Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
The Lord's Servant
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I were to store food in a 1 gallon mylar bag w/ 02 absorbant, would it be safe if I stored that in a tupper ware container? (like a 27 gal. one). I've heard of some taking a 1 gal. and sealing it with a mylar, then sealing that in a 5 gal bucket in another mylar. I'm just trying to do it without the 5 gal. bucket.
Thanks,
Joe

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,241 Posts
The mylar is what's protecting your food. All the bucket does is protect the mylar. Figure out what the threats to your mylar will be and you can plan it's safe storage accordingly. For example, I don't have to worry about rodents trying to get into mine. If I did, I'd probably store the bags in metal cans, since they can chew through a bucket easy enough. Since I don't have to worry about them, Tupperware would be plenty of protection. If you don't have to worry about mice and rats, you could get those big plastic totes at the hardware store. They are pretty cheap, easy to handle, and hold a lot.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,786 Posts
For many applications desiccant works better than a O2 absorber does.

Like for grains, beans and freeze-dried foods the biggest important thing is to remove all moisture. No bugs can live without water.

Other than that, the container needs to guard against rodents.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts