Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I did it. Ordered a float tube and wanna give this a try.

Open faced spinning reels will be on board - no fly fishing here. Anyone else fish from float tubes? You ever get nibbled by a turtle or worse? Im starting to wonder how to not scare myself while out floating wondering what all is going on below me!

Just looking for stories of any experiences you have had on your tubes while I wait for the UPS guy to drop mine off in a few days

·
Spectre
595 Posts
I just picked up a float tube a few months ago. I got the Creek Company ODC 420 ul. I havnt been able to try it out yet but the plan is to take it out this Monday.
I had the same thoughts on the turtles lol. I picked up a couple waterproof pouches and tackle boxes for mine. Just in case I somehow pop a hole in the thing.

·
Frosty
298 Posts
I've done a bit of it. In fact, in these high Colorado lakes, a lot of people take advantage of it. Just make sure you get quality flippers if you're going to do any bank trolling/ traveling, otherwise you're in for one hell of a leg workout (which may not be a bad thing).

The funnest part is hooking a fish that's big enough to pull you around until you land it. The most satisfying part is crawling out of the water and tossing your tube in the bed of your truck - much easier than messing with a boat. Overall, an underrated way to fish.

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah ive been checking youtube - mostly fly fishing when ill be open faced spinning - but great to see people out and about in em

hoping to avoid attracting turtles and kind of looking forward to getting pulled around a bit by a lunker - just gotta get a life vest from a buddy and Ill be good to go - ill try to report back or start a new thread - in the meantime - there has got to be a few more float tube fisherman here - post a little about your fun times!

·
Spectre
595 Posts
I just took my tube out tday and caught more crappie then I could count. Even caught a 15" bass that started to pull me a little bit.
I wish I would have bought a small anchor. I tried out the cheap fins my tube came with and a set of dive fins. The cheapo fins are pure garbage and the I fell in love with the dive fins the second I tried them out.
I had a small plano waterproof tackle box that did great, the non waterproof box didnt fare to well. I spent about 6 hours kicking around today and I dont think I will be fishing from the shore for some time now (at least until the water gets to cold).

·
Bush Walker
4,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
which fins came with your tube? My float tube package has fins included~wondering if I should expect to be less than thrilled when they arrive

Found a perfect float spot yesterday - cant wait to get the tube in the mail and get out on the water

·
Spectre
595 Posts
which fins came with your tube? My float tube package has fins included~wondering if I should expect to be less than thrilled when they arrive

Found a perfect float spot yesterday - cant wait to get the tube in the mail and get out on the water
I got my tube off ebay as a package that came with some hard plastic fins with a strap on them, the tube and pump. The fins work ok, not as well or comfortable as the dive fins. Here's a pic of my tube in action.

·
Rebel with a cause
581 Posts
Not many people use a tube around here, Too many gar fish. A gar will take a chunk out of you that looks like a Jaws attack.

·
Rider on the Storm
102 Posts
Not many people use a tube around here, Too many gar fish. A gar will take a chunk out of you that looks like a Jaws attack.
I agree, no gator gars here but the northerns and snakes make me think twice about dangling my legs underwater. I'd be like those guys on Swamp People - carrying a 30-06 with me on the tube. :D:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts