Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I work in a food factory. I get all the food grade containers I want for nothing. Some just ain't much good for storing food though.

I'm wondering some things.

Can I store Kerosene in a food grade HDPE plastic jug?
I get these nice, stout, blue, 5 gallon jugs, just like a kerosene jug, only taller, square and stackable. Large 3" screw on lids with a rubber o-ring.
Should I use em?

Anything bad happen if you mix kerosene with a residue/residual amount of 99.7% food grade glycerine?
I get these nice new 55 gallon drums, but I can't get all the glycerine out, the stuff is thick as hell. I drain them as best I can, and the stuff don't wash out well at all. It ain't alot, but I don't wanna ruin $150 worth of kero, or kill the family when I burn it.
Should I use em?

I think I oughtta be okay on both, but wanted some input from others.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
????????? ........ you're going to turn gold into plain rock ..... food grade containers are worth alot more than the same container that was used for harmful chemicals ...... you can easily get two for one in trade or sell the containers outrite and use the money for buying proper fuel containers ........

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
petroleum based products usually don't do well long term in plastic. it degrades the plastic over time.
Really?

I've got several plastic gasoline containers. One quite old and it's still fine.

Don't know exactly what type of plastic it is but I don't see much of a problem using what you can get for free and storing kerosene in it.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Really?

I've got several plastic gasoline containers. One quite old and it's still fine.

Don't know exactly what type of plastic it is but I don't see much of a problem using what you can get for free and storing kerosene in it.
Yep, I don't hardly think you can even buy a fuel container now that isn't plastic.

·
Forum Administrator
16,730 Posts
Sure, why not store kerosene in the containers?

I have some 16 gallon plastic drums I store kerosene in.

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
Use it to hold non food items for prepping.

Stacks of toilet paper, paper towels, extra clothing, winter/summer clothing storage. stack up kindling to keep it dry, books and magazines you would like to keep but do not have the book shelves for. extra blankets/sheets, cloth towels. Medical supplys, femanine hygene products. Soaps, shampoos and shaving creams. You can store extra tools, bags of nails, screws and bolts. Hobby/craft items that will be important to have after the shtf. If you are worried about contamination use good plastice bags.

I am not sure if there is a coating that could be sprade/painted on the inside, but if so you could cut the top off and use as animal water/feed troughs.

There are many ways to utilize nonfood containers.

God bless and keep on prepping.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Use it to hold non food items for prepping....

There are many ways to utilize nonfood containers.

God bless and keep on prepping.
Please reread the OP. He's GOT food grade containers, he wants to use them for kerosene storage.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
????????? ........ you're going to turn gold into plain rock ..... food grade containers are worth alot more than the same container that was used for harmful chemicals ...... you can easily get two for one in trade or sell the containers outrite and use the money for buying proper fuel containers ........
Not worth much to me to be honest, I get so many. I also have to sign a paper saying I won't sell them. Trade is an option, but in the end these are what I have already. I'd give em away, but nobody seems to want em around here, or they want so damn many, it's ridiculous.

Advertise your food grade containers on craigs list & make some money to use for preps.

How much glycerine is in the containers?
interesting info on glycerine.
http://www.glycerinburners.com/glycerin.php
you can actualy get a heater to run on glycerine.
Cool, that makes me feel a whole lot better. When I get em, maybe a half a gallon, I can get it to maybe half a cup I'd guess. Mainly I just wanted to know that kerosene and glycerine didn't make Zyklon B when mixed and burnt.

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Wow. I wish I lived near you!

·
Gone for Good
2,899 Posts
Will steam cleaning or a hot water power washer remove the glycerine residue? It sure cuts the grease and oil on our heavy equipment.

You are so lucky to be able to get those drums. Maybe someone where you work knows what will disolve the residue completely.

Red

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,284 Posts
Cool, that makes me feel a whole lot better. When I get em, maybe a half a gallon, I can get it to maybe half a cup I'd guess. Mainly I just wanted to know that kerosene and glycerine didn't make Zyklon B when mixed and burnt.
That amount of glycerin shouldn't effect anything. Biodiesel is made by removing the glycerine from oil. But there is always some left behind. Kerosene and diesel are similar.

It may gum up the wicks of lamps and heaters a little quicker. But that's just speculation on my part.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Not worth much to me to be honest, I get so many. I also have to sign a paper saying I won't sell them. Trade is an option, but in the end these are what I have already. I'd give em away, but nobody seems to want em around here, or they want so damn many, it's ridiculous.
Where in Northwest MI are you??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't mention it in my original post, the drums are steel, but food grade. I wonder if there's a coating on the inside that kerosene could dissolve?

To give an idea, I took 4, another guy took 6, and there were 13 left to go to the scrap yard. 23 drums, that was 3 days worth of production. I only wanted one for a barrel stove, but took 3 more since they fit in the truck.

Wow. I wish I lived near you!
You would have more than you'd ever need.....I was gonna ship em at one time (buckets) but can't really make it worth the shipping costs.

Will steam cleaning or a hot water power washer remove the glycerine residue? It sure cuts the grease and oil on our heavy equipment.

You are so lucky to be able to get those drums. Maybe someone where you work knows what will disolve the residue completely.

Red
DUH, never really thought of that. The sanitation pumps run 4000psi at 180 degrees.....just like a quarter car was "from hell" You can actually was paint off walls with it. I'll try one next time we use the stuff.

That amount of glycerin shouldn't effect anything. Biodiesel is made by removing the glycerine from oil. But there is always some left behind. Kerosene and diesel are similar.

It may gum up the wicks of lamps and heaters a little quicker. But that's just speculation on my part.
I would tend to agree, especially when it gets diluted with 55 gallons of kerosene.

Where in Northwest MI are you??
I live in Traverse City mainly, but also near Charlevoix and Grayling....depending on the time of year. Was from Westland, but got the hell outta there.

·
Registered
7,393 Posts
around the Chicago area its $20-$23 for a food grade poly barrel ...... closed or open lid ....... free to maybe $5 for the same thing thats not food grade ......

same thing for most other containers .......

steel barrels that are lined for food grade are becoming rare .....

new barrels along with a poly bag liner are great for paper stuff and other mouse/rat proofing needs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts