Survivalist Forum banner
341 - 360 of 454 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Well I hope he brings more.
Edit: I got distracted and posted before finishing my thought.
That was my first thought too, we don't frequent food pantries, are they really handing out Red Mill products, especially seeds? Maybe I should go.
If you have a Whole paycheck nearby or maybe a similar store or even the plant...yes. I used to get a LOT of stuff of that type here from the client choice pantry when my kids were younger. Because the one has food allergies, I always looked for it & usually they would let me have extra at the end because nobody wanted it. I've seen quite a bit of the high end brands there - Annie's, Bob's Red Mill, Krusteaz, Kodiak, etc. Also the ethnic Jewish food too.

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
5,873 Posts
Son & DIL went to local supermarket and called to tell me butter was > $7.00 per lb!!!!!!!

·
The Black Death
2,029 Posts
I tried to buy a few extra items this past shopping trip, but the prices are so high that was impossible to do. I'd like to get a few cases of chili/soup, but could not do it.

I cut up my credit cards a month ago, and am trying to get rid of them and the debt, so while there are funds available, I refuse to dip into them.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
What I have seen from following these types of threads the last couple of years, when there is a sharp price increase in an item in one area, it soon follows in many other areas with some variation. Pet food and meat come to mind as examples.

I bought a lettuce a few days ago at $2.99. It seems like it was about half that a year ago. Bought some sandwich meat which has gone up substainally.

I have not raised leaf lettuce that I like but I think I better acquire the taste for it. Never tried Carla Emory's sandwich meat recipe but it may be time to do that, too.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
"Just a day after its data showed annual consumer price inflation hitting a near eight-year-high of 7.79 per cent in April and retail food inflation surging even higher to 8.38 per cent, the Narendra Modi government has banned export of all wheat from the country.

Export of all wheat, including high-protein durum and normal soft bread varieties, have been moved from “free” to the “prohibited” category with effect from May 13." India bans wheat exports after new low output estimate

·
Registered
576 Posts
One interesting thing I have noticed recently is the price of high end beef actually coming DOWN in price. Local Albertsons not just one but both of them were running a sale on Wagyu beef. Normally $17.99 a pound on sale for $9.99. Only thing I can think of is folks just arent paying for the top shelf beef so they are having to discount it to move it.. If its scarce in the next month that will confirm it in my mind

·
Registered
17,867 Posts
One interesting thing I have noticed recently is the price of high end beef actually coming DOWN in price. Local Albertsons not just one but both of them were running a sale on Wagyu beef. Normally $17.99 a pound on sale for $9.99. Only thing I can think of is folks just arent paying for the top shelf beef so they are having to discount it to move it.. If its scarce in the next month that will confirm it in my mind
Buy what you can and buy it now because prices are about to reverse course. An associate of mine has an interest in a Waygu cattle ranch. They are having issues getting corn for finishing the cattle because the farmers are not able to get fertilizer to grow the corn.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Who can afford that?
Someone who keeps their butter consumption to a modest amount. If you use a quarter pound a week, that's less than $2 on the weekly grocery bill.

We tend to eat butter now out of all proportion to the milk we drink. If you drink skim milk, 3 cups a day would leave you 6 oz of butterfat to eat as a bit less than 7-1/2 oz of butter each week if you were eating your own dairy on a farm. If you drink 2% milk, it's just 3.7 oz of butterfat equal to 4-2/3 oz of butter, just over a quarter pound.

Since most of us are no longer on farms/homesteads consuming just the milk and milk products from our own cows, there are now lots of Americans drinking soda instead of milk, but wanting to go through a pound of butter a week each because they aren't churning it themselves. Just another case of supersizing.

·
Registered
6,292 Posts
Only thing I can think of is folks just arent paying for the top shelf beef so they are having to discount it to move it.. If its scarce in the next month that will confirm it in my mind
More likely it's the result of many ranchers drastically thinning their herds because of the spiraling cost of hay and grain making it uneconomical to raise and finish the cattle, causing a very temporary glut in the market. When beef less than astronomically priced becomes nonexistent for the next 2 to 3 years, it will confirm that.

341 - 360 of 454 Posts