Survivalist Forum banner
321 - 340 of 454 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
7,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #329 ·
Fun times. I will get more pictures this weekend. Headed to the city.
Those are the normal containers of coffee.

Food Tin Ingredient Road surface Flooring

Grille Hood Office equipment Bumper Line

Rectangle Line Art Tints and shades Electronic device

·
Registered
644 Posts
Fun times. I will get more pictures this weekend. Headed to the city.
Those are the normal containers of coffee.
That is the sale price for that coffee. :ROFLMAO:
I'll see your photos and raise you one.

Wood Automotive tire Gas Brick Rectangle

Math isn't their strong point either. 2 x 2.19 = 4.38 which is less that the normal 18 pack if you buy 2 nine packs. :rolleyes:

·
Jackpine Savage
6,861 Posts
Math isn't their strong point either. 2 x 2.19 = 4.38 which is less that the normal 18 pack if you buy 2 nine packs.
I've commented on that before with different products. I first noticed it over 10 years ago with Dinte Moore. It was cheaper to get two of the normal cans that one of the big ones, and you got an extra couple ounces. Last I noticed was just last week when my wife had Cheese-Its on the list. They were 3/$5 for the 7oz and on the shelf below they were $4.80 for the 21oz.

The stores and advertising companies caught on long ago that people bought the bigger container because it was cheaper per ounce (or other unit) and that a generation or two had been raised being taught that, so they remedied it.

Just like so many people see sale and their brain stops. I had a coworker who used to love talking about how when he worked at the grocery store he couldn't believe how many people came in and filled their carts with Gatorade when it was on sale 10/$10 but never bought any or just bought a bottle or two the rest of the time when it was it's regular price of $0.99. Stores count on stuff like that to help make up for their loss leaders.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Just like so many people see sale and their brain stops.
My father works part time at a hardware store in Florida. They had a stainless steel colander on the shelf for over 10 years that no one bought for $17.99. He put a sale sign on it for $18.99 and put it on an end cap. The second woman through the door bought it. He did that to prove a point to the store owner, and explained that they still lost tons of money on it taking up space for a decade. They would not discount it just to get rid of it. Thirty percent of the inventory has been there for more than 5 years.

·
Indefatigable
22,836 Posts
There was a thread around here about landlords throwing out food tenants left behind. I couldn't find it to post this, but I wanted to share an unexpected bounty. This will certainly cut the budget this month!!
The landlord next door and I were talking about what was for dinner yesterday. I told him beans. For whatever reason he acted really surprised and said more people should eat more beans. I agreed.
Today, he showed up with a BIG box and several bags of food. He said a tenant left them behind.
Now this guy is super nice, but a little shady and there would be no way we would ever rent one of his properties. So I thanked him and took it inside, a little afraid to take a look.
Holy cow!! SCORE These people ate good!! I guess it wasn't worth it to them to pack up the pantry!!
All products looked brand new. Exp dates are 23-25. This is just a sample, There are 8 bags of beans/lentils/dried peas alone.

View attachment 439541

Attachments

·
Registered
7,627 Posts
I had a friend years ago who cleaned out apartments as a second stream of income. She'd get first dibs on anything the tenants left behind. Lots of food, furniture, clothing and electronics. She'd upgraded her AC and TV and had spare ones. Her third stream of income was selling what she didn't want...

There was a thread around here about landlords throwing out food tenants left behind. I couldn't find it to post this, but I wanted to share an unexpected bounty. This will certainly cut the budget this month!!
The landlord next door and I were talking about what was for dinner yesterday. I told him beans. For whatever reason he acted really surprised and said more people should eat more beans. I agreed.
Today, he showed up with a BIG box and several bags of food. He said a tenant left them behind.
Now this guy is super nice, but a little shady and there would be no way we would ever rent one of his properties. So I thanked him and took it inside, a little afraid to take a look.
Holy cow!! SCORE These people ate good!! I guess it wasn't worth it to them to pack up the pantry!!
All products looked brand new. Exp dates are 23-25. This is just a sample, There are 8 bags of beans/lentils/dried peas alone.

View attachment 439541

·
Registered
975 Posts

View attachment 439541
Jojo - I'd wager that's probably all or nearly all food pantry stuff a tenant left. I recognize the brands on a few things as common ones. A lot of that stuff is the stuff folks get in the "random boxes" now that they either don't know how to cook or don't have the capability to {time / equipment, usually}. And no, it's not worth it to them to pack it up as it's easily replaceable.

·
Indefatigable
22,836 Posts
Jojo - I'd wager that's probably all or nearly all food pantry stuff a tenant left. I recognize the brands on a few things as common ones. A lot of that stuff is the stuff folks get in the "random boxes" now that they either don't know how to cook or don't have the capability to {time / equipment, usually}. And no, it's not worth it to them to pack it up as it's easily replaceable.
Well I hope he brings more.
Edit: I got distracted and posted before finishing my thought.
That was my first thought too, we don't frequent food pantries, are they really handing out Red Mill products, especially seeds? Maybe I should go.

Reactions: Stwood and Aceoky

·
Over and Out
5,507 Posts
..I'll see your photos and raise you one.
Touché.. (to MTShawn, as well..)
o_O

..Now, we don't even Buy those, but.. Just as a 'metric' - Even the "Cheap Brand" of frozen 'convenience chicken' is All up at Least 200%.. ie: These used to be $11-12., IIRC.. Boneless Breasts / Thighs that were $6.99 - $7.99 (4 lb bag, IIRC..) well-less than a Year ago, are now $14.99 - $16.99, same bag... o_O Yah. It's Coming..

jd

321 - 340 of 454 Posts