Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm still new I would guess I've probably missed some long and educational discussions on the subject of vacum sealers.
In our particular situation we're planning to live on board a sailboat. We're looking for a reliable, and efficient way to store foods (dry goods, meats and fish). We will have solar/wind power to keep the batteries charged and run a freezer and refrigerator. So, we're looking at freezing and dry storage.
I concerned about the dry storage because living on a sailboat requires a lot of skill in "packing" the food stuff into all the nooks and crannies in the boat. It's a matter of using every available bit of space efficiently.
I've never had problems with mice or rats on board, but we have had our share of bugs.
Thus, I'm thinking the vacum/heat sealer type devices would be a good investment. One thing that does bother me a bit is you have to buy the "bags," or material from the OEM.
Any comments or experiences you would be willing to share would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Vacc's are a really good investemnt if you do it properly.

with the removal of air alot of foods will keep indefinatly.
good against insects.
helps with storage.
and food can be cooked withing the bag. if put into boiling water. if done right a bad can be reused a few times
everything from dried fruit and vegies. even fresh meat will last longer when its been vaccumed and stored in the fridge ( at optimum meat will stay fresh for up to 6 months. in the best case.

bags can be a problem. but any bag from any retailer will work fine. even some regular plasitcs will work but wont be as strong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. It seems like a good investment, especially preparing for food storage, and the changes ahead.

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
I like using a food sealer for bulk foods. By breaking bulk foods down into smaller packaging it is less likey to go stale, also food sealers really shine when they are used to package frozen foods. Vacuum sealing keeps freezer burn to a minimum.
Peter

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I find that a bay leaf in the bag with rice or flour or whatever, plus freezing for 48 hours, does the trick on keeping stuff bug-free.

You can reuse the bags; I don't reuse the small ones I pack hamburger or chicken in, but I do the larger ones that held flour and rice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the repolies. I didn't know you could reuse the bags. We have used the bay leaves, mint, garlic and diotenacious(sp?) earth to keep the bugs out of bulk food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts