Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 454 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a few excellent threads on shortages. The inflation concerns are being placed in these shortage threads. I also know that inflationary pressures are across the board. So, we can do another thread where appropriate.

So, let us track some food pricing here. Please mention the State and region, if you want. Tracking regional trends, is greatly beneficial.

These are lousy, previously frozen turkey wings. Not premium nor organic. Just a previously frozen Norbest turkey parts that were cut up for fresh resale. Pricing from 4 days ago. Eastern MT.

Food Ingredient Finger Animal product Cuisine

·
Forum Administrator
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
We all know beef prices are up a ton. Nothing is sacred, not even the lowly pot roast. The magic piece of flesh that many of those on a budget made into a delicious rib sticking meal.... Not at this price.
Taken 2 weeks ago in Miles City MT. At Walmart no less.

Food Animal product Ingredient Beef Cuisine

·
Forum Administrator
7,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
="IceFire, post: 21021158, member: 2808"]
DANG, that is expensive turkey and beef! The more I see prices like that, the happier I am that I raise my own!
I sure as hell won't pay those prices. I warned of this 3 months ago, with specifics. And here we are.

·
Crazy Cat Lady
Plan to Alamo at home.
18,942 Posts
Regular canned veggies, Walmart store brand, are up to 50 cents a can from 44 cents last year. No peas, either, my aunt was quite irked (well they had the no salt but rather go without than eat that).

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
5,872 Posts
Great thread idea, though I bet we'll all be cringing at the prices by spring (if not before) .

Wife paid $1.48 pound for frozen turkey recently and we were "happy" to finally find a few. Last year I think she paid $.78 per pound or less... This is in far Western Ky.

Beef prices are "crazy " as it seems they are most everywhere.

Pork/chicken prices are up, but seem to be less increase than beef.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The ranchers claim they are not maki9ng money, the stores cry poormouth

so - do the cows have mutual funds stock portfolios we don't know about?
The Packers are the ones making all the money.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts
The ranchers claim they are not maki9ng money, the stores cry poormouth

so - do the cows have mutual funds stock portfolios we don't know about?
I expect the processors are paying the farmers much the same as always. OTOH, the stores (and we consumers) are now competing against the Chinese, who are more than willing to pay the current prices and are now siphoning off tons of US beef due to their trade war with Australia and ending of US import restrictions, with the amount rising steadily. We exported 1000% more beef to China in the first 7 months of this year than in the same period in 2020. It's estimated China will probably import 2.2 million tons of beef this year, the largest part of it from the US. Two million tons equals 12 pounds less US beef per year available for every man, woman, and child in the US, about 14% of our total annual beef consumption. .
China’s appetite for US beef imports soars

Yes, the Chinese still eat less beef than we do, but they don't produce their own to speak of, and there are 1,446 million of them to 333 million of us. If they were to rise to our level of consumption, they would soak up most of the world's total supply.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When I saw a package of 2 small ribeye steaks for over 32.00 I knew it was going to be chicken more often in our meals, but the chicken thighs we use to get for about 4.00 for a 5 lb bag is now over 6.00 and the bag is smaller. Hamburger was 4.79 a lb today at Sam's so got some. Only buy beef now when it on sale for a really good price.

·
Purrpared
1,325 Posts
When all this started I could get cans of Underwood Corned Beef Spread for .69 a can. Now all the major grocery stores in my area are out and have been for several months. I just scored 12 cans on Amazon for $21, which for me is a good deal because I spread it thin with cheese on a sandwich and can get 6 sandwiches out of a can. Amazingly, Amazon delivered this in a heavy plastic sealed flat and the pop-top cans were undamaged with a Best By date of August 2025. I went in to order another (this is my substitute for fast food because it's mostly flavor, salt and fat) and the price a week later is $22.18.

Link https://www.amazon.com/Underwood-Co...orned+beef+spread&qid=1635636962&rdc=1&sr=8-1

·
Registered
11,230 Posts
The other day they were out of hamburger. So inflation was actually scarcity. They collect all the leftover steak cuts into stew meat. Last year it was $3.49/lb. Now its $4.60/lb.

Pork loins and chicken breast are still $2.99/lb. So there are alternatives.

I need to get a cow in the freezer, but butchers are backed up. If i did it myself, the neighbors would complain. My family has killed more chickens then the avian flu. I could do those in my sleep.

·
Registered
11,393 Posts
We all know beef prices are up a ton. Nothing is sacred, not even the lowly pot roast. The magic piece of flesh that many of those on a budget made into a delicious rib sticking meal.... Not at this price.
Taken 2 weeks ago in Miles City MT. At Walmart no less.

View attachment 391636
That's what we're having for dinner tonight.

·
Wrong Side of Heaven
4,796 Posts
SNIP... It's estimated China will probably import 2.2 million tons of beef this year, the largest part of it from the US. Two million tons equals 12 pounds less US beef per year available for every man, woman, and child in the US, about 14% of our total annual beef consumption. .
China’s appetite for US beef imports soars

Yes, the Chinese still eat less beef than we do, but they don't produce their own to speak of, and there are 1,446 million of them to 333 million of us. If they were to rise to our level of consumption, they would soak up most of the world's total supply.
If ports are backed up how is it being exported east coast only? That would mean trucks and rail moving beef east.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I bought a whole lamb a friend raised and her family member who runs a butchering operation processed it. We have 2 pigs to split between 3 guys coming in the next few weeks. Dropped a doe earlier this month. Shot a pronghorn and split it with a buddy the first weekend of the month. I saw a fresh roadkill doe yesterday morning and didn't have time to claim it, but I called my buddy and he pulled out 3 quarters and the backstrap, perfectly good,

For me lately, it is raining meat.

1 - 20 of 454 Posts