Survivalist Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
The nice part in those knifes is they have two blades. Still there is an issue if you lost the SAK. I agree with a secondary knife, still a folding one. As a secondary i carry a FOX folding. Nothing special but i love his cut.
My view [ and yes it is mine alone ] .

Is that I ALWAYS prep for the worst case scenario.

One that is survivable ,but likely not planned.

Winter storm,in spring.

Earthquake,tornado,SHTF [ manmade ].

Long list,but the + 1 is always on the plate.

Murphys law is at its best when no one is around to bail you out.

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
Sure the trail and the camping area matters. But i still believe that if you don't want to have on your belt a knife, for any reason, the best choice is a SAK. Small but efficient.
My answer to the SAK is a multitool. All the stuff the SAK has, plus pliers. And my Gerbers open the pliers one handed.
And yes, I know there are versions of the SAK with pliers, but they’re either toy sized, or expensive.

The SAK is a great thing, I have 4. But there are so many better options.
That said....the SAK is always in the bag as a third or 4th option, there’s one in my fishing vest, one in the kayak seat bag....etc.

·
Registered
61 Posts
My answer to the SAK is a multitool. All the stuff the SAK has, plus pliers. And my Gerbers open the pliers one handed.
And yes, I know there are versions of the SAK with pliers, but they’re either toy sized, or expensive.

That said....the SAK is always in the bag as a third or 4th option, there’s one in my fishing vest, one in the kayak seat bag....etc.
For me is my first option for camping. We are talking for a regular camping, where you don't have to do any bushcraft and you don't want to have a fixed blade around for some reason.
I know my SAK so good that i can literally build a house with it. So no for me is the best choice and it's always on my belt.

·
Retired Army
6,398 Posts
Your choice, but I daily carry one (in addition to the folder in my pocket) so I say hell yes take one...

Just so you know "fixed blade" doesn't always have to mean a 12" bowie dangling from a belt, or strapped to a pack. My daily is either a Kershaw Echo or a ZT 0100. I carry these in horizontal sheaths on my belt under a t-shirt, and nobody can see them as I walk around doing my thing.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't think so. I would suspect if we did a poll, over 90% of members here have a folder on their belt or in their pocket as part of their EDC, and a surprising number probably carry a multitool of some sort as well. Personally, I just naturally assume that a folding knife (and often a multitool) is just part of my clothing system. So, when I add a fixed blade, it's not really overkill, it just becomes my primary cutting tool and the pocket folder is backup or for smaller cutting chores.

I have struggled with my military background to not succumb to the "one is none, two is one" mantra when it comes to planning a backpacking trip; that really adds significant weight if you're not disciplined, carry all your fears in your pack or "what-if" an extra 10 pounds of kit. That said, there are couple areas where I will accept the weight for redundancy. I can minimize their size, but prefer having that redundancy. Bladed tools, water filtration/purification, fire, and socks are areas I won't compromise.

ROCK6

Amen to that. Though I will admit to a tendency towards carrying what many may consider to be too many edges , but the reality is that is a horses for courses type thing.......what one knife does in a superlative manner another won't be as efficient at. While certain other designs/patterns are more of an all round compromise , some of those designs have stood the test of time , Kephart and George Washington Sears ( Nessmuk) as examples. In the case of the latter , his basic concept of hatchet, medium sized fixed blade and smaller folder is still a viable working combination. Sub-tropical or tropical climates you may wish to swap the hatchet for a machete of your preference in blade type.

As an aside , quality outfits such as LT Wright , Bark River , ESEE and others are making a variety of both those patterns.

·
Premium Member
3,165 Posts
Your choice, but I daily carry one (in addition to the folder in my pocket) so I say hell yes take one...

Just so you know "fixed blade" doesn't always have to mean a 12" bowie dangling from a belt, or strapped to a pack. My daily is either a Kershaw Echo or a ZT 0100. I carry these in horizontal sheaths on my belt under a t-shirt, and nobody can see them as I walk around doing my thing.
i did not know ZT ever made a fixed.

·
Retired Army
6,398 Posts
i did not know ZT ever made a fixed.
This is an old knife they made in like 2008. They don't make fixed blades anymore that I know of. Kinda hard to find. I had the sheath custom made for horizontal or dangler carry. Photo is the dangler, but I take that off, and put on pancake straps from Bravo Concealment. I wear it just to the right of my belt buckle. One quick tug... This is the one knife I'll never get rid of. I have others I use more, others I show off, but when it comes to the "one knife" question... THIS would be it for me.

ZT 0100 with sheath.JPG

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I have a Kershaw folder as my everyday clip knife and a Morakniv as a straightblade utility knife for around the farm. Both are rugged and very affordable tools. I dont hike and an RV is my form of camping from my teenage years with my folks. I hate trnt camping, though I own several, none suitable for hiking.

·
Registered
9,614 Posts
I've spent quite a bit of time in the woods, You'd be surprised what you find along trails and creek crossings. I found a (pocket clip) folder at a fairly rough creek crossing, and a rusted axe with a weather checked handle after finding two empty hip pints along the same trail. Never found a fixed bladed knife tho...still holding out for that one.

I usually carry a pocket knife and a fixed blade knife while out walking about woods. That said, I use folders for field dressing large game and I usually carry two of them. I can get through field dressing and half of the skinning before the first one starts to loose it's edge, still sharp just not as sharp as I like it to be.

Normally, when hunting I carry folders and when camping/hiking a fixed blade, yet that's not a hard and fast rule. The only hard and fast rule I have is that I carry a spare knife, either in the vehicle or pack. Cause without a knife you are screwed.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I always have a mora even when I'm doing an "ultralight" loadout. But I also find uses for it all the time. I guess if you have adapted your camp life to no knife then more power to you

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I have a mora as well. Good little all around fixed blade IMHO.
For the price, there's no reason not to have a dozen Mora knives stashed in bugout bags and boxes, bug-home bags, vehicles, etc. I have numerous high-dollar knives, but there's so much value in the basic Mora (the 510 model being my favorite), they make a great utility knife, bushcraft blade, and backup fixed blade...

ROCK6

21,494 Posts

I find it is the easiest folder to keep clean. So for food prep I go the SAK.

And that is the bulk of my camping knife use.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
I find it is the easiest folder to keep clean. So for food prep I go the SAK.

And that is the bulk of my camping knife use.
Really? I guess it would depend on the SAK version, but too many layers have made it a nightmare if your cutting becomes really messy. I've found the simple liner locks with open backs to be the simplest folders to clean in the field:

ROCK6

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
Really? I guess it would depend on the SAK version, but too many layers have made it a nightmare if your cutting becomes really messy. I've found the simple liner locks with open backs to be the simplest folders to clean in the field:

ROCK6
YES !.

And the law/reason for PLUS ONE holds true for all.

Regardless of if has not happened YET,to you.

21,494 Posts

ROCK6
Yeah. I use the sentinel or the picnicker. Which are very basic smooth knives that handle being wet pretty well.

·
Registered
6,768 Posts
YES !.

And the law/reason for PLUS ONE holds true for all.

Regardless of if has not happened YET,to you.
The fear creating the "what if" needs that lead to the "one is none, two is one..." mantra is the death of those who travel any significant distance on foot. Redundancy isn't a bad thing, but needs to be disciplined with experience...many aren't.

ROCK6

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
The fear creating the "what if" needs that lead to the "one is none, two is one..." mantra is the death of those who travel any significant distance on foot. Redundancy isn't a bad thing, but needs to be disciplined with experience...many aren't.

ROCK6
Just have to disagree,respectfully.

I am turning 74 in Sept. so I aint no child.

But if the carrying of another knife is a real issue,then so is the carrying of at very least 2 means of firestarting.

I keep my day/hunt/ pack as light as I can = WITHIN REASON.

And I note the only "heavy item" that I hump is WATER !.

Very little else comes to a total weaight of over 8 pounds [ water ].

I view any and all TOOLS as the difference between humans and those we consider food.

I even bought a ULTRA light weight S&W 317 [ .22 RF ].so I can carry a BUG and 50 rounds of ammo.

I daresay I am one who keeps his pack ULTRA light.

Likely falls under the heading "to each their own".

61 - 80 of 83 Posts