Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, when the time comes, will you share your food with the community?

I always thought my preps were for myself and my family. I generally don't socialize.
After reading Rawle's book How the survive TEOFWAWKI I got to thinking he is probably right about one thing. Sooner or later people will organize and want to pool resources.

I won't give up my stores without something in return. I also realize I can't provide everything my family will need, especially if the problem goes long term.
My neighbor behind me has 10 horses. that's 10,000 lbs of food or at least transportation following an emp. I think I should lay in a good supply of salt to trade.
Following this line of thinking, I am starting to add stores that others may need. Am i getting out of control?

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,965 Posts
Sounds like a good discussion - as far as laying up what others may need, as long as you have yours taken care of I don't see where having extra will hurt. I take it you're bugging in for the short term?
I definitely foresee communities forming.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is always going to be work that needs to be done. As in will work for food. In rebuilding a society, it will take more hours a day than one person can provide so there will be need for ordinary worker bees so to speak.

Somehow we need to get food sources re-established which will mean low tech farming which means people power. Some families are going to need baby sitters as the adults go out and hunt. Some may welcome someone to tend to ailing family members. Seems there will be roles for people of all different ages and abilities and their services would be welcome for food and board.

·
Registered
34,023 Posts
There are Sooooo many possibilties that exist it would next to impossible to say what any of us would do in a 1000 different situations.

I'm really getting big in learning about renewable preps, the garden, learning how to use tree bark to make flour. I would be very generous with those type of preps.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
Whenever I hear pooling resources and sharing it's from those that don't have any. To me, just to show I'm one willing to help out I might throw in a couple of cans of beans or corn. Food sharing seems to come up rather early in a situation, usually within a week or two.

Breaking out a bucket or two of wheat will draw unneeded attention that you may have much much more and they'll want it all. Maybe not right away but soon.

But it's more about recon for me. I'd be suggesting that stuff like FEMA camps are just a days walk up the road, thinking of going myself. All the food and water, hot showers for everyone and free.

·
Capability, not scenarios
12,563 Posts
I don't think it's a bad idea to plan that way--what's the worst that can happen if you don't distribute those resources? You simply have more.

If I were you, however, I'd look to stash my cache in more than one place, so if people decided to come looking for more, and they got it, you wouldn't lose it all.

Reactions: slingshot

·
Registered
236 Posts
If it's a long term situation then no way I'd share with anyone in the first two weeks. These ppl did no prepping and probably deserve to end up at a FEMA camp. After the first month or so, anyone stopping by asking for help and has survived that long on their own may be worth bartering with or possibly, with much caution, allow to hang around provided they have skills and/or resources.

In a short term scenario, however, I would definitely help anyone I could.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
So, when the time comes, will you share your food with the community?

I always thought my preps were for myself and my family. I generally don't socialize.
After reading Rawle's book How the survive TEOFWAWKI I got to thinking he is probably right about one thing. Sooner or later people will organize and want to pool resources.

I won't give up my stores without something in return. I also realize I can't provide everything my family will need, especially if the problem goes long term.
My neighbor behind me has 10 horses. that's 10,000 lbs of food or at least transportation following an emp. I think I should lay in a good supply of salt to trade.
Following this line of thinking, I am starting to add stores that others may need. Am i getting out of control?
Why would I put together several years worth of food for my family, only to share it with those who couldn't be bothered, and watch it turn into several days worth? No, I will not be sharing with the community whatsoever.

I won't give up my stores without something in return either, and what I would want in return is stores, so...

Now putting away barter supplies for trade is just wise. Be it extra food, medical supplies, or whatever you feel would be in demand. I've been putting away a bunch of stuff for years now, specifically for barter. But I do not intend to barter until everything calms down, unless I run into some desperate need to.

If there is no fuel, or an EMP takes out vehicles, that guy is not likely to use his horses for food. They'll be extremely valuable for needed transportation and possibly for farming.

·
Premium Member
68,758 Posts
If it's a long term situation then no way I'd share with anyone in the first two weeks. These ppl did no prepping and probably deserve to end up at a FEMA camp. After the first month or so, anyone stopping by asking for help and has survived that long on their own may be worth bartering with or possibly, with much caution, allow to hang around provided they have skills and/or resources.

In a short term scenario, however, I would definitely help anyone I could.
I'm with you on the short term scenarios. I'd help in any way possible. I can always restock afterwards. But I'm not doing it in a long term one. Every day's worth I give away is one less day for us, and the future is too uncertain. Now if I was in a position to be producing far more food than we could consume or preserve, I'd definately share it. Probably in hiring help to produce even more, etc.

·
Real keen on not dying
865 Posts
Do I share my preps...what preps?

I keep a week's worth of food in my fridge and cupboard (I don't mention the pantry, basement or shelter stocks).

First aid? I got a box of bandaids and a bottle of rubbing alcohol in my medicine cabinet (I don't mention my EMT kit bag or my meds stashed in my shelter).

Weapons for defense? I have one of those pepper spray cans and a baseball bat (I don't mention my gun rack in my shelter or the revolver in my nightstand).

But it's more about recon for me. I'd be suggesting that stuff like FEMA camps are just a days walk up the road, thinking of going myself. All the food and water, hot showers for everyone and free.
Now this is something I'd like to learn more about. Has anyone ever found themselves in a FEMA camp after a hurricane or earthquake? I've never been there and I'm curious about how their camp system actually works.

Just for general information, in case I can learn something new from their procedures.

·
The Right of the People..
797 Posts
unfortunately i do not have enough for the two of us as it is. a few months i figure. i agree in the short term IF AND ONLY IF you are sure it is short term.

I am looking into barter items as well for down the road but not until i get more basics covered. I figure hygiene products will be of great demand after no one has showered for months. :eek:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Sharing or Trading

I do foresee having goods to "share", BUT as mentioned, as long as the other person has something to trade. ;)

I plan on stocking up on beans and rice as trade, barter goods.
Now, anything that is expired is fair game to be "traded".

This is the short/intermediate plan. After six months all bets are off unless my garden gets into full production.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Sharing with whom? Just anyone that comes to the door? I dunno. Biblically and morally, I take care of family first. Family is also my group in a SHTF scenario. They'll be coming here. They have their own preps, and would be added to what I currently have.

With the loss of income we do what we can for now. Working on a years supply for the four of us here. We'll all be doing well just to feed ourselves.

One thing to consider....if you give supplies to people, chances are they're going to be back for more. They may tell others you helped...then you've got a real problem. They may come to your door...and not be civil about asking, even demanding. The possibilty for violence could be present, where there was none before.

The best scenario, is not to let anyone other than your immediate group know you've prepared in the first place. It lessons the chance that you'll run out of supplies for your loved ones.

·
Real keen on not dying
865 Posts
Could the government force you to pool your resources in the community?
I wasn't around back in the 1940s, but I understand that during world war II, the government declared certain things to be rationed goods (Gas, certain foods, certain materials, etc.). It was illegal to hoard rationed goods and if caught hoarding them, you could face jail time and definitely faced having your "Hoard" confiscated. It didn't matter if your "hoard" had been slowly stockpiled over the course of years before the items became rationed or not, what had simply been stocking up yesterday, became hoarding today and was against the law.

Others more familiar with the history can probably give you more exact details on the events of world war II rationing, but to my knowledge, that is the only time the government put forth any serious efforts to collect resources.

In more recent times, the focus seems to be more on the government stopping "price gouging" selling generators, bottled water and chain saws for greatly inflated prices after hurricanes and such, to take advantage of desperate people.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts