Survivalist Forum banner
361 - 380 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
cant stand fake butter or Mayo... just whipped oil.. NASTY
Depends on what oil you use. I'll admit the usual commercial soy oil product these days has little flavor beyond acid and doesn't appeal to me. OTOH, I like real mayo made with good unrefined oil, real eggs, and vinegar/lemon juice, mayo made with avocado/macadamia oil or aioli made with EVOO/avocado oil.

·
Deplorable Freedom Zealot
3,714 Posts
Son & DIL went to local supermarket and called to tell me butter was > $7.00 per lb!!!!!!!
That must be some fine butter!

I had been buying 5 boxes of Kroger brand butter when on sale at Kroger for $1.99/lb. , and freezing it.

I have not seen that sale price in many months.

Now Kroger brand regular price is $3.79, so this week I bought 2 lbs. of Tilamook on sale @ $3.47/lb. reg. $5.49

Challenge and Land O Lakes butter is also on sale $3.50/lb. this week.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
5,873 Posts
IF my wife finds it @ $3.50 we'll be stocking up...

ETA:

I like to keep 15+ pounds in the freezers (good fat storage)

·
3,714 Posts
We have been using some store brand products for many years.

On my recent grocery shopping trips I have noticed many store brand items are sold out, or very low in inventory.

Most times there is plenty of the higher priced name brand product.

As an example Kroger 1883 sauce, has been sold out on many trips, while Heinz 57 is stocked well.

People are switching to lower cost products, and/or, manufacturers may be cutting their production of other label products, due to supply chain shortages.

·
3,714 Posts
Brookshires had leg quarters for .47 cents a pound. If I had more room in the freezer I would have got a couple of bags. Almost didn't have room for my Blue Bell. (Yup it was that kind of day)
We love leg qtrs. rubbed in garlic powder and cajun seasoning on the smoker.

Have not seen that price in a while, and will buy 2 bags if I see it.

I buy most all chicken from a local grocer, as they tend to have good prices, and smaller birds (Springer Mtn. Farms), vs. the buzzard sized birds at Kroger.

I went in to buy 10lb. leg qts. recently, and they were sold out.

Bought 2 whole birds around 4 lbs. ea. instead, and did not look at the price in store.

When I got home, and saw the price at $1.99/lb. I was shocked.

I'll be checking from now on!

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
On the butter, we keep around 30-40#'s in the freezer. Buy when it's 3 bucks or close to it.
Haven't had butter sales around here in a couple of years now, or good ones. G&W will advertise butter on sale, at $3.50 or $4.00 😣 :rolleyes:

If those 7.50 prices hit here, I'll be catching the sale prices on Augason's butter, and using our older stock of it.

·
Survivor
18,624 Posts
On the butter, we keep around 30-40#'s in the freezer. Buy when it's 3 bucks or close to it.
Haven't had butter sales around here in a couple of years now, or good ones. G&W will advertise butter on sale, at $3.50 or $4.00 😣 :rolleyes:

If those 7.50 prices hit here, I'll be catching the sale prices on Augason's butter, and using our older stock of it.
We usually don't buy butter if it is over $3.50, that's what the freezer stock is for.

·
Forum Administrator
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #371 ·
We usually don't buy butter if it is over $3.50, that's what the freezer stock is for.
This is always the hard part. In this prolonged period of inflation, poor market conditions and persistent AG issues. When to buy?
I have held the same trigger price points for years, now they are upping. I'll buy good cheese for $3.50 now instead of my old hard sell at 3 bucks a pound.
I'll buy and use the old to continue running the price hedge but, if this goes on for a decade, we will need to pay very close attention so we can continue to stay ahead of wages.
I am still 100% for adding what I can, when I can. I firmly believe this will get much worse before it gets better. I am even cutting back on services and entertainment to keep more funds fluid...see a deal, take the deal. Have cash and liquidity at hand.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
5,873 Posts
Same here but butter has been harder to find since the virus and we've used more of our stock than I'm comfy with. With the grandkids we use quite a lot every week also.

·
Forum Administrator
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #374 ·
My trip to the city showed the breadth of the inflation issues that are hitting Families, especially those overly indebted, on the margins or single Mom's/Dads. I managed to find fair deals over 2 full days of shopping. We did not stop shopping last night until 10 P.M. and hit it again this morning until Noon with a few stops on the 240 mile trip home.
Most items on my list were up 20%-%40 from 2 months ago. Kirkland canned beef is up to 18 bucks where it was 12. This is the reason I bought beef and am canning my own tonight. Theirs broke down to 7 bucks a pound. I will do it for 5 including jars and gas. Better meat and better end result.
Prices at Walmart were insane, higher than my local market on most items. . Well, the items I would actually buy from Walmart.
I am not paying 18 bucks a pound for WM ribeye let alone anything made in China. Walmart is pretty much off my prepper list from now on. My time is better spent searching deals and quality from here on out.
Costco has better meat and has managed to keep meat prices below the rate of inflation. No meat supply issues on this trip to Costco. Get it while you can.

Everything we used to get for a buck is now a buck twenty or more.

Gotta go for a few. I'll come back and share more.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I dislike WalMart but there are a few non-food items that only make sense for me to buy there. Foodwise their 10 pound hamburg tubes are inexpensive especially when marked down (last one was ~$24.00?). 5# blocks of American Cheese sell for $9.

·
Registered
17,867 Posts
Of course Americans are going view inflation as a big problem. Followed closely by shortages on pretty much everything everywhere.

This administration was touting not long ago how the average wages of Americans has risen dramatically since Biden took office. They totally ignored that inflation outran the rise in wages considerably thus putting the American worker at a disadvantage. In other words, Americans are losing money. Not gaining.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Son & DIL went to local supermarket and called to tell me butter was > $7.00 per lb!!!!!!!
Wholly Shmokes!!!

Glad we stocked up when it was under 2 bucks. Maybe 30 pounds in the freezer.

This is why we stocked up. We never know when Big Brother will turn the fan on high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

361 - 380 of 454 Posts