Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of flint knapping? I actually have picked up this skill. Its really fun. Just the concept of making a huge chunk of rock into a very useful peice of equiptment,Fire,hunting,spear,knife,etc. I found a cuple of great videos of the basics.

Tools:

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Had a class on this, when a Boy Scout.
Scoutmaster recommended I learn how to throw rocks real good.

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
It's not a terrifically hard skill to pick up. I worked on a farm by a pretty big river, and when we would head down there for a mid day break we would often jump in then lie in the 100 degree heat to dry off before jumping in again. As I would sit there drying, I would start banging rocks together. Got some manageable hand axes, a few little fleck blades.

Now, I couldn't pull off an arrow head if you paid me, but the main thing to remeber is that the root of making knapped tools (They need not be flint, obsidian, or even some hard sedimentary rocks work fine) is simply to break open the rock to find the sharp part hidden inside.

Knowing you can split a piece of igneous rock and get a blade of any needed size is too valuable to put off learning the skill because it seems difficult in the hands of masters. Cavemen did this, anybody who sets to it can figure it out.

But wear gloves as you learn, and expect a blood blister or two.

·
Earthwalker.
10,287 Posts
You can always practice using the underside of glass bottles. They are pretty close to obsidian when knapping. My best knapping tool is a 4 inch wooden dowell with a 5 inch nail through it.
Im going to try that out:thumb:

I got a piece of rattan with a copper nail for my knapping tool now thanks to a friend.:thumb:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts