Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
I've been hearing alot in the news recently on flash mobs and flash robs... is it just me or are these people crazy????

Apparently it has evolved to the point where groups just go out and and steal stuff; I heard of an incident where a platoon size element of kids flash robbed a toy store. Do people really have nothing better to do with their time anymore???

this thread has the potential to be hillarious, I'm sure Crutch might have some fresh comedy for this topic...

·
Banned
3,889 Posts
No need to say "WTF" in the opening thread. We know what's going on: the continuing unraveling of our society, at our expense.

The WTF comes in when we consider WTF are we going to do to prevent it.

CSM101
Simple.

Price of goods rises because firms hire private security as loss prevention.

I watched a guy run out of an Apple store down here with a stolen laptop. It was near the entrance to the mall so the shop manager yelled to the guards who were at the entrance. They were built like linebackers, and let's just say this shoplifter wasn't built like a running back. He got flattened onto the hard floor of the mall, and one of the guards gave him a few hard jabs to the kidney. Looked painful, and well deserved. I don't know if the laptop survived the body slam. I was just sitting having a morning coffee in the food court, and it gave me something to talk about the rest of the day. They just sat on him-literally- till cops arrived, funnily enough he didn't say a word the entire time.

Bottom line, more security guards, less lenience from judges, and cops turn a blind eye to shopkeepers defending their livelihood.

Problem solved, or at least, the problem gets it's ass kicked and charged with theft.

·
that's like, your opinion
17,825 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simple.

Price of goods rises because firms hire private security as loss prevention.

I watched a guy run out of an Apple store down here with a stolen laptop. It was near the entrance to the mall so the shop manager yelled to the guards who were at the entrance. They were built like linebackers, and let's just say this shoplifter wasn't built like a running back. He got flattened onto the hard floor of the mall, and one of the guards gave him a few hard jabs to the kidney. Looked painful, and well deserved. I don't know if the laptop survived the body slam. I was just sitting having a morning coffee in the food court, and it gave me something to talk about the rest of the day. They just sat on him-literally- till cops arrived, funnily enough he didn't say a word the entire time.

Bottom line, more security guards, less lenience from judges, and cops turn a blind eye to shopkeepers defending their livelihood.

Problem solved, or at least, the problem gets it's ass kicked and charged with theft.
the problem is that all that private security costs $$$$$, which will in turn raise prices for retail goods

21,428 Posts
Used to do some of that myself when OPSM decided that sunglasses would sell better if they took them out from behind the glass cabinets.

The effectiveness of a flash mob is if you arrest the wrong guy you can suffer a law suit. And Fighting twenty kids is pretty hard to do.
stores are just going to have to lock everything away.

·
Actias Luna
4,228 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a flashrob but it doesn't surprise me. As jobs get harder to find and prices continue to rise, people will resort to theft in order to keep the lifestyle they were used to living. Especially people who are used to being entitled to everything.

People around here have always had to do without some. If there was a flashrob, we would personally know half of the people in it. Kinda pointless. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not sure how to link previous threads, but there was a thread a couple of weeks ago with an actual video showing one of these "flashrobs" happening. Not trying to hijack your thread but it fits perfectly with your topic. If you have a chance its worth a view, not sure how 1 or 2 "linebackers" would fair against a large group like this.

Personally my thought is that this technique of robbery will explode in the near future and unfortunatly I'm afaird it will also become increasingly violent. When there is no fear of being arrested, whats to stop them?

Arm yourselves and don't become a victim.......

·
What would Mal do
4,777 Posts
nope..they aren't crazy ...they are relatively smart..for their species.

they know that there is safety in large numbers so a flash mob/rob is likely going to get away with more.

they know that it's hard to identify and prove just what each person may have taken during the flash..even with video.

they know that if, unlikely, they do get caught later, that there is very little the courts will slap them with and it's worth more as a badge of honor among their circle to be a part of that, than the risk of law enforcement reprisal.

they communicate via cell phone text/tweets, so they are up and running, well organized/mobile and cheap to put into action.

no..they aren't batsh&t crazy at all....stupid..worthless...sooner or later, somebody will get hurt bad...but they are thinking about what they are doing within the context of their world....we have to understand that if we are to be prepared for it and be able to best respond.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I've seen these type of attacks on videos from Rio or some other large city in South America. Dozens of kids will go after someone and strip them of every item of value. These people in Chicago and elsewhere are not even desperate, yet. When people reach the point of actually feeling hunger... watch out.

·
Zeitgeber
751 Posts
Gas stations and convenience stores in my area won't allow you in after certain hours. You have to tell someone locked in the store what you want, and the exchange of money for goods takes place through a drawer. Coming up with a solution for this problem sounds like a lucrative business opportunity to me.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
This is the first I've heard of a flashrob but it doesn't surprise me. As jobs get harder to find and prices continue to rise, people will resort to theft in order to keep the lifestyle they were used to living. Especially people who are used to being entitled to everything.

People around here have always had to do without some. If there was a flashrob, we would personally know half of the people in it. Kinda pointless. :)
It really doesn't have to do with lack of jobs or folks 'needing' things. More about the decay of society, lack of morals, then anything else.

Mostly it's kids and young adults that know they can overwhelm the police with numbers and few arrests ever being made. For those that are arrested it's nothing but shoplifting or petty larceny and 'mom and dad' will bail them out.

21,428 Posts
It really doesn't have to do with lack of jobs or folks 'needing' things. More about the decay of society, lack of morals, then anything else.

Mostly it's kids and young adults that know they can overwhelm the police with numbers and few arrests ever being made. For those that are arrested it's nothing but shoplifting or petty larceny and 'mom and dad' will bail them out.
And I would not be supprised if the gangs in the 1950 were pulling the same sort of stunts

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
I have been reading about this trend for the last week now. (Note on the video posted above: Notice that the whole thing only took one minute and three seconds)

Needless to say, it's worrysome. In fact, I am afraid that it reflects a crumbling moral structure of our civilization. It isn't a kid, or two, shoplifting, or even doing a smash and grab. It is being done by large groups of teens. Have we really come to the point when gangs of 20+ teenagers together have the collective values that say that it is okay to swarm into a business, grab whatever they can get their hands on, then run away with it?

And in a store, what do you do? Grab one, and you might be in a fight for your life against 20. Somebody is going to get hurt. Bad.

What's next?

Homes? Maybe it's not just swarming into your house to steal whatever is not bolted down, but maybe it's to gang rape your wife and daughters while they are there, too?

·
Zeitgeber
751 Posts
I have been reading about this trend for the last week now. (Note on the video posted above: Notice that the whole thing only took one minute and three seconds)

Needless to say, it's worrysome. In fact, I am afraid that it reflects a crumbling moral structure of our civilization. It isn't a kid, or two, shoplifting, or even doing a smash and grab. It is being done by large groups of teens. Have we really come to the point when gangs of 20+ teenagers together have the collective values that say that it is okay to swarm into a business, grab whatever they can get their hands on, then run away with it?

And in a store, what do you do? Grab one, and you might be in a fight for your life against 20. Somebody is going to get hurt. Bad.

What's next?

Homes? Maybe it's not just swarming into your house to steal whatever is not bolted down, but maybe it's to gang rape your wife and daughters while they are there, too?
I gotta think that flashrobbing a house would be a lot riskier considering you can get into a convenience store without getting shot. Typically, homes have smaller entry/exit points then businesses do. One, maybe two would make it into my home before the entries would start to accrue biological obstacles.

·
Renaissance Man
7,503 Posts
I really don't think it has much, if anything to do with the economy. It's simply mob mentality, boredom, and lack of any ethics. All topped with entitlement and lack of consequences. It will probably get more violent as time goes on. Arson, rape, murder, will all be considered fair game.

It sucks, but we're reaping what we've been sowing for the last 30 years.

Az

1 - 20 of 98 Posts