Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Food plots are a great way to attract and hold deer in your hunting area. I steer clear of pre marketed brands you mainly see in your local gun shop or big retailer. Instead, I go to the local farm supply, and try to grow things that I know will grow well in my area, and things that my local deer know. I will give an example. Three years ago I put out 400 lbs of sweet potatos,and the deer never touched them, they just rotted. They had never seen a sweet potato in that area before, and refused to touch them. I even put corn out next to them to attract them to the potatos, no good. Deer will shy away from foreign plants the same way. Why buy products that were desinged for deer in New Zealand. Go to your local farm supply, and ask what is grown locally, and what the deer in your area feed on. It will help you big time. I only plant clover, rye, wheat, chickory, and a mix of greens that the deer in my area are use to feeding on. It works great year after year. I already have one 12 point and a doe in the frrezer, and still have a month & half of hunting season to go. Plant a persimmon tree and watch the deer come running, I usually plant one on the edge of my plots to sweeten the deal.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts