·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ocala Florida Camp and meet and greet November 2011

Ocala, Florida camp and meet and greet November 2011

Ocala, Florida campout
Date- November 18, 19th and 20 2011

Location- Lake Shore Group Camp, Ocala, Florida.

Time- Arrive any time after 2pm on Friday. Leave out by 11am on Sunday.

Food- bring your own. No planned communal meals this go around per the request of NUMEROUS people. In other words, plan to feed yourself the entire time your there.

Facilities- nice lake view area to camp at. Plenty of grass, some shady trees. A short 20-40 yard walk to hot showers, real toilets and vehicles.

Feel free to come for the entire time, the day, a couple hours. Your call.

Kids- families are always welcome. That being said, we expect you to control and keep watch over any children in your care. Their is a lake (drowning hazard) and a fire always going (burn hazard). Make sure your children know not to kick dirt at people, throw sticks and firewood toward people, etc. Think "church behavior" not out of control had 10 bags of candy behavior. Help the campout be enjoyable for EVERYONE.

Classes and other instruction- open to ideas/requests but as usual their will be numerous free classes.

Cost of campout- $20. per family, payable at campout. These camp sites aren't free! Of course everyone understands that the low cost of $20. for a weekend of camping and classes is a good value.

Firewood- If everyone brings a little bit, we should be good. It's almost a 6 hour trip for me, so bringing a truck and trailerload like I do at the GA campout isn't an option unfortunately. It doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to burn

Weather- is always unpredictable, plan accordingly.

Look forward to seeing folks again!

Lowdown3

If you really want to meet folks from Florida and Georgia that are really doing things, versus just saying they want to meet others but never leaving their computer, then this campout/meet and greet is a great way to do it.

Free classes, good fellowship. Come for the day, for a few hours or the whole weekend, your choice.

RSVP to
[email protected]

More info will be posted here-

http://www.survivalandpreparednessf...eet-and-greet-November-2011&p=22958#post22958

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This year- the 9th year we have had campouts consistently there- we will focus more on "base camp' related skills.

We will look a variety of different water filtration and purification options and everyone will have a chance to try theirs and others out. We'll build some improvised ones both with stuff you can buy and stuff you might find in the field.

Using pellet guns, we will have a class on Basic rifle marksmanship. The principles are the same whether it's a sniper rifle, BB gun or AK. We can't use real weapons at the site. But their is a public range about 10 miles away if folks are interested in heading down there.

We'll be updating info regularly,

·
USArmy Vietnam Vet 70-73
997 Posts
Us too will see if we can work it out....and Thanks so much for putting this together.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wish you were closer Grinnan! Their is a an awesome group of 20-40 people that regularly attend these. Lots of solid people, no egos or attitudes, no whackos. Very family friendly!

Bjjgrappler- we have always had some sort of barter time at these. Some very interesting and sometimes hard to find stuff comes up from time to time. Often times people leave with a lot of FREE material also, from big sections of new 550 cord to field gear, books, etc.

I don't think you'd find anyone unwilling to take PM's in trade. Just watch out for Master Blaster and Auntie, they are both fighting for control of bartertown... LOL

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try to make it but not sure until the middle of October. Once I am sure I will send you and email.
Would love to have you there bro. I think we met at another campout (not one of mine) a few years ago if your the same fellow I'm thinking about.

A little more normal folks at this campout than that other one from that other place. :thumb:

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
bump, i want in on this.

·
Film Maker, Video Editor
139 Posts
Living in Florida would love to but this no good for South Florida residents, Perhaps you should plan on something mid state and not so far North where the drive is equal for both like Peace River. Peace River to use is 3+ hours, Ocala is 5+ hours.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Reverend- LOL I drive six hours just to host this event. 2-4 others drive from further North in GA. We have had people from SC, TN, AL and even Virginia years ago :thumb:

I don't go any further south to put on free events, sorry.

While I've been putting on events like this since the early 90's, I can't host one in everyone's backyard. I've never heard someone that actually attended say "it wasn't worth the drive."

·
Pull up your Dora panties
7,377 Posts
is there a sign up sheet, or who do we contact to arrange a camping spot reservation?

·
Film Maker, Video Editor
139 Posts
I don't go any further south to put on free events, sorry.

While I've been putting on events like this since the early 90's, I can't host one in everyone's backyard. I've never heard someone that actually attended say "it wasn't worth the drive."
Well first of all your location states Florida / Georgia. so I have no idea where you live. Second of all no need to catch an attitude no one is askng you to throw a party in my backyard, especially since the location I mentioned was more than 4 hours from me.

I have thrown Free events all over Florida and have travelled thousands of miles to events regardless if they were free or not. I am not stating that your event is not worth the drive. Furthermore food for thought, the location I mentioned had Kayaking, Canoeing, Camping, Fossil Hunting and a great deal more thus is why I mentioned it. I made a simple suggestion that may attract far more people, if you chose to not accept it that is fine with me.

The proper way of saying it should have been: I am sorry I do not throw events that far, but you should make the drive snce it is an amazing event with a great deal of cool people which you would enjoy. - That sounds far more inviting than the way you came off to be honest. For someone who has thrown so many events, I would assume you would be far more friendlier to new people who may have had some interest at some point of attending.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Reverend- perhaps we both could have stated things differently, starting with you posting this-

Living in Florida would love to but this no good for South Florida residents
"No good" cause it requires some effort or a little driving to go there is the implication when you read that.

No problems brother.
The serious people make the trip. And honestly in almost 10 years of events at that location, only a couple people from this site have actually attended there, despite having 25 to 40+ people in attendance every time. Usually it's folks from Frugal Squirrels, Arfcom, SurvivalandPreparedness.com etc. For some reason their is always a lot of TALK about getting out and meeting others at this site, but few that actually make the effort. ******* Noise and Angry American are the only ones I can remember specifically from this site that have attended any of the numerous events we have held in that area.

Our events offer Free classes from people that have actually been doing this a long period of time (i.e, NOT 3 years) and we have offered free classes and instruction in bow drill and primitive firemaking, first aid, ground fighting, tracking and anti tracking, shelter building, BOB setup, land navigation, nuclear protection and survival, reloading, home canning, knife fighting, dutch oven cooking, jungle lane walks, and other subjects. NONE of these being sit around on your arse and discuss it type deals.

I know of no other event that offers the depth of free instruction in a family friendly safe atmosphere anywhere in the Southeast.

It's up to people to decide for themselves if they want to make a little effort to drive for free instruction from knowledgeable people, good fellowship with like minded folks that are actually doing something, good food, camping, etc. And people from as far away as Virginia have attended before and people from SC, N. Georgia, South Florida, etc. regularly make the trip. I just make the opportunity available, people have to make the effort. :thumb:

1 - 20 of 51 Posts