Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appologise if there is a suitable thread allready existing on this site i tried searching and couldnt find one. i have access to some land and my long term objective is to become as self sufficient as possible on it. I have many questions that i hope some people can help me with.. than you in advance.

1. What crops would be best to grow in order to provide sufficient calories?
2. How much land would i have to devote to different crops to feed (lets say one person) such as potatoes.
3. What would be the best sources of animal protein with minimal need to buy in feed, such as rabbits, geese etc.
4. What trees would be best to grow in order to have fruit that will provide us with fruit for most of the year? (such as apple trees).
5. What fruit bushes would provide good crops of storable fruit (such as blackcurrants that will make good jam without adding setting agents).
6. anything else you might think is usefull!

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
This isn't exactly on topic, but since you're from England (so were my ancestors) I thought I'd mention it. One of the movies that stirred me into prepping was the English movie "Threads"; it's on Youtube if you'd like to see it. The movie was made late 70s or early 80s. Before the bombs fall and the city officials are trying to get prepared, one of the things they mention is knowing the whereabouts of every root cellar, garden, etc. in their area. The first time I saw this movie that chilled me. Is it really true? If the SHTF will the govt. come to raid your garden? If you haven't seen "Threads", I highly recommend it as the most realistic portrayal of nuclear war I've ever seen.

·
very very tired!
1,204 Posts
I think maybe also join one of the big smallholding forums or the self-sufficiency ones.. they will have folk in your area with smallholdings who know all this stuff and practice it.
Each area is different in what will or wont grow well there - I know nothing at all about the SW of England or I would try and help :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts