Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I've been trying some of my older stored stuff recently just to see how well things have held up, though I've not tried any flour yet. When I do I'll post something. The way I've been storing flour is to just vacuum seal it and then store it in a closed tote in a reasonable environment (closed in garage that is semi-heated / cooled without extreme temp changes).

More recently I've started Vacuum Sealing food then putting it in the deep freeze at -10f for several days prior to storing as I've read that weevil eggs etc. will not survive that, which may or may not be true but the way I look at it is that if it helps to prevent insects even partially it's worth it.

As for the stuff I've vacuum sealed or stored and used so far my experience has been:

Spam - Indefinite! Opened a can this year with a BB of 2012.... No different than new off the shelf.
Canned Vegetables (Green Beans, Corn, Peas) - Still Edible 5-7 years beyond BB Date, but taste was undesirable (I didn't eat them but tasted them, wouldn't eat unless I had to!).
Canned Tomatoes / Spag Sauce - Found too many cans swollen, obviously bad to where I would not likely go beyond a Year or so beyond BB (glass Jars or Perhaps Plastic should fare better, but acidic things are problematic).
White Rice - I've used rice that was just vacuum sealed and stored in a tote for 7 years, smelled a bit stale but was fine / fully edible (not the stuff I froze and without O2 absorbers).
Dried Beans - I've used some that have been stored vacuum sealed for 7 years (not the stuff I froze) and they have been fine. But I've also thrown out some red kidney beans that smelled somewhat rancid though they might have still been edible if washed good etc. I'm thinking that perhaps some beans that have a higher oil content in the skin might not hold up so well? Or perhaps it was the way they were processed had something to do with it.
Canned Hams - Seem to pretty much hold up similar to SPAM, but can have a bit of an off taste after several years.

Just some of my experiences.
Skip the freezing. If such were useful, "bugs" would never survive a winter.

They do...

Edit, adding: O2 absorbers over vacuum sealing. Always. Vacuum sealing for short to mid term storage only. Plastics are permeable, PLUS vacuum sealing doesn't remove enough O2. O2 absorbers do...

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I've opened one that was stored for about 8 years, and saw no difference. Some claim white flour cannot be stored over 1 year. Sure.
LDS #10 cans note 10 year storage life @ 70(ish) degrees.

Also had read of iron odor / taste due to O2 adsorbers, which dissipates after opening if left to "air out". Hence my question above. Seems a non issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts