Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's cold out so we are making cookies. (Not that our family ever needs a specific reason to make cookies!) I needed to open a new bag of flour and decided to open a Mylar bag of flour sealed on May 20, 2017 to see how it fared. It was stored in a 5 gallon Mylar bag with an oxygen absorber.

It's great... zero bugs. It smells fresh and I'll soon know if the cookies taste 'normal'. :)

That's only 4 1/2 years in storage, but I'm happy to know that it's still good after that time frame.
Brown Sleeve Font Metal Plastic
Food Ingredient Recipe Baked goods Dish

·
Super Moderator
Trash Remover
4,870 Posts
No point in storing self rising flour, the baking powder will deactivate fairly quickly, so you'll still have to add baking powder (cream of tarter & baking soda) .

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Was not self rising. Even with the yeast it just did not rise very much
And this is why we have said here over and over again that if you want to store something beyond its usual pantry life, you should package it with oxygen absorbers in jars protected from light, cans, or mylar. You should protect the mylar from damage by placing it inside a can, tote, or bucket. A plastic bucket itself will not prolong shelf life, though, and adding an oxygen absorber to one will only prolong it somewhat since plastic is semipervious to both the oxygen and humidity in air.

·
Registered
24 Posts
And this is why we have said here over and over again that if you want to store something beyond its usual pantry life, you should package it with oxygen absorbers in jars protected from light, cans, or mylar. You should protect the mylar from damage by placing it inside a can, tote, or bucket. A plastic bucket itself will not prolong shelf life, though, and adding an oxygen absorber to one will only prolong it somewhat since plastic is semipervious to both the oxygen and humidity in air.
This was just a bucket that I put flour in without the mylar or absorbers to see what it would be like in a few years. We have over a 2 year supply of most things in mylar or canned . Was just a test to see how long it would last. No loss, still good enough for bread for chickens as treat from time to time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Had to move my dad out of his home last year. He and mom had some food storage in 5 gallon buckets. The buckets had been sitting in the storage room, some over 30 years. The plastic had become brittle and a soft kick to the side would crack the buckets.

BUT, all the contents were, visibly, still good. No bugs. Beans still smelled good, rice and flour. I couldn't believe it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts