Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, today I was at kroger and the people in the line over had just purchased a huge amount of food. they looked normal and I assumed they were better off than I. The son looked like he just got out of karate class. The cart was full of name brand food and they had 0 coupons. Everything in my cart had a coupon to go with it or was store brand. As I'm doing some last minute calculations in my head to match up the sales with the coupons just making sure everything was on track I hear this.....

The husband is yelling...YELLING...at the store manager because their EBT system was down and it wouldnt take their food stamp card. WTH??? This makes me really mad! What a sense of entitlement! he then threateningly told the manager to give him a steep discount which I guess was done as the argument fizzled and the manager took their bags to their car.

This got me thinking... Are we just giving food stamps to anyone? What family looks at their budget and says, ok well we can't afford all this so instead of shopping smarter or cutting non necessities like karate, lets apply for food stamps???

I did some more research and guess what?? I qualify for food stamps. This shocks me.....but at the same time explains a lot. I live very comfortably, I GIVE OVER 10% OF MY INCOME TO THE CHURCH. Im not taking vacations or have my son in expensive classes but life isn't hard financially. We have fun, free fun. We go to the park, have playgroup on thursdays, free music classes at the church on friday, church on sunday, library story times. Today we even went to Chuck E. Cheeses (we ate at home first of course, I'm not paying to eat pizza that I'm not convinced is even technically etible....i swear it doesnt digest at ALL) anyway, my point, those people probably WERE wealthier than I am. If i can live without the government's financial assistance why can't they?

Im not saying people should starve by any means, but maybe take an approach like the LDS church does. If someone in the church is having difficulties they are given food (fruit, wheat, rice, beans, penut butter, powdered milk) the REAL staples. not a blank check.

UGH!
well at least I know Im poorer than some people on food stamps. theres an ego boost and gives me oh so much confidence in our government.

·
Less law not more prisons
1,124 Posts
Ok, time for my $.02 for whatever it's worth. Before anyone screams at me " hypocrite! " at the top of their lungs, understand that I know I need to practice what I preach as well.

I believe that the .gov has NO business taking from one man's pocket to give to another. If I robbed someone at gun point to feed the starving man on the corner, it's still THEFT no matter how you look at it. Just because the .gov does it with a smile and calls it redistribution of wealth doesn't change the fact that it is theft.

Not long ago if someone was old or infirm their family would take care of them until their last day's.

if a woman was made a widow due to her husband dieing from whatever ( war, accident at work, etc ) the community and her extended family would come together and take care of her and her children until they were of age to take care of themselves.

The church used to be of the utmost respect in this sense. They would help people when they were down, as long as those people were WORTHY of help and were not lazy.

Charity has ALWAYS had a human aspect to it until recently.

Enter the .gov in the great depression : they instituted food stamps and other welfare programs to try to ease the pain and suffering of the people.

When they done this, they removed the human aspect of charity. There was no longer a face of the people doing the giving. It became easier on a persons conscious to steal and manipulate the system because you were stealing from the .gov who stole from the masses.

Perpetual poverty then became a way of life for some. They seen it as a lifestyle. The more kids you popped out, the more you got. This mindset passed onto the next generation, then the next generation, and now we have 4th and 5th generation welfare recipients living off of the .gov tit with NO remorse. They think It's the proper way of doing things because they have NEVER had to actually go through real hard times. They have ALWAYS had the safety net in place.

In order for us to truly end poverty in our country it must be made a social taboo to use such services as welfare and foodstamps.

Benjamin Franklin said it best when he wrote :“I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer.”

Making someone comfortable in their poverty does NOTHING to help them get out of it.

A free cell phone while on food stamps?! Come on! A cell phone is a LUXURY item.

Instead of oreo's, chips, junk food and other items that can be bought on food stamps, they need to make it so you can only get the BARE MINIMUM on them.

Raw, uncooked meat. Flour, sugar, rice, beans. Basic staples to cook and prepare and make a meal. You shouldn't be able to go to the frozen food section and get a pre cooked hamburger that all you got to do is pop it in the microwave. I bust my bunz for a living and I don't have the luxury of buying such items. Neither should someone else using MY tax money.

Eventually, I would like to see a phasing out of ALL welfare and public assistance in any form, but that is for another post.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
There are people who fraudulently game the system, and there are those who really do need a safety net.
theres plenty of people on this very forum that say no net of any kind. lose your job and go die quietly somewhere.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
My sister-in-law works for the state welfare office in Texas (whatever the official name of the agency is). She said you get all the freebies if you have minor kids. Don't marry daddy and you get more freebies. She said its a game to these people and they know how to play it very well.

Every now and then someone comes in that really is in need. They are ashamed to be there. They hang their head in shame. Those are the ones that break her heart.

The "entitlement" crowd walk in with their head held high, dressed nicely with gold jewelery and already know all the goodies they are going to get.

She almost has enough years to retire and I think she is ready. How she puts in 40 hours a week is beyond me. I couldn't handle the attitude of some of those people.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
Going on the amount my family could get (used the budget paper they use to determine amounts based on income-bills this is for NY but most states are similar http://www.empirejustice.org/assets...budget-worksheet/fs-budget-wrksht-2010-11.pdf) we would get enough to buy all of our groceries meats and veges and still have some left over.

We buy whole pcs of meat at sams and cut them ourselves and even if I buy chicken instead of butchering our own we still come in under the amounts they set forth for a family of 4 to live on (basically 5 dollars a day per person as the max for a family of 4 is $668 33% of whatever income you have free to spend for groceries too).... for our family even with the amount of wages we make (which is over 200% poverty) but because we would get $386 deducted for our power/phone per month (we only pay about $150 for both each month) and a standard family deduction of about $150 and some other deductions for paying taxes on our house and the Insurance on our house we would still fall under the guidelines and receive benefits....but we dont get them (its so tempting at least we would get our money back that we pay in:taped:).

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
That's why you live below your means during the good times to create an emergency fund. Personal Finance 101

Sometimes things happen that you can't plan for or it takes longer to get things back to where it needs to be through no fault of your own....sometimes you just need help....no need to make others feel bad....they need a hand up not a hand out or push down the stairs:thumb:

·
Registered
342 Posts
Sometimes things happen that you can't plan for or it takes longer to get things back to where it needs to be through no fault of your own....sometimes you just need help....no need to make others feel bad....they need a hand up not a hand out or push down the stairs:thumb:

the rants about the welfare entitlement programs are specifically aimed at the families who,generation upon generation, know no other way of life and think its their "right" to be t*t fed by the govr.

The "shoe" that we each hold in our hand does NOT fit the foot of the person who, with shame MUST apply for assistance because of unforeseen circumstances beyond their control. (these are the people who,after much effort, REMOVE themselves off the govr dole and the taxpayers back).

·
Dios y Tejas
6,689 Posts
I'm gonna plagerize from another board member but the safety "net" is really a hammock. Put a requirement to do manual labor for the govt (picking trash, painting buildings, etc.) if you are gonna get a check OR food. Make sure the labor is tiring. They will find a job if the reqd labor is strenuous. Of course that would remove a voting block from some of our more honorable Representatives.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
If a person is too old or too sick to afford food then I have no problem with food stamps. However, folks like you mentioned in your op should get off their lazy azzes and provide for themselves. No wonder this nation is failing and defaulting. Give me this, give me that, I deserve it! I want it and I want it now! This mentality makes me sick. Get off your rear end, leave the cave, and drag something home yourself! As a populace Americans for the most part are like spoiled kids with those hands out. Sickening.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
I have worked part time at Food Lion ( in addition to a full time) and have seen the full baskets filled with shrimp, steak and ready to eat foods (i.e. more expensive) and then the E B T card comes out. Makes me angry. But on the other side of the coin, when my wife was out of work and we only had my income(which was not big bucks believe me). She tried to apply for aid and food stamps and was told that our income was too high (we also have a minor daughter). She was given 2 grocery bags of food from the county pantry and was told that that was her allotment for the YEAR. I told her the main problem was we were not the right color to get all the freebies. This was our first and hopefully only experiance with that. If this sounds racist, it's because of what I have seen happen all the time and our experiance with the system.

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
The food stamps are needed or they would loose the boat, drink and drugs, latest cell phones, and 2 brand new vehicles. Its a shame but these folks make me want to puke. I pray for the day that the carpet is pulled out from under them.:mad: I went to my kids school to eat lunch and out of the class of 30, my kid and one other kid are the only ones that paid for their lunch. I have the oldest vehicle at school while picking them up. Day care is the same , some ho pulls up in her BMW and the lady ask her to pay for the week and she gives the lady her gov. card. theres no money on the card to pay for school 25 dollars for the week. I pay 125.... This ho leaves with out paying because she says she has no other way of paying and leaves laughing at us with her favorite basketball teams gear and matching shoes and painted up BMW that looks like its going to a parade.....

·
Joe McCarthy was Right!
4,789 Posts
If you Qualify for them I say go get it and help bring this monstrosity down. Overwealm the system. Its the only way things are going to change and even have a remote chance of getting better.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts