Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I am fairly new to the survivalist scene and would like a few recomendations. First of all I have the guns portion mostly covered (308 ar, 9mm,45, .357 compact and a 12ga shotgun, I need a good 22). I am currently getting my BOB ready. A little about my situation is I live in south MN in a town of about 1200 approximatly 30 min away from any actual city.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
Water first, always.

Then food.

You have defense largely figured out.

In MN you'll also need to prep ways to stay warm in winter should the grid go down or whatever normal heating system you have breaks down.

Work on making sure you can survive 3 days, then a week, then a month, then three months, etc. Each time you reach a threshold you have increased the number of "events" you can survive.

Welcome, and good luck!

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,571 Posts
What is it that you're asking for recommendations on? There's a lot of ground to cover, so it's helpful to know what direction you're trying to take.

I second Goose3 with "water first". That's the one thing that a lot of folks put off or give little thought to. I can't count the number of "I have a year's supply of food and a case of water" type posts I've seen. Yet water is FAR more important than food. You can live a month without food, but only a couple days without water.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
308 ar? Dude, you rock! I'm a little jealous, but in a good way. .308 is an excellent bullet. One of my favorites, I kid you not. I am a Gun lover. I love how a 30/30 can be reloaded with out gas checks, I love how a .22 can down a deer, man, or bear if placed in the right hands, but that's me side tracking... sorry.

OK, so your new right? Well the first thing you need to do is figure out what you have, what you need, and where you want to go.

Is it enough to have 3 days of food? Do you want to stock pile 30 year rated foods, to ration you out 2 years? Do you want to home stead? Be the compound farmer like me?

We will get back to that, but be thinking about it.

Do you live in the city? What obstacles do you face? Do you have a bug out location in mind? How far is it? What do you need to bring with you? (this is something we might help you with)

It doesn't take much to cover the basics, and you probably don't have to run to the store to do it. Most of what you need, might already be in your house. Running out and buying Bear Grylls "survival knife" isn't necessary.

Most of the work is making the plan, then seeing it into reality. Take your time, make it fun, and don't burn out.

You've already got fire arms covered, so your already on the right path!

Reactions: goose3

·
The Scorpion
171 Posts
Try thought exercises. This is especially useful if you can do it in a group. Make a game of it among friends, try to come up with a situation that your friend isn't prepared for, score points for coming up with stuff they haven't thought of.

What scenarios do you envision needing to be prepared for and what do you need to do for each. What do you need on hand? Bug in or bug out? Trust your neighbors enough to clue them in on some of your plans or are they likely to be "the enemy"?

If you want to cover your bases, you can't just plan for one thing. I'm not sure you can plan for ALL of them, but you can plan for most of the obvious ones.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,914 Posts
Welcome aboard from a former Noorth Dakootan...

Ok..here's a start...

www.ready.gov

Then my favorite, Truck Stoppages and the cascading effects...What would it mean to you if the trucks stopped for an extended period of time?

Build up from 3 days, to 7 days ,2 wks ,etc...

Again, good luck and welcome aboard....:thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
definitely get the water either storing large quantities or the ability to purify( preferably both) and get on that 22lr. no other round can put as much food on the table for money spent as a 22 when food preservation and long term meat storage come into play

1 - 7 of 7 Posts