Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shopping at XXX-XXXX last night, I saw a pack of cheddar cheese slices in the refrigerated section that was just covered in mold. I inspected the package and it was unopened and the expiration date was current. A week ago at the same store my son was getting a big bag of jerky and found one hanging on the rack completely covered in mold, same scenario within date, unopened pack. Just curious, anyone else run into this and is it becoming more prevalent ? Not saying its the chain just happened to be 2 events at the same store.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I have found rotten and overripe food at walmart recently. Same with fish. I will not buy seafood products from them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yuck! thanks for the info. my family usually doesnt go there for food, we usually go to IGA or Schnucks. try your local chain grocers you should have better results

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
I just bought a large pkg of individual string cheese and three of them were black at one end. Funny you brought this up. I always inspect the bottom of the lettuce (where it's been cut off) to see if it's white or rust colored. Lately...at COSTCO their romain has been old, rusty and wilty. The little stickers on the pkgs are at least 2 weeks ahead of the exp.
I steer clear of fish....nothing is fresh here in the valley. We depend on California for EVERTHING as far as fresh groceries are concerned. If there was ever a truckers strike- we're screwed!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like the canned and dry goods prices there, but buy the majority of perishable and fresh foods from the 2 supermarket chains we have here.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I certainly cannot speak for the reast of you, but most of my observations have been recent (last four months or so). With that in mind, it certainly lends credibility to the 2009 food shortage rumors going around.

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I know someone who works at a large grocery chain in Chicago. She worked at the deli counter. Her manager was constantly changing the expiration dates, reusing soups from the previous day, re wrapping hot dogs, and violating every rule he could to minimize his waste in order to get a larger bonus.

I had an ex girlfriend who worked at a live poultry store. I got roped into helping them one Thanksgiving season. The mission was to ride along with one of the workers up to a wholesaler of large Frozen turkeys and fill the truck with frozen turkeys.

The truck we used was disgustingly filthy, and as we were turning a corner near the poultry store, a number of the turkeys fell off the truck and hit the street. After seeing them bouncing down the street, they just picked them up and put them in hot water to thaw like all the rest. Now keep in mind, the packing ripped off due to going 20 MPH when it happend, so the actually turkey meat ground into the street at the impact point.

Also keep in mind, this was a FRESH KILL poultry store. So the customers were buying Turkeys that were supposed to be live, fresh killed, and defeathered while they wait. They were SPECIFICALLY there for fresh killed and cleaned, Amish raised turkeys, not Frozen turkeys that were thawed in hot water to *Appear* like fresh kills. And they certainly did not want Turkeys that had been rolling around on the street.

You are really better off growing your own food.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
Highlander, if you are talking produce, i have seen it too.

Walmart has some of the worst produce around. Its usually wilting or on its way out

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
Anne--you got it!. Fruit flies all over the store. decomposition juices leaking on the floor. I have had bananas turn black the next day. Oranges with mold in them, avocados that are black or streaked with black on the inside. Even cheeses and milk tht are spoiled when you open them.

I pretty much only buy canned and frozen from Walmart anymore. When I buy beef and chicken or pork it is from Tom Thumb or Albertsons--and then only when I plan on cooking it within 24 hours.

Fortunately, I have had very successful year hunting and fishing. I have over 100 pound of venison in the freezer, about 15 lbs of fresh (wild) turkey, nearly 20 lbs of wild pork and still another 20 lbs of fish I froze. At least I know when and where it was harvested and the handling process up until freezing.

·
Displaced Texan
501 Posts
it even smells disgusting. Walked through the walmart produce dept yesterday morning and we had to double-time it out of there because my husband almost hurled chunks.

didn't make matters any better heading stright for their seafood counter.

needless to say wal-bastard cannot compete with any local farmer's market. Their garlic comes from China. Did anyone out there know this?

Highlander: you've just shattered my image of Santa forever. Thanks pal.

·
Banned
647 Posts
I never purchase any meat, poultry, produce, seafood, dairy or deli from Wal-mart. Only from friends, farmer markets or my grocery store. Wal-mart is too far away from me to go to on a regular basis, anyway, so just as well. However, I have on occasion, purchased spoiled food from my grocery, which I have returned/exchanged. Stuff happens, sometimes:eek:: I've found mold on frozen puff pastry (it had thawed and been refrozen), and found a moldy lid upon opening a jar of roasted peppers. Upon refund, if I was replacing the item with same, I opened it at the shelf (with the manager there) to be sure the next one was ok, and that the whole lot was not affected.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts