Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Article about how the price of food is beginning to rise; according to this article food prices took their biggest jump in 26 years.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) today released their Producer Price Index (PPI) report for March 2010 and the latest numbers are shocking. Food prices for the month rose by 2.4%, its sixth consecutive monthly increase and the largest jump in over 26 years. NIA believes that a major breakout in food inflation could be imminent, similar to what is currently being experienced in India.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36720622

Inflation has gone up 26% overall since 2000. Check out this inflation calculator; fun to play around with, but it's kind of depressing...

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

·
Registered
11 Posts
meh.. its going to hurt poor peope in thrid world countrys... but when people have 3-4 computers per home 3-4 tvs... on average.. they can still afford it..
This is very true of the average American consumer. They are still living as if nothing around them is changing, time will indeed tell. What concerns me is as their standard of living is reduced they will not change their current purchasing patterns. They are going to realize that the end of the month and the end of their money will start coming earlier and earlier. They are still going to have to eat. What is not going to get paid instead? The rent? Auto insurance? We will see.

·
www.chemflame.com
1,174 Posts
Inflation has gone up 26% overall since 2000. Check out this inflation calculator; fun to play around with, but it's kind of depressing...

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/
Using the calculator, 26% seems normal for each decade. Actually it's lower then normal.
31.1% 1960 - 1970
112.4% 1970 - 1980
58.6% 1980 - 1990
31.8% 1990 - 2000
26.4% 2000 - 2010

·
Banned
6,705 Posts
You can expect that if and when they get the economy stabilized/socialized even maybe, the next gigantic rise will be utilities fuel and food. They have been kept in check, but they will make an immediate surge...IMO

·
Registered
969 Posts
meh.. its going to hurt poor peope in thrid world countrys... but when people have 3-4 computers per home 3-4 tvs... on average.. they can still afford it..
"Afford" is a subjective term. To afford one thing without sacrificing another is a different story.

Many people could afford a new car, but don't buy one because it would preclude or otherwise throw their purchases of other things out of balance.

In the case of food, if food sources are hindered by whatever, pests, weather, delays in transportation(whether deliberate or as an unintended consequence of some other occurrance), ect., it becomes a matter of availability, not affordability. Competition for what is available could be fierce and prices would rise well above what many could afford.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Some of the startling food price increases on a year-over-year basis include, fresh and dry vegetables up 56.1%, fresh fruits and melons up 28.8%, eggs for fresh use up 33.6%, pork up 19.1%, beef and veal up 10.7% and dairy products up 9.7%.
What this basically means is, don't be stupid. It is still spring and you have had fair warning. Find some available ground or a place where you can put lots of big containers filled with good dirt and where you are able to water them easily.

Use your imagination! Beg restaurants for their plastic containers that they normally throw away. Or, get the ones used for joint compound that the guys who do sheet rock throw out. Those should be food safe. Just don't get the ones with other chemicals. Five gallon ones are best. Find out where your local landscaper gets dirt. You can fill the buckets for around 50 cents each if you go where the dirt is sold wholesale.

Put some heirloom seeds of the kinds of food that you will actually prepare and eat into the land or big containers. Keep them watered. Have a plan for long term food storage such as canning or dehydration.

http://www.jrwhipple.com/sr/soldehydrate.html

Save your seeds because they could soon become expensive and hard to come by. And, hopefully, don't get caught by the high food prices. There is a heck of a lot of satisfaction in knowing that you bought or were given some, lettuce, bean, pea, tomato, etc. seeds five or ten years ago and neither you nor your family nor your friends have bought one of those items because they had to since because you save your seeds.

http://www.care2.com/greenliving/save-your-seeds-how-to-directions.html#

It actually takes little time and effort to grow a whole lot of food, especially if you use raised beds or big containers. Mostly, it is just sticking the seeds in and keeping them damp. I drill four holes about 4 inches up the side (not on the bottom) of each bucket for drainage. If you have ever thought about square foot gardening, think of it this way. One five gallon bucket is the same as one square foot of your square foot garden. How many could you set out as a border to your driveway, Hummm? As long as you keep it tidy and don't plow up the land, most landlords will allow you a space to set out containers. Think about balconies and roof tops as growing areas. Even hanging tomatoes can be grown in windows and they can give you a lot. MY YouTube friend did a fire escape garden. He had containers hanging on the fire escape. (Of course, he did not block the exit path! His containers were hung very securely so as to not fall on anyone's head.)

The real work is in preparing the food for storage. But, you can do most of that as you watch TV or a movie. It gives you something to do with your hands while you sit.

Encourage everyone you know to do edible landscaping instead of useless landscaping. Most food plants can be very pretty.

Type of Container - Vegetable - Recommended Varieties (Some may not be heirloom seeds. Always favor heirloom varieties when you have a choice)
1 gal pot/1 plant - Cucumber - Patio Pik, Spacemaster, Pot Luck
2 gal pot/1 plant; 15 gal tub/5 plants - Pepper - Sweet Banana, Yolo Wonder, Long Red Cayenne
2 gal pot - Squash - Scallopini
5 gal pot - Eggplant - Slim Jim, Ichiban, Black Beauty
5 gal pot/1 plant; 15 gal tub/2 plants - Brussels Sprouts - Jade Cross
5 gal pot/1 plant; 15 gal tub/3 plants - Broccoli - Green Comet, DeCicco
5 gal pot/1 plant; 15 gal tub/3 plants - Cabbage - Dwarf Morden, Red Ace, Early Jersey Wakefield
5 gal pot/1 plant; 15 gal tub/3 plants - Chinese Cabbage - Michihili, Burpee Hybrid
5 gal pots; Bushel baskets - Tomatoes - Tiny Tim, Small Fry, Sweet 100 Patio, Burpee's Pixie, Toy Boy, Early Girl, Better Boy VFN
5 gal window box - Beans, Snap - Bush Romano, Bush Blue Lake, Tender Crop
5 gal window box - Beans, Lima - Henderson Bush, Jackson, Wonder Bush
5 gal window box - Beets - Little Egypt, Early Red Ball
5 gal window box - Lettuce - Salad Bowl, Ruby
5 gal window box - Onion - White Sweet Spanish, Yellow Sweet Spanish
5 gal window box - Radish - Cherry Belle, Icicle
5 gal window box - Spinach - Dark Green Bloomsdale
5 gal window box at least 12 inches deep - Carrot - Short & Sweet, Danvers Half Long, Tiny Sweet

Also, learn to recognize food that is free for the taking when you see it. Your budget may depend on getting healthy affordable foods.

Here you will find information on almost every wild edible you can imagine.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/www.EatTheWeeds.Com/EatTheWeeds.com/Archive.html

Don't be a sitting duck and easy victim for the coming high food prices. Get ready, now.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I cannot believe more has not been made on forums and on blogs about the decrease in the size of food items with the increase in the price. Now that I mention it, I bet many will notice it.

A box of Cheese-Its for example... they redesign the package and reduce the size of it by say 10% and increase the price by say 2%...

Good thing our nifty inflation gauges catch that kind of thing. Oh wait...

·
Μολὼν λαβ
596 Posts
Shrinking amounts of food inside of packages has actually made the MSM a few time. They use similar size boxes w/ less cereal inside or cans that are just as tall but tapered on the side so they appear the same size, but ounces (or sometimes fractions of ounces if it's a small can to begin with) have been reduced. The new amount is honestly stated on the outside of the package.

Cans of tuna now have far more water inside than they did 10 years ago.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Shrinking amounts of food inside of packages has actually made the MSM a few time. They use similar size boxes w/ less cereal inside or cans that are just as tall but tapered on the side so they appear the same size, but ounces (or sometimes fractions of ounces if it's a small can to begin with) have been reduced. The new amount is honestly stated on the outside of the package.

Cans of tuna now have far more water inside than they did 10 years ago.
The amount has to be honestly stated on the package, but the price increase is not honestly stated in our measure of inflation. It is just lost in translation.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts

·
Gettin' there
764 Posts
Has anyone noticed Dial soap? I know this is not a food product, but same principle. I pulled out an older bar from the back of the cabinet, and did you know that it's weight was labeled as 4.5oz, the newer ones are 4.0oz. I had noticed the newer bars have been shaped differently, with a dip in the middle, and had been thinking that the new ones seemed to be softer, and melted down faster. I have not compared price, since I do not remember what I paid for the older ones, but I can guess the new ones were not any cheaper.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I checked the box of pancake mix and it says you can get about 60 4" pancakes out of one box. At $1.50 a box, that works out to about 2.5 cents per pancake.

4 pancakes per meal works out to about ten cents for a meal, plus syrup or fruit topping.

I'm going to be eating a lot of pancakes !! :D:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.