Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone refer me to a really good food storage primer. Over the past year and a half since I've been here my focus has been on making a plan, garnering tools and assets, self-defense and other aspects but I'm finally mentally and financially prepared to start with food storage.

I'm at ground zero on this and have no clue where to start.

I'd like to invest about $100 per month. Until I can get at least a years supply.

I've began growing some tomatoes, corn and peas all of which I plan to can (ordered a pressure cooker and canning supplies and tools from Amazon).

I've got a large closet inside my house which I plan to store in. It's not consistently 50-60 degrees rather it's about 70 degrees year round with no light and little to no moisture. It's about 20 square feet (10 x 5).

I'm trying to figure out what are the basics, what will keep for at least 12 months.

According to about.com the food storage basics are "grains, legumes, cooking oil, powdered milk, salt, sugar or honey, and water".

Water is obvious but the rest - I have no idea. We don't really eat any of it except for 'whole grain bread', sugar and a little salt.

I'm sure someone will know where to point me for more info.

I really appreciate it.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,095 Posts
I suggest that you but a copy of Backwoods home and get a copy of their survival preparedness guide. The portion of the guide on food storage is very good. Also I suggest the LDS food storage guide "A Year's Supply". The LDS church (Mormons) also have their food storage guide on line, just Google LDS, Food Storage.

The difference is that the Backwoods home people live primarily of off home canned veggies bread, and home grown meat, the LDS guide concentrates on very high starch foods like wheat and rice, dry milk, honey, etc.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you search wendy dewitt, she has a website called everything under the sun, and offers great storage ideas and has videos on youtube. Just look carefully at the search results because there are several sites with a name like this one, but only hers deals with food storage. She had the best advice to create 7 breakfast and 7 dinner menus and then to write down every ingredient needed to make each meal and then mulitply by 52. This helped me so much to know exactly what I needed. She also has recipes for use in a solar oven. Hope this helps.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts