Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what steel flat bars are made from? From what Im guessing its a tool steel thats been case harden.

·
Super Moderator
12,300 Posts
The common flats in most metal supply wharehouses is sweet iron. Just standard, common carbon steel. If a piece has any special treatment, there will be a sticker on it, or a sign on the bin, or something to show it is other than plain carbon steel.

At least that has been my experience.

·
Super Moderator
12,300 Posts
I think you'll be disappointed with the result. They can be treated to bring them up to a more usable form, but starting with appropriate steel will make for better knives. Tool steel, files, and saw blades are all possible sources of metal with which to make knives.

Again, just my experience. I'm not a metalurgist or knife maker.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I think you'll be disappointed with the result. They can be treated to bring them up to a more usable form, but starting with appropriate steel will make for better knives. Tool steel, files, and saw blades are all possible sources of metal with which to make knives.

Again, just my experience. I'm not a metalurgist or knife maker.
What Jerry said. Google knife making supplies and you can find a source for
a good carbon steel that will take the heat-treating and turn out well. I know what you're talking about from Home Depot, and its junk when it comes to knife making. Get yourself some D-2, or 1095.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usally use 1095 and spring steel and angle iron but at the moment my wallet is alittle tight and I thought maybe flats would be a cheaper source

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I usally use 1095 and spring steel and angle iron but at the moment my wallet is alittle tight and I thought maybe flats would be a cheaper source
I've found the NJ Steel Baron to be well priced for 1095, just got 4' for not a lot of money. The flats at Home Depot won't take abuse and don't make good knives, but they're fine for grind practice.

·
Contego Libertas
6,775 Posts
As a general rule the structural steel you are looking at is not fit for knife making. Even hardened it will be too soft for a blade....Throwing knife maybe. But it will still bend. You'd be better off looking at scrap springs or something similar. Even scrapped saws.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts