·
Red White and Blue
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
huge and growing population
increasing desire to upgrade lifestyle, especially foods
limited resources

now outside issues with food storage/production

https://www.forbes.com/sites/salgil...-import-purchases-send-a-signal/#1ccdb4dc1bcb

***Above average rainfall and rising floodwaters are not just threatening to compromise China’s gargantuan Three Gorges Dam; rain and flooding are already disrupting rice, wheat and other crop production in the provinces all along the entire Yangtze River...last week press reports emerged citing the poor quality in some state owned corn inventories, some of which are years old. The reports coincided with two large Chinese purchases of corn from the United States, one of which was its largest purchase ever (1.76 million metric tons or 69 million bushels).

Furthermore, corn prices in China have risen to 5 year highs even though China has recently sold more than 1.4 billion bushels of corn out of state reserves, which would indicate there is a definite issue of some sort with China’s corn supply. The USDA’s Foreign Agricultural Service points to an unusually early and intense infestation of Fall Army Worm in June as the likely cause of China’s current corn angst.***

not good news for Beijing.
the people will tolerate a lot of grief but if they can't eat they will make some noise. I wonder if the CCP is shaking these days. I can imagine a lot of them have overseas accounts and standby aircraft...

·
In Memory
10,934 Posts
If the three gouges dam lets loose?
You ain't seen nothing yet in the way of food shortages in China.

That would be so catastrophic, it would affect food prices almost world-wide.
China would be purchasing in the world wide market, like never seen before.
Which would drive up food commodity almost everywhere.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
They have a food stockpile that will last them more than a year but it is a midterm issue because the land covered under 6 plus feet of water may be damaged for more than one year.

Also the floods have been increasing over time... personally I think it is due to there being more water in the atmosphere due to warming temperatures in the arctic. We'll have to wait and see.

We'll have to wait and see if the dam holds - its failure would be catastrophic.

The area being flooded is 50% of China's GDP but it may have sidestepped much of the corona virus issues facing the rest of the world but its economy is being hit on the flooding.

Global GDP probably dropped about 30%..food production could be a problem. For more than just this year in those areas.

Same principles but again recovery is expected to be years.
https://www.soils.org/files/science-policy/caucus/briefings/farming-after-flood.pdf
https://nieonline.com/downloads/eplus/ePlus37.pdf

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
article somewhere says China is going into Africa and buying farms, growing food, and shipping it all back home.

I suspect there's some of that in the US?
I read several years ago that Chinese had purchased quite a bit of farm land. If I remember correctly, the article was talking about California and Washington state farm land.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
18,950 Posts
After reading this thread I went and bought 75 more pounds of rice. :thumb:

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
17,563 Posts
If the three gouges dam lets loose?
You ain't seen nothing yet in the way of food shortages in China.

That would be so catastrophic, it would affect food prices almost world-wide.
China would be purchasing in the world wide market, like never seen before.
Which would drive up food commodity almost everywhere.
The dam does not even have to bust. I am reading about the lake bed filling with silt and mud, and this shut down the power turbines. It will also decrease the storage capacity of the reservoir. Ultimately the lake bed fill fill completely and become useless.

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,920 Posts
Also the floods have been increasing over time... personally I think it is due to there being more water in the atmosphere due to warming temperatures in the arctic.
Meteorologically speaking, there is a stalled front, that is channeling the monsoon rains over the same area - "training."
Ironically, outside of those areas, it's a drought.
"Climate is what you expect - Weather is what you get."

·
Gumpherhooberpelt
5,920 Posts
The dam does not even have to bust. I am reading about the lake bed filling with silt and mud, and this shut down the power turbines. It will also decrease the storage capacity of the reservoir. Ultimately the lake bed fill fill completely and become useless.
...and then there's the engineering remedy....
https://insights.globalspec.com/article/2580/preventing-silt-build-up-behind-dams
"To address the problem in a different way, the EPFL team developed a system using submerged water jets to create turbulence that keeps tiny sediment particles in suspension so that they can be carried away through the dam’s water turbines. The process, which is designed to prevent sediment from settling to the bottom—and may even remove silt already on the bottom—is set to prolong the useful life of reservoirs, according to the researchers."
This is one way "Agitators" are good for the planet.

Reactions: Cat wrangler

·
D. Gibbons is a bad man
7,058 Posts
I think it's a good thing to keep China focused on their inner problems, rather than letting them create new problems outside of their borders.

Maybe they will buy more of out farm produce, which will help balance the trade problems.
The floods are a big deal but never underestimate the Chinese states ability to multitask.

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
They have a food stockpile that will last them more than a year but it is a midterm issue because the land covered under 6 plus feet of water may be damaged for more than one year.

Also the floods have been increasing over time... personally I think it is due to there being more water in the atmosphere due to warming temperatures in the arctic. We'll have to wait and see.
So now you’re jumping onto the bandwagon of the latest Climate Crisis Theater BS?

Funny thing....the green line is the forecast. The real water vapor is the flat sloped red squiggle in the middle. The Nino index is meaningless....but also a flat curve.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
I read several years ago that Chinese had purchased quite a bit of farm land. If I remember correctly, the article was talking about California and Washington state farm land.
Farm land is something they can't ship back to China.
In a pinch whatever country has sovereignty over the land
will be able to keep the produce.

That is: We're not going hungry while food produced here
is shipped out.

·
The river flows
908 Posts

·
The river flows
908 Posts
Farm land is something they can't ship back to China.

In a pinch whatever country has sovereignty over the land

will be able to keep the produce.

That is: We're not going hungry while food produced here

is shipped out.
They literally own several african countries and the governments of smaller latin american countries like Nicaragua and Ecuador.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

·
Red White and Blue
6,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Nothing stopping the Chinese fishing fleet from raping the oceans and turning the seas into a lifeless barren, as long as they are in international waters or have bribed weak governments in Africa:
https://www.worldpoliticsreview.com...signs-of-curbing-its-illegal-fishing-industry

***A vast fleet of Chinese fishing boats was spotted off Ecuador’s Galapagos Islands last month, triggering alarm in Quito and prompting concerns about the threat to numerous vulnerable species in the protected waters around what is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The presence of so many Chinese fishing vessels off South America’s Pacific coast also raised more questions about China’s distant-water fishing industry.

Ecuador’s president, Lenin Moreno, formally complained to China after the Ecuadorian navy announced it had spotted 260 mostly Chinese fishing vessels anchored in international waters near the Galapagos. Ecuador has since increased patrols of the region and started designing a “protection strategy” for the islands. It said it would also hold consultations with other Latin American countries along the Pacific coast in order to devise a joint regional position regarding this “threat.” Ecuador’s defense minister said the country hopes to avoid “an incident such as what happened in 2017,” when it discovered large numbers of sharks on board a Chinese fishing vessel it seized in the Galapagos Marine Reserve. Twenty of the boat’s crew members were jailed.

On the other side of the Pacific, Chinese “dark fleets” have defied United Nations sanctions on North Korea that restrict its seafood trade. By concealing their locations and identities, these Chinese fishing boats have caught an estimated $560 million worth of squid in North Korean waters since the U.N. banned the practice in 2017, according to a recent report by Global Fishing Watch, a sustainable fishing advocacy group.***

I appreciate their desire to feed their people but there has to be some balance.
at some point you have to think long term. they seem like a bunch of greedheads trying to make a buck today and who cares about tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.