Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the holiday season also comes influenza. It is commonly thought to be benign, but nothing could be further from the truth. In 1918, a strain of the flu started in a Kansas Army barracks and then spread throughout North America and Europe killing approximately 20M people. It was called the "Spanish Flu."

Influenza comes in many varieties. Type A is the most common, but there are more virulent types such as the Swine and Avian (HxNx) strains. Contracting the virus is usually by contact, such as kissing, shaking hands, or touching contaminated surfaces that are infected. It can be transmitted by air, but contact is the most common mode. Public door handles, shopping cart handles, and gas pump handles are especially notorious.

Incubation can take as little as 36 hours and starts as a low grade fever with body aches headache, chills, nausea, diarrhea, and congestion. These symptoms progress until the infected person can no longer engage in daily activities and is confined to bed.

Before vaccines, antibiotics and antivirals, the mortality rate was as high as 25% in some parts of the world. Most of the people that died were the very young, elderly, or medically compromised. However, post-secondary infections, such as pneumonia can kill a healthy person.

Bed rest, adequate hydration, nutrition, anti-emetics and something for fever and body aches is usually sufficient. It can take up to 3 weeks to be completely asymptomatic. If you get worse, such as running a fever over 102 or have violent gastrointestinal symptoms see your doctor immediately.

Vaccinations are questionable because they are produced each year for the expected dominant strain. With the vaccine controversy, unless you are high risk, you might want to discuss the matter with your doctor.

During the Swine Flu scare in the mid 70's, a significant number of people developed Gullian-Barre syndrome which is an autoimmune neurological disorder. The spike in cases was traced back to the vaccine. Antivirals such as Tamiflu and Relenza can mitigate symptoms, but only if taken within 48 hours after exposure.

Your best way to deal with the flu is prevention. This means washing your hands frequently and avoiding large crowds in closed-in buildings. If a family member has the flu, avoid unnecessary contact if possible and wear a mask and gloves if you are the caretaker.

Be sure to get adequate rest, nutrition, sunlight, and avoiding stress can help keep your immune system in optimal condition helping you to deal with the flu and other respiratory and gastrointestinal seasonal illnesses.

·
Registered
72 Posts
its always flu season now..........
I work for a pharmaceutical distributor. We started ramping up and taking orders back in September. Our 'flu season' will end by the end of the year officially.

It hasn't been that bad of a year. It's done a number for the manufacturing ability for Becton-****inson to keep up with syringes and needles, but not a great spike that I've seen. Granted, you see that almost every year now.

·
Mod Certified PITA!
12,092 Posts
I got my flu vaccine shot last week. I didn't get the flu from it (although the injection site ached for a few days) and I'm no more autistic than I was before. So I guess all's right with the world. :D:

·
Banned
17,612 Posts
I caught a mild case of the flu about two weeks ago. I got up one morning, felt fine except for a slightly scratchy throat I put down to sleeping with my mouth open. Went about my daily business and was shopping at about 3 p.m. and it came over me like a tidal wave. I literally felt ok one minute, and within the next minute I felt like I was going to pass out, got shaky, weak, broke into a sweat, and got that "coming down with something" feeling. Literally, like one minute. I actually had to sit down for a few minutes. I finished my shopping and went home and took my temperature and it was 99.9, less than an hour after onset. Chills, fever, restless legs, mega sore throat, and body and joint pain so bad I felt like I had been in fight. Even my eyeballs ached. Spent the night bundled up from the neck down because my body was freezing, and with an ice pack on my head because my head was burning up and my thinking was getting a little strange. Dosed the crap out of myself with ibuprofen + tylenol + Zicam and hot tea. That night was horrible and the next morning I went to the doctor. Swabbed my nose and said it was flu.

I'm always so careful to wash my hands, use hand sanitizer, use my shirt tail or sweater to open doors, everything I can think of. I even use paper towels to hold the gas pump handle with because I've heard they are extremely dirty. And yet, I still got it somehow. Good news was it only lasted about 3 days where I felt really bad. The 4th day I woke up feeling much better.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
I got my flu vaccine shot last week. I didn't get the flu from it (although the injection site ached for a few days) and I'm no more autistic than I was before. So I guess all's right with the world. :D:
Again..I didn't get my flu shot this year too and all is well.....I didn't die some horrible death w/ my lungs bleeding and my dead body being thrown on a funeral pyre w/ the other million deaths

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
I had my flu jab two or three weeks ago and have never felt better.

I also think that walking the dog daily, in the cold weather we are having here in the UK is brilliant for killing off any nasties that maybe lurking.

·
Corpsman Up
2,937 Posts
I work in a Petri dish known as high school. Some years I get the vaccine and some I do not. I've been too lazy to get it this year.

No matter if I get it or not, I usually get a viral flu like illness in January which lasts about three weeks.

·
Shuriken snowflake
16,826 Posts
I missed my flu shot. I feel like avoiding people but I realize it's not really doable. Type A puts me in hospital so yay me. (And Vman I don't want snide comments).

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I got my flu shot a couple days ago, as it cost nothing and my elderly mother whom I like to visit every few weeks doesn't like to get one herself. I figured that I'm the one who's meeting lots more people and travelling to her from the city, so it satisfies my sense of due diligence against causing her unneeded grief. That said, I know the limitations of taking the prescribed vaccines and can appreciate if many people, especially those living in more isolated settings decide not to partake.

Another medication of note that I'm going to ask my doctor about is pneumococil (sp?), as I once caught pneumonia several years ago and might be at higher risk of catching it if subject to a flu or simply hospitalized over a car accident or similar misfortune. It's currently given here to children under five and the elderly. Given that many on a board like this are concerned about medical issues post-SHTF, it might be worth looking further into it, as it may help both in the event of contracting a severe flu but also protect against pneumonia a few years down the road in a scenario where quality hospital care is lacking.

·
Most Thankful Guy here
38,966 Posts
Due to a battle with Dengue Fever - the flu shot is forbidden.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sorry I just cannot bring myself to a flu shot appointment. Lots of drawbacks and side effects and I'm perfectly content with my usual practices such as:

Clean my hands constantly..not an OCD number of times, but be conscious of how much can land on door handles,sinks, etc. Try to avoid wiping your face unless absolutely necessary.

Drink lots of Orange Juice ( if applicable I know everyone cannot handle the acidic nature and other contents ) , Green Tea, Antioxidant Drinks commonly found in stores ( Bai, Genesis Today, Samazon are some of my favorites ), and plenty of water.

Taking plenty of physical exercise such as walking and cycling! Of course eat healthy and throw out the junk!

Does quite well for me so far and I feel great and haven't had anything more than slight sniffles in the last few years after rigidly conforming to that regimen.

·
Banned
4,888 Posts
Free 2 liter of Coke if you get your flu shot.......

while you are there you can get your shingles and meningitis shot too...25 % off your next prescription........

ahhhhh...the vaccine biz is alive and well............line up and roll up your sleeves

·
Registered
494 Posts
I got mine about 3weeks ago,slight tenderness was only ill effect. Got our Pneaumonia shots in 2010.
I started taking vitamins regularly back around 2000. I was working retail and would get sick a couple times a year and bad enough to be hospitalized.
Don't seem to get ill now at all. Had a slight cold that lasted less than 36hours last week In which I atribute to my Step Daughter coming over and coughing all over the house.

I had the Hong Kong flu in 68 up in Alaska as a Kid, 104temp for two weeks, mom would have to soak me in rubbing alcohol to bring it down. Hope never to be that sick again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts