Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Dances with Salmon
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never had a flu shot in my life, but my wife has always gone down to the local RX to get them each year.
She said something about getting them for the kids, but I am not sure how I feel about this.
Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly they are injecting you with and are there any negatives, side effects etc?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
It's basically dead flu germs in a sterile fluid. I don't see the harm, but I'm not into biology. Some swear not to, others do. I have no idea, but I know they are all dead. They also pick the one strain they 'think' will be the biggest threat. And that's a toss up.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I have never had a flu shot in my life, but my wife has always gone down to the local RX to get them each year.
She said something about getting them for the kids, but I am not sure how I feel about this.
Can anyone enlighten me on what exactly they are injecting you with and are there any negatives, side effects etc?
Thanks in advance.
They are injecting dead influenza cells from the most likely strains of the year. Most common side effects are soreness at the injection site and fever.

For me- even though they say you can't catch the flu from the shot- I always get sick after the shot. Not flu-sick- but sick, like a mild-moderate cold.

Given that the risks of flu for small children include a higher percentage of death than I am comfortable with- I risk the shot for mine. But- I understand that some are concerned about the thimerisol content of the vaccines.

·
American fearmaker
14,243 Posts
For most people getting a flu shot is okay and no threat at all. My body is sensitive to medicines so I don't get them. The Army docs once gave me a Yellow Fever shot and I was out of action for 3 whole days because of the way I reacted to it. I had a fever, didn't know where I was and sweated like no tomorrow. I get a similar sort of reaction, only milder, when I take a flu shot. I would be careful about getting my kids flu shots BUT I would consider it because it might just be the thing that saves their lives in the long run. Just watch over the kids after they get their shots or consider having your kids get their shots one at a time and spread out the potential problems. Have one kid each following week get a shot to see how they react.

·
Banned
9,294 Posts
Just say...NO!

In drinking water, mercury cannot exceed 2 parts per billion. With more than 200 parts per billion of mercury, liquid is considered hazardous waste. A mercury-containing flu shot vial has 50,000 parts per billion of mercury. How can something with 250x the mercury level of hazardous waste be deemed safe?

·
Inglourious Basterd
2,966 Posts
I would say that flu shots are a necessity for senoir citizens ,because the average flu, can and does kill many seniors yearly. Also if you work in a public service: teacher ,nurse,food service, police etc. I would recommend the flu shot,because if you are in contact with lots of people (especially children) YOU WILL GET THE FLU.

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I am pro flu shot, and get one every year. My daughter does as well, and she's only 4. 4 years ago when I skipped the shot, I got the flu, and that's served as a good reminder every year since then.

HippieSurvivalist

·
Registered
215 Posts
The only time I've ever had the flu shot was for 2 years while I worked at the county health department. Didn't have the flu then, haven't had it since. I don't get them but not because I'm opposed. I just don't see the point for me.

·
just waitin' for it
680 Posts
I've only had 2 (forced) flu shots... Got ill both times. Was rushed to the emergency room the last time when I stopped breathing. Haven't had one since, and haven't gotten sick since(7 years)! Besides, Shooting kids up with mercury, in any amount, is just sick! The best way to stay healthy is to get sick. That's how your immune system works!

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
In drinking water, mercury cannot exceed 2 parts per billion. With more than 200 parts per billion of mercury, liquid is considered hazardous waste. A mercury-containing flu shot vial has 50,000 parts per billion of mercury. How can something with 250x the mercury level of hazardous waste be deemed safe?
Most of the mercury has been phased out of vaccines at this point. If you're concerned all you have to do is ask the doc if its in the vaccines they are recommending- and if there is another option available. (In almost all cases, there is.)

·
Registered
806 Posts
I'd rather have flu than flu shots. a couple days of aches and sniffles is not so bad.

I tried flu shot once when I was headed overseas, got the flu at Christmas in Hong Kong anyway. So the gamble was a failure.

save the vaccines for the serious diseases. I'm full on tetanus, yellow fever, Hep b, etc.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I'd rather have flu than flu shots. a couple days of aches and sniffles is not so bad.

I tried flu shot once when I was headed overseas, got the flu at Christmas in Hong Kong anyway. So the gamble was a failure.

save the vaccines for the serious diseases. I'm full on tetanus, yellow fever, Hep b, etc.
If you think the flu is a couple days of aches and sniffles, you've never had the actual flu.

Think one to two weeks of bedridden debilitating misery and then you'll be closer to what the flu actually is. The flu is NOT the common cold, and the flu can *kill* a child.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I haven't had any flu shots and I think I wont have any. You never know what to expect with autoimmune disease and something messing with your immune system, be it a virus or a vaccine. But I sort of know what a virus does to me, so I choose what is more known.

I had the last flu and it sure was no sniffles. Landed me in hospital because I couldn't drink and keep fluids down and I had a very high fever for 7 days straight.

Normal people don't get flu shots here and most are fine. Thing is, you can't know before fact if you will be fine or not...

·
Banned
9,787 Posts
Flu kills more people per year than Aids in (Just in America I think). The people it kills are usually the young and elderly. When people don't get vaccinated they just become a holding tank for spreading infection to those with under developed and weak immune systems.

Everyone should get their vaccines, not for their health but for the health of others.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
I get them and so does my doctor. He is an old friend of mine. I haven't had the flu in years. I work in medical facilities all over the place. My doctor gives shots to his own kids and family. I took the shingles vac recently as well. both my parents had shingles and mom almost died from it. Getting vacines is a personal choice. I am going to use them as a way of getting ready. I travel in third world countries and have seen an increase in polio and other things we thought had gone away. Good luck on what ever you do.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts