Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if any of you have shot the FN Five-Seven 5.7x28 and did you like it... Pros/Cons:eek::

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Never tried one. Don't care to do so. Reviews have been pretty good on it, but too pricey, ditto on Ammo. At work 50 Rounds will run around $30. The Gun itself is around $900. I have handled one, I'm not impressed.

·
Angry Libertarian
168 Posts
One of the guys that works at the range I go to carries it as his daily carry. He loves it. If he loves it, you probably will like it too. He said the recoil is lite so it's easy to keep on target. And you can't beat having 20 rounds. The down side is they are kinda small but they are designed to tumble. According to him they put a nice sized hole in a melon.

I haven't been able to shoot it yet, but I trust him when it comes to pistols, he knows his stuff.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
I've owned one for a couple of years now and I love it. Yeah the ammo is a bit on the expensive side but it handles so well. Easy to keep on target. Only drawback other than cost is you can't qualify for concealed carry with it in Texas have to rent a .40 or .45 at the range when you go for your class

·
Registered
645 Posts
I oggled those guns for about a year...then I got over it. heard too many cases of exploding guns and the round is dinky....fast....but still dinky.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
I've shot one, the ergonomics of the gun are good, controlability is good, but the gun and ammo are too expensive and the round just lacks solid knock down power.

·
Deo VIndice
6,108 Posts
+1 with what Kahn said.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've owned one for a couple of years now and I love it. Yeah the ammo is a bit on the expensive side but it handles so well. Easy to keep on target. Only drawback other than cost is you can't qualify for concealed carry with it in Texas have to rent a .40 or .45 at the range when you go for your class
WHY is that?

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Non qualify with 5.7x28

WHY is that?
I've been told that the State determined the round to be unsuitable because it isn't heavy enough. I think it's crap personally, if it's good enough for the feds to carry and it'll penetrate level II-A armor or helmets at 100+yards what's the problem. I've shown up at class to get CCL and been told not with my FN Herstal...C'est La Vie.

·
Registered
192 Posts
it would be good in survival pack for taking smalle gamre but the ammo is way too expensive and when the gun bans start up again that caliber will be limited to Law enforcement and govt oly because of its ability to pierce kevlar... id like to have one as a collector but for that price i could buy something much better with cheaper ammo.. also id like to add not all places charge 900 for the five seven... i could have gotten one a while back at a gunshop for 599

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've been told that the State determined the round to be unsuitable because it isn't heavy enough. I think it's crap personally, if it's good enough for the feds to carry and it'll penetrate level II-A armor or helmets at 100+yards what's the problem. I've shown up at class to get CCL and been told not with my FN Herstal...C'est La Vie.
it does penitrate body armour but the holes are so small you would have to use at least three good shots to get the desires effect.

I do agree that not being able to qualify with it is crap. If you are going to carry it you should be able to qualify with it. I always heard that this was a gun used for people who couldn't qualify with the bigger pistols, I guess it's a state thing.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Actually, in favor of this round, I wonder if when it passes through the first sheet of body armour would you get the bounce effect like from a .22lr on a non armoured target. This would be interesting to know.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
The 5.7 is a weak round . It may be a nice in a bolt gun for little furry things , but it is not a defense round I would own . The civie loads we can buy should do some damage to flesh , but I dont see them as a one shot stopper of men .

I have fired the pistol and both the PS90 and a P90 Dealer Sample FA , the FA was a blast as a 50 round mag dump lasts a little longer than a 30 round ar mag on a 16 .

Bottom line , not worth the $$$$$$ .

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
I have shot both it and the P90.

It's a fun little toy. but it's pretty much a 17HMR.

It has velocity (WHich is why it wil lgo through things)

but it has Absolutly NO 'knock down power'

Fun toy, decent on Squirrels, people... no way.

Check for yourself... a SWAT team in IIRC Washington State went with the P90... after they shot a couple people with it... they went back to their M4's...

·
Michigan Gun Nut
801 Posts
Cabela's sells bulk SS197 5.7x28 at $189.99/500 rnds. (ten 50 rnd boxes at approx $19/box) and currently has free shipping for orders over $99.
OK, I forgot about the bulk ammo. Granted at the Dundee MI one, I'm the one responsible for Bulk ammo cans at the moment...... but only once in 3 months has someone asked me for bulk 5.7x28. Lately, everyone wants either .223/5.56 or 7.62x39.

·
I'm the boogey man.......
6,686 Posts
Only two types of 5.7 are supposed to penetrate armor greater than IIA, and it's not for civilian sales and illegal to posses anyway..Both the SS190 AP and SS198 are designated as AP and their use, sale and possession are restricted.

I don't see what the big deal is, a 7.62x25 will blow right through a IIA vest as well, and CZ52's and ammo are cheap....

Reactions: Maverick88
1 - 20 of 41 Posts