Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's cold out so we are making cookies. (Not that our family ever needs a specific reason to make cookies!) I needed to open a new bag of flour and decided to open a Mylar bag of flour sealed on May 20, 2017 to see how it fared. It was stored in a 5 gallon Mylar bag with an oxygen absorber.

It's great... zero bugs. It smells fresh and I'll soon know if the cookies taste 'normal'. :)

That's only 4 1/2 years in storage, but I'm happy to know that it's still good after that time frame.
Brown Sleeve Font Metal Plastic
Food Ingredient Recipe Baked goods Dish

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Thanks for the thread!

Did you "air out" your flour over night before use, or use it rite after you opened the mylar?
I actually did let it air out overnight before using it but only because it was brought up just before bed. I wonder if it would have made any difference to have used it immediately? I kinda doubt it but I don't know. Maybe I'll try that with the next bag I open... whenever that may be.

It was also stored in a basement that is always cool (no heat down there) with very little humidity.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
That is great news, I sealed 50 Lbs just a week ago. What did you put in for oxygen absorbers? I see a number # 30 on the bag, is that thirty lbs? I might go out and pick up another fifty pound bag. I am nervous they will start lockdowns again!o_O
I used 300cc oxygen absorbers. Most bags I put just one in (including the bag above). I put two in a few bags just as a back-up.. in case one didn't work.

The 30# was how much flour is in that bag: three 10 lb. bags of flour.

If you can get another 50# bag... I'd do it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Let me understand how you did it. You took three 10 lb paper raped bags, loaded it into a 5 Gallon bag. Then dropped in a single 300 cc OA sealed it, and it made that long? I break down 50 LB bags in to 1 gallon bags, figure I have five lbs in each.
Sorry for the interrogation, but flour is used in so much of my cooking! I need to get more stored before Christmas.
Yes. I, obviously dumped the three 10lb bags into the mylar bag and threw away the paper bags. I put the single 300cc OA into the middle of the flour in the bag and sealed it. I used 7 mil mylar bags (I've been told that using lower mil can affect the effectiveness long term).

I think one of the biggest reasons mine was good after that long is the storage conditions. These bags are stored on shelves, in a cool (at times cold) basement with little light and very little humidity. We live in a dry climate.

I also have flour stored in smaller mylar bags. I only did a few of the 5 gallon bags but we also use a lot of flour in baking and cooking.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts