Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone here flyfishes.and what a the pros and cons when using it for survival:confused:

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Iused to do a lot of fly fishing, but remember in a survival situation you wont be ar$ing about with fly reel you will be fishing with the food in mind so you will be putting all the rules to one side and getting them the best and easiest way possible.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Iused to do a lot of fly fishing, but remember in a survival situation you wont be ar$ing about with fly reel you will be fishing with the food in mind so you will be putting all the rules to one side and getting them the best and easiest way possible.
+1, but..

I'm just looking for a good excuse to spend all day fishing. Can't imagine a better point I could make for this behaviour than "we've gotta eat".
Poor Mom, out there working her fingers to the bone to provide for us.. hehe :D:

·
Happiness is 2 at low 8
1,403 Posts
just wondering if anyone here flyfishes.and what a the pros and cons when using it for survival:confused:

Fly fishing is great fun but... The fly rod & fly reel are substantial AND in the space it takes to store a floating flyline and backing I could store 300yds of monofilament. Besides you want your flies to "match the hatch" if a floating flyline and if you're going to use wet flies, why not fish with locally caught bait (worms, grubs, crickets etc) using the aforementioned monofilament??

I'd like it as an option, but not my first choice.

Allan

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I too fly fish and tie my own flies, and while flyfishing some times out produces in some situations, I can consistently do better with a medium light spinning rig and a few lures. I thinks its also a lot more versitile rig as well.

JMHO...

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
i'm a flyrodder and fly tier, i wouldn't recomend it for survival pourposes. i've demonstrated fly tying for Orvis, The Florida Sportsman shows, the FFF conclave, etc. for many years, tying both fresh & saltwater flies, teaching flytying for a number of local flyrodding clubs. and as much as i love the sport and consistently out fished bait casters and spinncasters, i still wouldn't do it. birdman(allan) is right, mono, splitshot in various sizes, hooks also in various sizes are what you'll need. the bait is out there all you have to do is know how and when to round it up.

remember to keep your backcast up. by the way are you a tier, if so what do you tie?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
. by the way are you a tier, if so what do you tie?[/QUOTE]

yep,i tie experimental bluegill flys:thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
I too think that a short pack spinning rod in a survival situation is more versatile, lure, float, free line, bottom fishing.

But I do have a 6 piece 7' 9'' 4/5 weight rod. One reel with a floating line, a couple of tapered leaders, some tippet lines, a box of flies, it's not much to carry and can give excellent sport.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
. by the way are you a tier, if so what do you tie?
yep,i tie experimental bluegill flys:thumb:[/QUOTE]
man i've got some killer bream (that's what we call all panfish down here) flies i've devloped over the years. i' pm you later.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:[/QUOTE]
man i've got some killer bream (that's what we call all panfish down here) flies i've devloped over the years. i' pm you later.[/QUOTE]

that would be awsome!:D:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Flyfishing is my greatest passion BUT I have all the makings to create ginormous trotlines for the local ponds from old sash weights to floats.

Of course everything in Maine is frozen right now so FF is not possible, I must have about 40 ice fishing traps in pack baskets in the mudroom right now and there is an aquirium in the prep room full of baitfish as my boys go nearly every weekend. I've been feeling a little too old to stand out on the ice much the last few years but the boys seem to catch a fair number of fish every sunday. I stay home and ten the woodstoves.

Damn you guys in forida got it made! Fish all year. I love fishin reds and specks in florida and think I'd really enjoy bonefishing at Christmas Island at least one more time before I die but can no longer afford it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I can see my wife now. You mean I spent all day cutting wood and all you do is bring home a few fish. Well dear it is food. Unfortunately I love flyfishing too much to make it an everyday method of food procurement.

Did I say that I love flyfishing?

·
A country boy can survive
257 Posts
I fly fish but would not recomend it for survival purposes. People fly fish because it adds a new challenge to the sport of fishing. If your life depends on you catching fish you don't want to add any more challenge. It's kind of like hunting with a bow when you could use a rifle.

·
Live Secret, Live Happy
16,105 Posts
If you have not tried it, a fly rod and a light bug line is a very good method of casting small worms into small streams. I know it is sacrolige to fly fishermen, but under survival conditions I will use any trick I know to catch fish.

·
Maximus
12,320 Posts
Fish with whatever you can catch more fish with. If you are better with a fly rod, then pack that. If you are better with conventional gear, use that. The only drawback to the flyrod is it's length and ability to transport.

I love to flyfish.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i fly fish for trout exclusively these days - and do so on occassion for other species.

but when it comes to survival, its not my first choice by any means. i've lived off of fish that were caught on the fly for several days, along with other stuff I could gather/kill, but i don't think its the most effecient or foolproof method by any means

1 - 20 of 41 Posts