Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts
There's a chance some of the fired Armasight employees forming their own company. I believe Armasight itself was created by former ATN employees. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Trijicon makes a better thermal sight anyways.

didn't someone post about the feds "eminent domain " a bunch of NVG tubes?
Source?

·
Banned
4,841 Posts
There's a chance some of the fired Armasight employees forming their own company. I believe Armasight itself was created by former ATN employees. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Trijicon makes a better thermal sight anyways.

Source?
`

It was talked about in on of the VA threads, not sure which one/s & what if any sources were cited.

·
Registered
10,820 Posts

·
operatorchan.org
2,798 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts

·
I love this *****
33,879 Posts
I got this on another forum.

It seems that FLIR is ceasing all civilian sales of their rifle scopes to the public. Apparently the Armasight line is dead as well. The "ban" is set to start on Monday, Jan 20,2020. This is not good.

https://www.internationalsportsman.com/breaking-flir-discontinues-all-civilian-sales-2/
Are there any other companies that make a similar product? If not ... here's a great opportunity for a pro-American to capitalize on FLIR's ignorant decision (if such a decision was actually made).

Edit: It appears that night vision scopes are made by several other companies: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=night+vision+scope&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,896 Posts
The thing that's great about a competitive marketplace is that if a product is in high demand, then a source for that product will be found.

It might be a Russian unit, but many Russian products are catching up in terms of quality.

I'm fairly confident that if US shooters want thermal riflesights, there will continue to be a source somewhere on the planet for thermal riflesights to meet that demand.

FLIR is not the only game in town. In fact, in the below article the name 'FLIR' didn't even make the top ten list:

https://thegunzone.com/best-thermal-imaging-rifle-scopes/

(which, if the news is true, might be part of the problem...)

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,282 Posts
Read the "WHOLE" article that you posted a link too. He speaks about FLIR Company near the bottom.

I notice that "Only" products available from Amazon are listed. Who I would guess paid for the article.

While it is an informative good article.....if he was truly talking about the "BEST" they start at $24,000.00 and go up to well over $200,000.00

Now about the following statement I could be wrong........but I think that FLIR makes the key components that those other companies use in their optics. And my wild guess is that maybe FLIR is dropping their direct to retail brand, and going to only make components for others. I also "kind'a" remember that maybe they sold the brand name and some of their retail product line last year to another company.

FLIR is not the only game in town. In fact, in the below article the name 'FLIR' didn't even make the top ten list:

https://thegunzone.com/best-thermal-imaging-rifle-scopes/

(which, if the news is true, might be part of the problem...)

·
Bad Moon Rising
8,896 Posts
Read the "WHOLE" article that you posted a link too. He speaks about FLIR Company near the bottom.

I notice that "Only" products available from Amazon are listed.

While it is an informative good article.....if he was truly talking about the "BEST" they start at $24,000.00 and go up to well over $200,000.00

Now about the following statement I could be wrong........but I think that FLIR makes the key components that those other companies use in their optics. And my wild guess is that maybe FLIR is dropping their direct to retail brand, and going to only make components for others. I also "kind'a" remember that maybe they sold their retail product line last year.
I did read the entire article, and you're right - it mentions FLIR as a reliable manufacturer. But of the top ten thermal sights listed in the article, none of them were referenced as being manufactured by FLIR. Wonder why?

I also read the comments, in which a reader notes that Trijicon makes a reasonably high quality product line as well.

And with respect to your last sentence, how many civilian buyers of a thermal sight are up for spending $24,000 to $200,000 on them? Explicitly or implicitly, the article is aimed at a market segment comprised of mainly civilian buyers - not governments.

I suspect you're correct that FLIR is manufacturing components that these other companies are using. But I also suspect that if FLIR were to refuse to sell them the components, they could find them from other sources. I seriously doubt that FLIR is the only source for key components world-wide.

ETA: IF its true, as suggested above, that the board of directors wants to avoid association with the civilian market, selling components to other manufacturers is one way of avoiding association with but still making a profit off the civilian market.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts