Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not sure what to get. i have about 8k to drop on a vehicle.
jeep tj? toyota landcruiser , toyota tucoma?
i like all three but which would ultimately be more reliable?

·
Registered
281 Posts
To be honest they are all about the same when it come to reliability. Just really look into what you want. All have accessories readily available. Just look into what you need like cargo room. Also do you have kids? Cause if you do the land cruise would be my choice.

But you can't go wrong with any of them in my opinion.

·
Those were the days....
4,542 Posts
If you`ve got the funds, a Toyota Tacoma quad cab would be the way to go. Its a dead reliable daily driver that can double as a very capable (on or off road) BOV. A Jeep Cherokee would be my next choice, actually it was my first choice, as I own 2. The older model Cherokee`s can be had for a steal. And the ones with the straight six will run forever. The Jeeps arent as nice, but the cash you save can go toward things like better tires, winches, heavy bumpers and other BOV necessitys.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I agree about the Toyota Tacoma Quad Cab. I've got a 10 year old xTerra and my wife and I have just decided to keep it as our beater (adding bumpers, extra fuel tank, rear tire holder, etc asap). I'd rather have the Tacoma since it has the open bed. The TJ doesn't have much room to carry extra. The Land Cruisers are a little too pretty and bulky - more for a soccer mom, IMO.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you`ve got the funds, a Toyota Tacoma quad cab would be the way to go. Its a dead reliable daily driver that can double as a very capable (on or off road) BOV. A Jeep Cherokee would be my next choice, actually it was my first choice, as I own 2. The older model Cherokee`s can be had for a steal. And the ones with the straight six will run forever. The Jeeps arent as nice, but the cash you save can go toward things like better tires, winches, heavy bumpers and other BOV necessitys.
I have to agree with my DevilDog brother. The Tacoma quad cab if you have the funds are the way to go if you have the funds present...
If not, I too own a jeep cherokee with the inline 4.0 6 cyl motor. Cherokee's, while perhaps not as filled with the amenities, can be had for dirt cheap, built easily, and take you wherever you want to go. I have found they are easy to work on, easy to troubleshoot if there is an issue. Mine has been trouble free for years.
As I rock crawl, I have heavily modified mine, and as I have no kids the 2 door version is excellent for me.

Ps, yes I do have doors, just like driving around without them. With tank capacity and extra fuel I can carry 30 plus gallons, have manual hubs for reliability, and have transplanted 3/4 ton axles for strength!

·
Learning
6,729 Posts
Post what your needs are: weight capacity, towing ability, how many people you want to fit, etc.

What range do you want?

I personally recommend vehicle with a diesel engine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no kids. nothing to tow. just like something that can run just as reliable off road as on. prefer a v6 if the situation arises. i also really like the xteras but not sure how reliable they are.. the tacomas i have always liked the body style is sweet. and its a toyota.

·
HillBilly WildMan
15 Posts
ok I got a perfect truck for ya any 83-87 4x4 Ford Ranger it v6 good on gas and some came with a diesel engine some are auto some are stick some came with a extend cab so you can put some stuff in the back if you need to tow anything you can my dad has one and he feel his bed up with roofing shingles then you put's a tailer on the back in feel's it up also he as towed a 68 f100, a ranger a vw bug, a toyota 4 runner and every week he feels it up with scrap metal and riding mowers and the thing still runs strong the good thing you saying you are working with 8,000 well most of them are 300-1000 so you can get it and put lifts tires, light bars the whole nine yard

·
Learning
6,729 Posts
You want to buy a truck already set for $8,000? or do you want to build the perfect truck for $8,000?

Personally, if you want a truck that is already set with some wiggle room to do some mods I'd get a early 90's Dodge 4x4 1 ton with a 6 cyclinder Cummins. Any Cummins that has been taken care of should go several hundred thousand miles.

If you want to do a little workd get yourself any truck, Jeep or anything and source a 4bt Cummins to put in it...that would be great and get 30 mpg!

·
Livin on the Edge
363 Posts
Toyota Tacoma or 4Runner, Depends on your needs......Unless you are going to tow something look for a vehicle with the 22RE engine......easy to rebuild and gets great gas mileage

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
If you`ve got the funds, a Toyota Tacoma quad cab would be the way to go. Its a dead reliable daily driver that can double as a very capable (on or off road) BOV.
100% agree with above.

Only difference is my second choice would be something within the CUCV line up. Also a huge fan of diesels cause they get much better off road and idle gas mileage. Plus fuel, hey you cant beat the older military multi-fuel engines int he CUCV and Deuce line ups. Another option is a Bobbed deuce which is already all set up and right within your price range.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks everyone you have given me some things to think about. im just surprised more of you didnt mention the toyota landcruiser. from what i gather they are the next best thing to sliced bread.
i was watching a show on "natgeo" the other day and it was about scientists doing research on volcanoe fissures. they were in ethiopia "the hottest place on earth" they said!
it was so hot that it destroyed some of their equipment ,generators ect.. but guess what they were driving to this hell hole? .....yep landcruiser!
maybe there is something to all the hoopla? but seems i would have to come up with a few thousand more.

i am looking for something stock that i can build on as i go. i dont want anything stupidly lifted as i will not be "mud bogging"just be casually off roading as the notion strikes me . ocassionally camping. etc. how are those hemi's on gas milage by the way?

·
Beginner's Mind
1,681 Posts
I've had a Toyota Tacoma for almost 15 years and wouldn't take anything for it because there's nothing to replace it with. Great truck!!

·
Unemployed Philosopher
375 Posts
I'm on my second Tacoma (it's an 09) and it's not as good as my 2000. I'd go w/ a pre-2006, xtra-cab (the crew cab is nice but it eats up rear bed space) 4x4 model. They are alittle small & lighter also.

My 2 cents

·
J the painter
7,932 Posts
not sure what to get. i have about 8k to drop on a vehicle.
jeep tj? toyota landcruiser , toyota tucoma?
i like all three but which would ultimately be more reliable?
i would avoid a toyota there way too pricey an actually they are not that great 4x4ing, i live where this is done bigtime, buy American repairing them is affordable

i just went through this same thing an bought a Silverado, im way happier with it than a toyota, it has way more power gas mileage is not that bad , an drives better, i hate toyota brakes the way they feel, the only toyota i would buy is a older Landcruiser they rock, but again you will surely pay for it

·
Native Cracker Cowhunter
1,897 Posts
Something to think about.

My youngest son just sold his 12 year old CJ soft top that he bought brand new. It has 165K+ miles Stock equipment good condition for within $5k of what he paid for it. Thats worth every penny, he drove it for about $600 a year. Now that's hard to beat.

IF you can find one that's the way to go.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts