Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this today:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=406463&kwtid=268033

And it mentions a smoke "flare" has anyone seen how these work?

Also other then the home-made smokers for airsoft and paint ball can you purchase smoke canisters commercially? Or are they LE only?

Does anyone know the legality of the home made smokers? Seems to me since it's not a bomb the only issue would be how one use it, public nucience laws etc.

-Rob

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can make your own till the government bans salt peter and sugar.

Or buy them http://www.ammunitionstore.com/pricelist_flares_smoke.htm
Well heck the wikipedia gives you the instructions on how to make the ones out of saltpeter and sugar, cept cooking that stuff is a might dangerous, really all one has to do is mix the two well, if you use powered sugar it instantly dissolves into water and you add the salt peter and it will dissolve down into a paste that can just be dried/shaped into whatever you want.

-Rob

·
Registered
52 Posts
Ah, the 26.5mm Czech Military Signal flares... saw them in my new Sportsmans Guide Mil-Surp H.Q. catalouge under the "Genuine H & K Flare Pistol. Given the size, it's most likely sphere or cylinder of smokebased pyrotechnic material (the stuff you'd find inside your genaric 4th of July smoke bombs) Typically they are fired and ignited by the same propellent, as with most any other flare. Again, typically, this type of flare is an aireal smoker, meaning that it smokes after being ignited and as it is flying through the air. If you'd like a simulation, get yourself a pack of those small, 1", ball shaped smoke bombs that come in the plastic bag, light it and fire it into the air from a slingshot after most of the fuse has burnt, that should give you a good idea of what it looks like, though it will not produce nearly as much smoke as the flare. I have fired a Bosnian flare I assume is roughly the same, worked like this, 1/ load and charged the flare launcher (pistol) fired, about 40 feet into the air the projectile started producing large amounts of green smoke, which trailed behind like a tail, It fell slowly, as it was either equipped with a banner or parachute, (hard to see at dusk) So basiclly it's like firing any other flare except it smokes alot more and and burns much dimmer. That was my experience anyway, If I get some money in the next few weeks Ill buy the H&K Pistol and some flares and let ya know how it turns out

·
Registered
4 Posts
I came across this today:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=406463&kwtid=268033

And it mentions a smoke "flare" has anyone seen how these wpiece?

Also other then the home-made smokers for airsoft and paint ball can you purchase smoexploadingisters commercially? Or are they LE only?

Does anyone know the legality of the home made smokers? Seems to me since it's not a bomb the only issue would be how one use it, public nucience laws etc.

-Rob
I have seen similar flare guns before. The smokes only last a few seconds, but the flares go up a couple hundred feet. You can buy military style smoke grenades, but they run about 100bucks a piece. There are a few other options that are more affordable.
If you are allowed to make/buy exploading targets you should be able to make smoke canisters.

·
Preparing since 1972
5,612 Posts
Just be careful where you launch a flare/parachute as they can float into electrical wires and dry forest land and cause a fire....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts