storage. What is the best way to store them? Mylar bags?
Twist tie to close it and store it in a cupboard that is not near heat. It will be good for several months to a year without a problem.

You should be able to eat 3lbs by then.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you didn't order from a long term storage company but from a regular grocery supplier, then the apples might not be dried enough for long term storage (mylar).

If that's the case, I'd probably store the opened bags in the freezer?
It's from Purcell Mountain Farms.

·
Registered
982 Posts
It's from Purcell Mountain Farms.
Looking at the images from PMF, those aren't suitable for long term storage. They look flexible.

A basic test is the "shatter test". If you hit a slice with a hammer, does it shatter like glass? If so, it's dry enough for mylar.

If not, it'll mold in mylar and should be stored either in a container with a tight-fitting lid in your pantry (will last weeks to months, depending on your climate) or the freezer in individual bags.

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
What do you consider long term?

I dry a bunch of apples every year. I store them in a bucket with a loose fitting lid. They last that way for 18 months with no problem.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,830 Posts
5 pounds of oats will not last you for very long if that becomes your sole source of nutrition.

You can purchase, wheat, corn, barley and oats in 50-pound sacks for 10 to 15 cents a pound.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I dry a bunch of apples every year. I store them in a bucket with a loose fitting lid. They last that way for 18 months with no problem.
I would consider 18 months long term. One of the bags said "consume within 6 months," the other one didn't say anything.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
5 pounds of oats will not last you for very long if that becomes your sole source of nutrition.

You can purchase, wheat, corn, barley and oats in 50-pound sacks for 10 to 15 cents a pound.
It's not. Those are for breakfast/oatmeal cookies...a particular favorite of mine.

I would rather break it up into, say, 5 1 pound bags...that would make it easier to use.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Great question. Just bought a huge bag of lentils, and was wondering the same thing. Although it's inherently a long lasting food, just want to maximize its freshness and was looking at storage options. Thanks to those who mentioned mylar bags.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,676 Posts

Long term is generally accepted as a decade roughly here at SB, unless it is something that can never last that long in any form. If the latter then it is the max possible for that type of food.

Short term is up to about 2 years.

Mid term is about 5.

You can make apples last long term. Spritz them with lemon juice (add sugar to that if you want first) and dry them until they are potato chip crispy. Then seal up in mylar with an O2A on a low humidity day. It will last a decade unopened.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Long term is generally accepted as a decade roughly here at SB, unless it is something that can never last that long in any form. If the latter then it is the max possible for that type of food.

Short term is up to about 2 years.

Mid term is about 5.

You can make apples last long term. Spritz them with lemon juice (add sugar to that if you want first) and dry them until they are potato chip crispy. Then seal up in mylar with an O2A on a low humidity day. It will last a decade unopened.
I'm in Oklahoma, there is not such thing as a low humidity day.

When you use mylar bags, do you have to heat seal them? I've never used them.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,676 Posts
I'm in Oklahoma, there is not such thing as a low humidity day.

When you use mylar bags, do you have to heat seal them? I've never used them.
I live on the Gulf Coast. It's even more humid here. But in winter when the central heat is on then it gets dry enough.

As for mylar you back out of this thread and look at the top of the food forum for the pinned threads.

One is nothing but links to all the questions about mylar.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I live on the Gulf Coast. It's even more humid here. But in winter when the central heat is on then it gets dry enough.

As for mylar you back out of this thread and look at the top of the food forum for the pinned threads.

One is nothing but links to all the questions about mylar.
Great. Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts