Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all~

I've been doing some searching and trying to find the best way to preserve yeast for the long haul. I've seen refrigeration (above 34 degrees). Just wondering if I can preserve it in some sort of the same way as flour (dark, moisture/oxygen free)
I'd appreciate the info!!

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
you can buy it in 1 pound dry hard bricks at fareway in iowa and just store it in a cool dry place as of right now i have yeast form 3 years ago i'm still using or if you really wanna have fun get your yeast hydrate it and feed it some suger then collect what you need as you go easy yeast culture. DISCLAMER : just cause i said you can do this doesn't mean something can't go horribly wrong and you end up die'n remember you got this off the internet and you agree that i'm not held responsible if you do this wrong or i'm just giving of bad advice you have been warned

·
Registered
772 Posts
yeast occurs naturally in the air for one thing.

I think freezing yeast or storing with no oxygen is really bad. Yeast is a living thing and no O2 might kill it, along with freezing.

·
Accuracy is Final
507 Posts
It is not only ok to store yeast in the freezer, it is recomended. Dry or Instant yeast stored in the freezer will last for up to 4 years, compared to about 6 months on the shelf. I store mine in the freezer and have never had any problems.

·
Vote 3rd party!
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Trust me, I'm not trusting the Internet but you can check multiple places to confirm answers

·
Registered
173 Posts
From my 10 years of brewing experience about the only that will truly kill yeast is a chemical (bleach for example). Yeast will stay dormant until conditions are right. Having said that, some yeast will die off, but all wort (unfermented beer) needs is a little yeast and time and it will ferment. I'm not a baker but I am guessing that bakers yeast would have the same properties. I say buy it in the "brick" or pouches and freeze it or keep it in a cool place and you will have a high yield. I've bought both and they are sealed in mylar.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts