Survivalist Forum banner

FNH FIVE SEVEN

1186 40
I'm interested in all opinions here concerning this handgun.

The FN Five Seven shoots 5.7x28 mm rounds, holds 20+1 and has several variations of ammo available to the consumer market (3 different types are available to non-mil / leo).

Military and LEO have a couple of additional ammo choices available.

This is, no doubt, a very nice firearm, albeit quite expensive. I like the additional round capacity over most 9mm and all .45 cal choices. The price is just a bit out of my normal range. I'd have to save for this.

My questions are:

- Is this a reasonable, feasible purchase? Considering I would have to save for a couple months, maintaining normal bills, etc?

-Is ammo availability a potential issue?
This ammo seems to be available now, but unlike 9mm, .45 cal, .40 cal, etc., this isn't as common. The ammo itself is also more expensive.

-Is the value of this weapon, with its superior penetration capabilities worth having? Especially considering if bad guys wear body armor?
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Fun gun.
Light, accurate and firepower.
For me, the grip is terrible, and hate the shark fin sights. Everyone nowadays wants suppressor height sights, so there ya go.
I know several people who swear by them, one hunts the big cats here in the west with his.

Ammo? Just stack it deep.
Reloading, no harder than any other thinwall case. Forget progressive loaders though, in my opinion.

I am a dyed in the wool .4"+ caliber person. But put me back in the city, and the 5.7 would get serious consideration as the primary.
And going with the Ruger 5.7 pistol and carbine, it would limit the number of types of ammo needed, and just carry a 9/40/45 as backup.

Why the Ruger over the FN? I can buy a mess of mags and ammo for the difference.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
They are ridiculously fun to shoot.

Every LE agency in the US that has shot someone with the caliber has rapidly mothballed the platforms in question. My agency is one of them. Our SWAT team had about 20 P90s that ended up gathering dust in the armory for years, because we literally could not give them away.

I've read multiple official reports where people hit multiple times center mass were inconvenienced at best.

A few entities still have them on the books, for very niche applications.

It's telling when the only thing people can point to when extolling how awesome 5.7 is, is the Fort Hood shooting, where literally any duty caliber would have performed at least as well.

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
They are ridiculously fun to shoot.

Every LE agency in the US that has shot someone with the caliber has rapidly mothballed the platforms in question. My agency is one of them. Our SWAT team had about 20 P90s that ended up gathering dust in the armory for years, because we literally could not give them away.

I've read multiple official reports where people hit multiple times center mass were inconvenienced at best.

A few entities still have them on the books, for very niche applications.

It's telling when the only thing people can point to when extolling how awesome 5.7 is, is the Fort Hood shooting, where literally any duty caliber would have performed at least as well.
The civilian grade ammo is not the same as the military grade ammo for the 57.
Also, Ivan Chesnokov gives a ice summary of the 57. Worth the read. About halfway down.

·
Registered
205 Posts
FN 5.7 as a range gun or fun gun, sure. The fun factor is tremendous.
Hold one before buying as IMHO the grip isn't for everyone -- slightly longer front to back with less "rounding" than say a G17 due to the 5.7x28.
Check out ammo availability / pricing if you want high velocity ammo or shoot a lot.
In the "good old days", AE 5.7x28 40gr was close to cheap 45ACP, not even close now.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
If you have deep pockets and want something fun to shoot, it might be for you. Ammunition availability is a problem, in my area.

As for me, I would pass. I just can’t, personally,
justify the expense. To me it’s one of those cool things, that I’ll never own. Like a two seater sports car. They look nice, but they just aren’t practical, for my needs. They also cost more than I’m willing to spend.

·
Space Force Recruit
3 sticks of butter and a can of Cheez-Whiz
2,054 Posts
Not practical for prepping, might be worthwhile if you have someone who can't shoot 9mm effectively though. If you're fighting dudes with body armor, aim for the face instead of trying to defeat the armor, it's more effective.

·
Pisticus Veritas
Very Prepared!!
64,214 Posts
I'm interested in all opinions here concerning this handgun.

The FN Five Seven shoots 5.7x28 mm rounds, holds 20+1 and has several variations of ammo available to the consumer market (3 different types are available to non-mil / leo).

Military and LEO have a couple of additional ammo choices available.

This is, no doubt, a very nice firearm, albeit quite expensive. I like the additional round capacity over most 9mm and all .45 cal choices. The price is just a bit out of my normal range. I'd have to save for this.

My questions are:

- Is this a reasonable, feasible purchase? Considering I would have to save for a couple months, maintaining normal bills, etc?

-Is ammo availability a potential issue?
This ammo seems to be available now, but unlike 9mm, .45 cal, .40 cal, etc., this isn't as common. The ammo itself is also more expensive.

-Is the value of this weapon, with its superior penetration capabilities worth having? Especially considering if bad guys wear body armor?
I can't give you much of an opinion but I sure like what I see. Very nice lines and I'd be interested to know the bullet velocity of the barrel. I'll be looking into one for myself. 20+1 is very cool.

·
Premium Member
17,810 Posts
Ruger and PSA make versions that are a lot cheaper. Like literally half price.

For a gun that I couldn't afford to feed enough ammo to break it anyway....I'd save money on the gun and buy more ammo with the difference, IF I even decided to buy the gun....which I wouldn't.
I have 22+1 in my duty sized 9 mm with the OEM mags, I paid a LOT less than the FN costs, and it came with a threaded barrel.
Will 9mm penetrate armor? Not so much...but niether will most of the available 5.7 ammo.

Alternative options for high capacity or zippy small bullets....the KelTec PMR30 in .22 mag, or the Rock Island .22 TCM guns.

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
I love idea of it, but $70 for 50 rds premium SD ammo at times, IF you can find it??? :oops:

Too rich for my blood for something that doesn't demonstrate superiority over the established combat calibers. Let us have the very best tactical ammo that is currently restricted and dial it back to $50 for a box of the best, $35 for other, and I'm there.

:cool:

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
Ruger and PSA make versions that are a lot cheaper. Like literally half price.

For a gun that I couldn't afford to feed enough ammo to break it anyway....I'd save money on the gun and buy more ammo with the difference, IF I even decided to buy the gun....which I wouldn't.
I have 22+1 in my duty sized 9 mm with the OEM mags, I paid a LOT less than the FN costs, and it came with a threaded barrel.
Will 9mm penetrate armor? Not so much...but niether will most of the available 5.7 ammo.

Alternative options for high capacity or zippy small bullets....the KelTec PMR30 in .22 mag, or the Rock Island .22 TCM guns.
I'd take the Ruger over the PSA, but the gun isn't the issue.

It's the ammo. If it ever becomes reasonable enough to stack, I'll stack and get the FN.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'd take the Ruger over the PSA, but the gun isn't the issue.

It's the ammo. If it ever becomes reasonable enough to stack, I'll stack and get the FN.
Thought these were cool when I first started looking at them but too expensive to shoot and hard to find ammo cinched it.
I will stick to my Kel tec PMR 30+1 .22 WMR.
still lots of fun to shoot and Cheap enough to stack deep.

1,812 Posts
I am not a fan of the gun or caliber. Here’s why:

Capacity is nice, but I can buy 17+1 mags for my Beretta (G17 comes standard with them).

Caliber: 5.7x28 is marginal from a rifle, and handguns don’t improve it any. It’s loud, expensive, and offers little beyond potentially poking through pistol armor.

Ergos: I don’t like the pistol. It’s uncomfortable to me. Sights are annoying too.

Size: it’s bigger than my Beretta significantly. The Beretta is big to begin with. Adding heft to a big gun isn’t typically useful.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'm a HUGE fan of the 5.7 round and I really like FN, but the Ruger 5.7 is half the price and ergonomically much better, in my opinion.

It's just that the round is so uncommon and expensive. I figure in a real SHTF scenario the odds of me coming across very much 5.7 aren't going to be very good.

In other economic times I'd buy it just for the range fun factor, but right now seems like a real good time to stick to the basics and stock up.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts