Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name is Joel and I have begun an adventure to section hike the entire Florida Trail one weekend at a time. I have a website to document my adventures. If you would like to see videos and pictures or read blogs from the Florida Trail go to www.floridatrailproject.com . You can also email me at [email protected] .

For those who have been to the site before, but not for awhile, there have been many additions to the site:

- Navigation menu to help make the website more "user friendly"
- New videos and photos
- "Bucket List" feature

Since I am only hiking on the weekends between October and April, I estimate that this adventure may take around 8 years to complete. Hopefully I will be able to see this adventure to its completion.

Hope you enjoy the site.

Joel (Trailname - Whitesnake)

·
Backpacker I Adventurer
1,031 Posts
That's awesome mate, and good luck on this trip. I'm planning a similar one myself but the Ice Age Trail here in Wisconsin, 1,100 miles long. Do have a question. How have you solved the problem of driving to your launch site, and getting back after you've hiked your alloted days. This is my problem i'm trying to work out without spending a lot of money.

·
The Maker
1,679 Posts
good luck on your trek. i have hiked parts of the florida trail and it is a very beautiful walk. i have lived in florida my entire life and i love our wilderness. some times of the year it is very very hot in those pine forests so remember to bring plenty of water. and watch out for the rainbow tribe lol :). are you going to attempt some foraging?we have plenty of wild edibles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's awesome mate, and good luck on this trip. I'm planning a similar one myself but the Ice Age Trail here in Wisconsin, 1,100 miles long. Do have a question. How have you solved the problem of driving to your launch site, and getting back after you've hiked your alloted days. This is my problem i'm trying to work out without spending a lot of money.
Right now I am hiking close to home, so my wife comes and picks me up when I am done and drives me back to where I left the car. Eventually I will be hiking to far from home and I will be hiking back to the starting point the following day ... meaning I will be hiking the same section of trail twice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good luck on your trek. i have hiked parts of the florida trail and it is a very beautiful walk. i have lived in florida my entire life and i love our wilderness. some times of the year it is very very hot in those pine forests so remember to bring plenty of water. and watch out for the rainbow tribe lol :). are you going to attempt some foraging?we have plenty of wild edibles.
I am not very familiar with the plants out here, so I probably will not be foraging. I enjoy my beef jerky too much to try anything wild. Sorry...I know that is not very "Survivalist" of me :).

·
Registered
101 Posts
I was just looking into making that Trailwaker Program from the Division of Forestry. What area in Florida are you in?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Biking To Trail Start

Hey Potantsuem, I have just read on another message board a solution to getting back to you car after hiking without having to hike both ways. If both ends of the trail are accessible by road and you own a bike, take your bike in the car with you. Park at the end of the trail, bike by road to the start of the trail, lock your bike, hike the trail to your car, then drive back to where you left the bike. Although it may be a little more complicated, you could possibly turn a two-day hike into a day hike since you would not have to hike both ways.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Trailwalker Program

I was just looking into making that Trailwaker Program from the Division of Forestry. What area in Florida are you in?
I live closest to the Blackwater section of the trail in the panhandle. Unfortunately, I do not know any details on how the Trailwalker Program works. My goal is to hike the entire Florida Trail from North to South.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
Good luck with your adventure Bru, wish I had the time and the scenery you guys have.
A running account and loads of pics on this forum would be great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts