Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the gun show and bought some of the cheap AR GI mags. Live and learn!
Anyways when I pulled the charging handle the bolt would stick with the round halfway loaded. So I got out my trusty Dremel and started polishing the feed lips and cutting an angle cut on the front rim of the mag where the shell rides up over into the chamber.
After this work I could get the 20 rounder to not stick with 18 rounds and the 30 rounders to cycle with 28 rounds except one that only works with 25. My colt clip seems fine with the whole 20.
Anybody else have to do this? I have a bushmaster. Could it be a problem with the feed ramp on the chamber? The brass rounds seem to slide better than the wolf stuff so I put the steel shells at the bottom of the clips with a few brass on the top.
I see lots of the see-through lancer clips for sale. Are they any good? What about people in the military? Do you guys just use 28 rounds in your mags.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
They were not GI mags if you have to carve on them with a rotary tool.
Got to be knock offs if they sold them as such.
I have never had issues with anything current issue or old Colt and Adventure Line magazines.
I just rebuilt all my really old mags with C Products or AR Stoner parts.
No cutting necessary.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one of the problem ones was adventureline. I am not an expert on GI style AR mags. They all look pretty much the same to me. Guess I will have to get a PMAG. They were about double if I recall.
I hope it is not is not the gun.

·
Registered
135 Posts
one of the problem ones was adventureline. I am not an expert on GI style AR mags. They all look pretty much the same to me. Guess I will have to get a PMAG. They were about double if I recall.

I buy used military mags exclusivly at the Military surplus store. If the springs are weak, I change them with CMMG springs and followers. The CMMG springs are made like an AK mag spring and last forever (5.95). I pick through the mags and get the Cmags or OK mags or Colt, when available for 5-6 bucks each with the green followers. If I have to replace a few parts, I'm still ahead of the game.

·
Registered
9,583 Posts
You will always be cash ahead if you buy good mags to start with...
Even if they are used but not abused...

·
Forever Vigilant
2,260 Posts
PMags are only double if you are not willing to wait for them. You can still get them below retail if you do not mind placing a backorder and waiting 8-12 weeks.

·
Certifiable
723 Posts
Buy cmags. They are in stock at the company so you can buy direct and they are the best out there. I am getting another 10 when I have the cash flow.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts