Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Indefatigable
21,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a retired OR nurse (never gave a flu shot - never took one) and I don't have kids, but I try and keep up....I recently overheard a conversation in which the issue was the title of this thread.
So my question(s) is this: Should pregnant women and small children avoid those who have recently taken flu shots? Are people who receive a flu shot (NO active symptoms - only as a precaution) contagious or harmful to pregnant women and small children? If so, for how long? If you live with elderly parents, how do you avoid the situation? If a pregnant woman or child who was recently around someone who took a flu shot - should they be concerned? Links would be great if you have one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You wanted links, so look at the CDC's webpage. The normal shot is a killed vaccine - there's no live virus in the vaccine, you won't get influenza from the vaccine, and nobody can get sick from you getting the vaccine.

The nasal vaccine is a live attenuated vaccine - which means a live weakened form of the virus is used in the vaccine. This usually isn't a problem in most people, but immunocompromised people may get sick from the weakened virus, and theoretically, they could pass the weakened virus onto others. Most people with a normal immune system would be either asymptomatic, or have very mild upper respiratory signs.

I haven't seen any reputable sources advising pregnant women to avoid recently vaccinated people - on the flip side, there are recommendations that pregnant women get vaccinated (but not with the nasal vaccine.)

·
Registered
9,125 Posts
I got round this one by both Dad and me having the vaccination within five minutes of each other by our wonderful District Nurses. Neither of us has shown symptoms at all other then the usual sore arm.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
try to find studies proving its safe to vaccinate pregnant women...they arent out there.........you are at your own risk

·
Indefatigable
21,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe some clarification is needed...I was not asking about the safety of a pregnant woman or small child TAKING the shot, I am asking if there is any risk to them from being around others who have.

·
Closed for the Season.
15,785 Posts
Maybe some clarification is needed...I was not asking about the safety of a pregnant woman or small child TAKING the shot, I am asking if there is any risk to them from being around others who have.
Hmmm... judging from the one I had a week ago, I would say pregnant women and children were 100% risk free. I rarely harm pregnant women and children after my flu shot. Though the temptation sometimes is high. :cool:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Zero risk if it's the killed vaccine. Theoretical risk from the nasal vaccine, but in reality, that risk is probably slim-to-none. First, the person getting vaccinated would have to be immunocompromised enough to develop viremia and pass on the weakened virus. Secondly, the pregnant woman or child would have to contract the weakened virus, which as long as they have a healthy immune system, they most likely wouldn't. Even if they did, it would be the weakened virus, which would be a hell of a lot better than getting the actual seasonal flu.

You said you were an OR nurse in your first post - shouldn't this be basic science to you? Do you still have any access to medical journals if you're interested in exact numbers?

·
Indefatigable
21,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Retired for the past 11 years. Nursing school was 35 years ago. We had never heard of nasal vaccines in 1978. New drugs come out daily, vaccines, who should receive them, when and why, change almost as often. Since I worked as an assistant to a cardiac surgeon for most of my career, I have little experience with other specialties.

Since retiring, I have been reading up on diagnostic and surgical techniques pre-civil war up until about 1950. There are plenty of newbies around to take care of all the high tech stuff (if it survives with us) but there will be few who can do the same procedures without it.

Reactions: Ladysurvivalist

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Retired for the past 11 years. Nursing school was 35 years ago. We had never heard of nasal vaccines in 1978. New drugs come out daily, vaccines, who should receive them, when and why, change almost as often. Since I worked as an assistant to a cardiac surgeon for most of my career, I have little experience with other specialties.

Since retiring, I have been reading up on diagnostic and surgical techniques pre-civil war up until about 1950. There are plenty of newbies around to take care of all the high tech stuff (if it survives with us) but there will be few who can do the same procedures without it.
my mother has been an RN for over 40 years........she knows very little about vaccines

I love when folks think that nurses or doctors have some sort of special knowledge on vaccines.....very very little vaccine education in either school of healing

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
You wanted links, so look at the CDC's webpage. The normal shot is a killed vaccine - there's no live virus in the vaccine, you won't get influenza from the vaccine, and nobody can get sick from you getting the vaccine.
QUOTE]

so if after a flu shot you get the SAME symptoms as the flu(but maybe the doc said you didnt have the actual "flu") does it really matter?

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Flu shots are not the live virus. No, they don't need to be avoided. .
what if they have been proven not to work as they should?

what if they have not brought the rates of elderly dead down?

what if they havent even brought the rates of the flu down?

·
Indefatigable
21,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, DO pregnant women need to avoid people who have taken the live NASAL form? For how long?

·
bruh?
177 Posts
my mother has been an RN for over 40 years........she knows very little about vaccines

I love when folks think that nurses or doctors have some sort of special knowledge on vaccines.....very very little vaccine education in either school of healing
There's quite a bit of education on vaccination in medical school.

·
bruh?
177 Posts
other than the basic theory of vaccination?????
Yes, there is an entire M1 class devoted to it called "immunology." Effectiveness and other applications are addressed in a whopper of a class called epidemiology. Pharmacology as well.

There isn't a lot to it. Give killed or attenuated virus to individual, virus expresses non-self proteins picked up antigen presenting cells, migration to lymph nodes, adaptive immune response is triggered vis a vis clonal expansion, creation of memory B and memory T cells allows more rapid response if body is challenged with the same antigen again. Extremely effective, very safe, and end result is that we've eliminated a lot of 3rd world pathogens completely that used to regularly killed us and our children.

Of course people can decide whether or not to be vaccinated, and there are more than quite a few groups out there, mostly comprised of uneducated people (in my experience), who continually advise people against vaccination for any number of (in my opinion) tin-foil hat reasons.

Getting vaccinated is up to the individual, as it should be.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
. Extremely effective, very safe, and end result is that we've eliminated a lot of 3rd world pathogens completely that used to regularly killed us and our children.

can you find me those scientific studies that prove safety and real world protection????
and ummmm we dont live in a 3rd world country...conditions are markedly different here in the US

Of course people can decide whether or not to be vaccinated, and there are more than quite a few groups out there, mostly comprised of uneducated people (in my experience), who continually advise people against vaccination for any number of (in my opinion) tin-foil hat reasons.

studies have shown that the more "educated" you are the more likely you are to eschew vaccination

what about the educated folk?....w/ real questions......that dont want a pat on the head and a "dont worry about it....Im a DOCTOR"

Getting vaccinated is up to the individual, as it should be.
then where are the doctor groups that think the same as you???...I agree..it should be up to the individual

1 - 20 of 30 Posts