Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
City dwellers who plan to gather food from public areas might want to read this article which is also indicative of how bad things really are when food banks resort to gathering food as donations shrink and demand increases.

"Bread for the City, the District’s largest food pantry, is planning to organize volunteers this summer for “harvest parties” to scavenge fruit from trees in accessible public spaces, as well as in private back yards with the owners’ permission."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...roduce/2011/06/20/AGfetQjH_story.html?hpid=z6

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
I have been doing this for years. I have a special deal going with a group of nuns at a convent. The have a small courtyard with a fig tree. The courtyard always looked horrible especially when the fruit was rotting on the ground and there were wasps....I had a talk with the mother superior, I do the yardwork in that courtyard and as payment I get to take the figs. I used to live in a house with 5 apricot trees. Got sick of apricots but noticed the neighbors had peaches and pears. When the apricots were ripe, I took a bag to each neighbor, when their trees were ripe, they returned the favor. There is also a great street near my house with a median full of cherry trees - I pick at night.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
My parents go around and ask permission to pick fruits from trees in our area that are used as just decorative or are forgotten by the homeowners....there are a lot of people who are happy to have someone get the fruit up and pick it so its out of there way to mow and does'nt cause animals to come in the yards....works good for them and the homeowners :thumb:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My point is that more food banks will get the idea to pick fruit in public places and there will be little left for those individuals who are picking from public places. DC is just the beginning. Food bank donations everywhere are down and demand is up. If SHTF AFTER these agencies have picked the fruit, little will be left for city dwellers who have not prepped and who think they will be able to obtain food from their surroundings.

·
Information is Ammunition
22,122 Posts
luckily, where I live has a few producing banana trees and date palms.

Reactions: rncmomx2

·
Registered
7,805 Posts
Just a note to the adventurous urban pickers ....... if the fruit trees are in the parkways and in front of someone's house ....... most people consider them not public trees but part of their landscaping and private property ........

My uncle has this problem with his pear trees every fall ...... the cops back him up everytime on the trespassing charges ........

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I think right now people are not to concerned with the fruit on the tree in their neighborhoods. If the person did not plant the tree and bought the house after the trees had matured they may not even know how the need to be maintained. My ex-mother in law bought a house with a bunch of different fruit trees in the yard. (The guy she bought from grew grapes and made wine) Her mother tended to the yard and kept the trees in good order and harvested the fruit. But after they sold that house, the new owners came in and cut all the trees down. Wiped the orchard clean and planted sod. Guess they didn't like trees.

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
My point is that more food banks will get the idea to pick fruit in public places and there will be little left for those individuals who are picking from public places. DC is just the beginning. Food bank donations everywhere are down and demand is up. If SHTF AFTER these agencies have picked the fruit, little will be left for city dwellers who have not prepped and who think they will be able to obtain food from their surroundings.
Yes, I see where this could be a problem. People like us will eat this food but many will not. I mentioned a median with cherry trees, I have seen homeless with signs sayng they are hungry sit under the trees with the fruit falling off hitting them on the head. They don't pick it up and eat it. At first my city husband wouldn't eat the fruit I picked either. He considered it "dirty". Friends ask at my house "what is this and where did you get it"? before they eat LOL

Reactions: KittyCat109
1 - 10 of 10 Posts