Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, first post in a long time. I was wondering what flashlight(s) you guys carry. I'm looking for one that runs on AA batteries and puts out a goodd amount of light. My uncle recommended the Inova ones but I don't think those run on AA. What would you recommend?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Of the battery powered items I have added to preps, my goal has been to have ONLY items that are powered by AA batteries. Therefore I spent a bit of time evaluating small, inexpensive (but durable) flashlights that use a single AA.

I ended up buying several of these: http://www.texastooltraders.com/Ele...lights/Radians-DPGA-1AAT-Dewalt-p6903486.html

I haven't used them long enough to post any kind of long-term evaluation, but (1) they are bright, (2) they are cheap, (3) they seem to be quite durable, (4) they don't roll off a surface like my freakin Maglight, and (5) they seem to have really good battery life.

To elaborate on point #5, when I got these lights about 6 months ago I put in some AAs that had been in my metal detector for about 5 years. Just some crappy Walgreens alkalines. After a summer of camping, I still haven't changed out the batteries, and they are still burning bright! Not sure if that speaks more about the Walgreens battery or the Radians light...

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/water-resistant-led-flashlight-96947.html

They put out 1 watt of light, cheap, rugged, rubber coated and waterproof, cheap, 1 watt of light, nicely balanced focused beam with a good radius, cheap, 1 watt of light, take four AA's and they'll run for *a long time* on those, GREAT hiking light, lots of light, cheap etc etc etc.

I've been suggesting them for a couple of years on this and other forums....and for some reason, I doubt that a single person has ever tried one. Perhaps I'm wasting my breath? lol They are great lights, though. We have probably two dozen here in the house now. I order a couple more every time I order from Harbor Freight. In all, one has a single LED that was out, no probs other than that one LED.

rich

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If you have never played with one of these, I highly recommend you do so. Even if it isn't your primary light, In a true SHTF situation you really cant have a better light than this little guy.

The ability to use three different batteries, try and beet that. And for 27.00 what do you really have to loose?

http://www.rei.com/product/769769

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
I carry one of two lights as my EDC: NiteCore SmartPD EX10 or a NiteCore EZAA, mainly dependent on whether I'm out of CR123 bateries or not.

Both are awesome lights, similar brightness and great battery life. The EX10 is about the size of a 3" 12ga shotgun shell and puts out 145 lumens for ~ 90 mins. Adjustable brightness anywhere between 3 and 145 lumens with memory to remember your last brightness setting.

The EZAA is barely larger than the AA battery that powers it, 130 lumens for ~50 minutes. High and low setting. Both are awesome lights, rugged, have been through plenty of abuse and still working great.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Great light

9290 AA Tactical Flashlight made by Maratac. I have been using this for about six months and it is a solid, bright little light. 1 aa batt and your good to go. A little spendy but well worth it.

·
Banned
245 Posts
They put out 1 watt of light, cheap, rugged, rubber coated and waterproof, cheap, 1 watt of light, nicely balanced focused beam with a good radius, cheap, 1 watt of light, take four AA's and they'll run for *a long time* on those, GREAT hiking light, lots of light, cheap etc etc etc.
Huh?

Watt is a measure of power consumption. ie.. volts * ampere

I'd just get a min-mag.

·
Furry
1,477 Posts
Mag lite with LED conversion kit.
I agree with fire65; Maglite converted to led has alot going for it; I personally love my Surefire lights but they are quite pricey both to own and to feed; if you do go with Surefire , never go with cheap CR123 batteries as there has been some misfortune to owners who have gone this route. :thumb:

·
Human bean of planet Urf
4,863 Posts
Huh?

Watt is a measure of power consumption. ie.. volts * ampere
That was paraphrased from my other posts on the same item. The complete sentence was "they put out almost exactly as much light as a 1 watt light ie 40-50 lumens."

rich

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
I recommend the Fenix LD20.

It's reasonably priced, good quality, and puts out good light.

There are superior lights out there however they cost a penny and people buy them more for the brand name and associated 'prestige' than actual value.

Here's a picture of mine, the biggest one there (middle) is the LD20

And here's a youtube review of it:

·
Registered
128 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/water-resistant-led-flashlight-96947.html

I've been suggesting them for a couple of years on this and other forums....and for some reason, I doubt that a single person has ever tried one. Perhaps I'm wasting my breath? lol They are great lights, though. We have probably two dozen here in the house now. I order a couple more every time I order from Harbor Freight. In all, one has a single LED that was out, no probs other than that one LED.

rich
Rich, I've tried 'em. For the price, you can certainly avoid crying if ya break one or lose one. But frankly, for "our" purposes they are too big, they are not bright enough to justify 4 cells, and the wimpy plastic internal holder block thingy you put the cells in is a piece of crap. They eventually break under the pressure of the springs that hold in the cells.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Mag lite with LED conversion kit.
That's what I thought after I converted my 2xAA Mini Mag to led. But then I bought those Radians lights I spoke of above, and a side-by-side comparison of brightness leaves no doubt of my fave.

But you're right about the LED conversion being a major upgrade, makes a Mag with the OEM bulb look like a joke!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'm a SureFire guy to be sure but I hear what you're saying re: $$$ & plain batteries. Do you have a CostCo where you are? I just picked up a set of 3 @ 100 lumens (Cree L.E.D.s) for $15+! Hard to beat @ $5 each. Each owered by 3 AAA. Makes replacement/spares/duplication easy.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm a SureFire guy to be sure but I hear what you're saying re: $$$ & plain batteries. Do you have a CostCo where you are? I just picked up a set of 3 @ 100 lumens (Cree L.E.D.s) for $15+! Hard to beat @ $5 each. Each owered by 3 AAA. Makes replacement/spares/duplication easy.
Really funny you mentioned that, because in spite of my AA fetish I actually just bought one of these 3-packs @ Costco. Me & the family took the popup trailer to N Cal last month and I didn't want to put the Radians lights in the trailer. So I spent the $15, and darn if these aren't pretty good lights too! Shoot, the pack COMES WITH 9 AAAs, making the true cost of the lights even less. I won't cry when the boys lose one of these, whereas I'd be kinda mad if they lost a $25 light... And the Radians lights get to go back in the GHBs where they belong.

·
Sugar-free
4,184 Posts
I use what I carried in Iraq.
It's the Pelican MityLite 2340. a SIMPE and incredibly rugged flashlight. Made by the same folks who make Pelican gun cases used by the Navy Seals. It's bright, and you can't break it! They are a little pricey, at 15 bucks-but you get what you pay for.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts