Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a food storage calculator program like most I suppose.

It plots out this and that and for the most part I pay attention to it, though

I have 200 lbs more rice than it calls for, we Opted to to something different

and herein lies the Purpose of this thread.

When I opted to go for more rice, and less flower and oats as was recommended buy the program it was based on the fact that we all love
the hell out of rice ,not so much oats:) so Is this based on folly?

Also the fats they call for, while i do keep tubs of lard for the shtf and oils and stuff, I was wondering if Canned meats and such could be added to the
Programs requirements for 1- fats, 2- protein

In another words would the fat and protein content of the canned food
be satisfactory to supplement the requirements specified by the food storage calculator, and or replace say the 10 gallons of oils with perhaps 5 and
spend the rest on canning meat myself and spam and stuff?

My survival preps are A tirade ''theory''if you will, based on the dry storables with long life, Canned meats, fruits,veg's, etc, and dehydrated and dried foods.

Since I have a little one ,PRIORITY goes to being able to provide a hot meal

for her under near any circumstance, so i rely on the canned goodies
for her.

My reasoning is that I can always fire up the alcohol stove and give her a hot meal, since the alcohol stove makes no smoke and can be used in a enclosed space its a stealthy way to cook up a meal if stealth his required.

[I got lucky an bought 10 gallons @ the paint store of denatured alcohol for 50 bucks:thumb:} they sent her a case of 4 -5 gallon cans by mistake
and I snatched 2 of them up, the others were gone by the time I got back]

Me and mom will hump it on beans and rice, game and clover, peanut butter
spam etc...

Unless as I highly doubt the collapse holds off and I am able to stay employed for the next 6 months--if that happens THEN
almost Evey penny i make is going into food

I have a friend who is well stocked up on guns and ammo and i have my 870

and 300 but hes agreed to barter some food for ammo if things go south :thumb:

So is it logical to conclude i can supplement some the the program requirements for certain food groups with canned food, and if time permits do
what the program calls for and still get all the canned goodies mom and i would like and will need?

·
Registered
246 Posts
What you are asking makes sense, sorta.

The canned meat fats will replace the lard fats *but* they serve different purposes.
Lard can be used in baking, etc whereas the canned meat fats will probably just get consumed. So you might be shorting yourself if you want to make biscuits or bread or something. KWIM?

I haven't even gotten as far as you in my food storage.
I'm still stuck on how to get coffee to grow in Oregon *grin*

·
Just use a 2x4
822 Posts
Oatmeal has roughage that the rice doesn't.

I just put 18 lbs of coffee into LTS. Don't know how well it will work..... BUT - first I separated it into large plastic zip lock bags, 1 lbs each. THEN I used the food saver on them - so I have an UNzipped plastic bag inside a food saver bag. THEN I crammed as many bags as I could inside a food grade 5 gal pail lined with a mylar bag, tossed in O2 eaters and sealed the mylar.

The idea behind the zip loks was to use something resealable that would keep the coffee from being sucked into the food saver machine. And it worked for that.

As to how long the coffee will last, I don't have any idea.

But as long as the caffeine is still good, I'll live with the taste.

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oatmeal has roughage that the rice doesn't.

I just put 18 lbs of coffee into LTS. Don't know how well it will work..... BUT - first I separated it into large plastic zip lock bags, 1 lbs each. THEN I used the food saver on them - so I have an UNzipped plastic bag inside a food saver bag. THEN I crammed as many bags as I could inside a food grade 5 gal pail lined with a mylar bag, tossed in O2 eaters and sealed the mylar.

The idea behind the zip loks was to use something resealable that would keep the coffee from being sucked into the food saver machine. And it worked for that.

As to how long the coffee will last, I don't have any idea.

But as long as the caffeine is still good, I'll live with the taste.
I thought beans would provide roughage? will they not
oatmeal is slimy:eek:

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh beans have roughage alright...
good, because if theres any other source of roughage other than oatmeal
count me in, i do have around 20 lbs of the stuff for the little one but even she starting to spit it out:)

Guess that bass farm sausage is better to her lol, Now I can eat oatmeal
cookies if there sweet.u

·
Registered
246 Posts
oatmeal is a great stretcher...it can be added to baked goods, meatloaf, hamburger patties etc to make them go farther

you don't have to eat it just for breakfast silly

that said - I have a good oatmeal breakfast cookie recipe if you want it.

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
I eat oatmeal mixed with butter,raisins and tart cherries almost everyday. Good stuff. :thumb:
I have a case each of rice and oats I ordered from the LDS
It comes packed 6 #10 cans per case, has a 30 year shelf life and free shipping.
You can't beat the price.
http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wc...10002&langId=-1&cg1=14087&cg2=&cg3=&cg4=&cg5=
I plan to get some more after I recover from my latest AR15 purchase.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oatmeal is a great stretcher...it can be added to baked goods, meatloaf, hamburger patties etc to make them go farther

you don't have to eat it just for breakfast silly

that said - I have a good oatmeal breakfast cookie recipe if you want it.
why thank you, mm oatmeal cookies.

oat meal for cookies, grits for breakfast yeee haw

lol but yes thanks love the recipe

·
Registered
6,674 Posts
A healthy oatmeal cookie with hot coffee, is a wonderful way to start your day. If you don't like oat meal cerial don't eat it. Put oatmeal in cookies, meatloafs, breads, biscuits, pie crusts, caseroles. You will use it up. You can use your oat meal for bartering.

If you like rice, buy as much as you can afford. Rice can be used in all the ways oatmeal is used.

I would say yes to the canned meat fat replacing some fates. Dice up some of your spam and toss it in with your bisquit mix and bake it up. Sounds good to me. I am sure the jelly fats left in the meat can would be a good start to country gravy. Don't wast anything. Find a use for it all.

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Anyone can order from LDS, They don't even spam you.
sorry , what does that have to do with replacing fats specified by a food storage calculator with fats from canned meats etc............

why do i need Mormons, i have an aldi right down the street:thumb:

·
Registered
246 Posts
sorry , what does that have to do with replacing fats specified by a food storage calculator with fats from canned meats etc............

why do i need Mormons, i have an aldi right down the street:thumb:
I asked because he mentioned the oatmeal cannisters from LDS.

·
Iēsous
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I asked because he mentioned the oatmeal cannisters from LDS.

Oh sorry, nothing against Mormons. Any way ordering on-line for some items

is the only way to get them, but for most of the stuff I have seen on the LDS

site i could just hop on down to the store for.

Do they have powdered eggs at a good price?

·
I'll fix it
2,548 Posts
"and herein lies the Purpose of this thread.

When I opted to go for more rice, and less flower and oats as was recommended buy the program it was based on the fact that we all love
the hell out of rice ,not so much oats so Is this based on folly?"

I thought the main purpose of the thread was a rice to oatmeal ratio in your program. I suggested a way I enjoy it and a cheap place to get it. Mormons are experts at long term food storage and a great souce of info. Whatever, I'm outa here.

·
Registered
946 Posts
I'm a celiac as are a huge number of other people. Most unfortunately don't realize it. This makes wheat (gluten) based diets a bad option. In my case I can eat the stuff but I have to moderate my intake or face the consequences.

Anyway, I just thought i'd add this to the thread as having flour as a base for your preps might not be as great an idea as you thought. The problem is mostly because of our crap diets and high gluten products that our ancestors didn't have... No moderation with our lifestyles which brings out the allergy. Once you have it bad, it doesn't go away.

Google the disease / allergy if you aren't sure about what it is and how it affects you.

Sucks for me because pizza, pasta and bread are my favorite foods!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts