Survivalist Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I'm sitting at my computer and I have three knives in my pocket, a mini SAK, a single blade lockback and a multitool. They are always there.
Yesterday, and on my planned hike, I'm never more than a mile from people. The C&O canal National Park is a narrow well traveled park with campgrounds and water every 5 to 7 miles and residents along the edge. I will have 1-3 days of food in my pack as well as a FAK and shelter. I don't see it becoming a survival situation and even if it did, a fixed blade knife still won't be necessary.
Just to play devils advocate.

Your planned trip becomes TEOTWAWKI trip that you did not plan.

If all that you left behind was that blade,I am sorry.

btw,you travel w/o a firearm ?.

26 years a cop,I am not that trusting of ANY scenario.

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,283 Posts
I ALWAYS take a Cold Steel Bushman Bowie simply because, unlike 99% of the other knives out there, especially jackknife types, you simply cannot break one no matter what you do short of having a vise and a blow torch. I have used one for a throwing knife, HUNDREDS of throws. Now you want something that will find the weakness of a blade or system, turn it into a thrower.
anyway,
I like MY fixed because it won't fail on you no matter what you do to it within reason, The whole thing is ONE piece of steel from the tip to the end of the handle, all the same piece of steel, whereas a jackknife is really only as strong as the that little tiny pin holding the blade in that was supplied by the cheapest bidder. and a failure of the lock mechanism at the wrong application of pressure COULD leave me bleeding my life blood out in the dirt while the CS blade has no lock to fail. IF you have ever had a locked blade unlock at the wrong time, you will understand my position on this. I have had them fail and I have seen them fail.
IF
I am extended camping in heavy country I will have the CS Black Bear Bowie along as well...
but ALWAYS the Bushman

·
Registered
890 Posts
I ALWAYS take a Cold Steel Bushman Bowie simply because, unlike 99% of the other knives out there, especially jackknife types, you simply cannot break one no matter what you do short of having a vise and a blow torch. I have used one for a throwing knife, HUNDREDS of throws. Now you want something that will find the weakness of a blade or system, turn it into a thrower.
anyway,
I like MY fixed because it won't fail on you no matter what you do to it within reason, The whole thing is ONE piece of steel from the tip to the end of the handle, all the same piece of steel, whereas a jackknife is really only as strong as the that little tiny pin holding the blade in that was supplied by the cheapest bidder. and a failure of the lock mechanism at the wrong application of pressure COULD leave me bleeding my life blood out in the dirt while the CS blade has no lock to fail. IF you have ever had a locked blade unlock at the wrong time, you will understand my position on this. I have had them fail and I have seen them fail.
IF
I am extended camping in heavy country I will have the CS Black Bear Bowie along as well...
but ALWAYS the Bushman
Is that the one with a socket handle? To convert it to a spear?

·
Registered
890 Posts
I agree a fixed blade is ideal for survival which is why I have one in my flight bag but it just seemed overkill in a camping situation.
Sorry, I was applying my frame of reference to your question, thinking 25 miles of bad road to get to town.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the very first forum I've ever been on where someone stated that a sheath knife is "overkill" on a camping trip... even a 12-day hike... but the weight of a hatchet is OK. SMH! My guess would be that most everyone who has ventured out into the wilderness that turned into a "survival situation" didn't know it would morph into one in advance. Who leaves their house knowing that they are going to have a survival situation?

·
Born 120 years too late.
5,283 Posts
Is that the one with a socket handle? To convert it to a spear?

HERE..

YES, if you are so inclined. (if you click on the above link it will take you there)

If I have the urge I fill the grip with "crap" and then wrap it closed with electrical tape.

I have expensive knives. But, I never had a knife I found that is just so tough that takes so sharp an edge.

One of my original design blades that look like a fillet blade, my wife stole when I showed her one.
It sits in the kitchen drawer and is used for cutting everything from frozen food to fine slicing

Last count I have 4 or 5 of the Bowie blades in various places and bags.

The Black Bear Bowie can get just as sharp and is just as tough if you want a longer blade.

·
High Concept
5,222 Posts
I went for a hike and didn't take my fixed blade knife. I don't think I'll take it on my 12 day camping trip in May either.

The back story...
I prepared my pack for a 12 mile practice hike. Right before I threw it in the truck, I grabbed my whistle and PLB from my flight/survival bag. My sheath knife was also on my flight bag but I left it. My reason was I would have no place to put my sheath because of the pack hip belt. I also have a hatchet on my pack. The knife is great for survival situations but less useful when just camping.

Your thoughts??
I got my guys all Dadleys as a general purpose knife, it comes with sheath and steel. The sharpening steel is magnetic and that has come in handy many times.

I think this knife design skinned most of America’s buffalo to near extinction, and was used extensively on naval vessels.

The guys use them all the time in the fly camps, and pastoral leases.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This is the very first forum I've ever been on where someone stated that a sheath knife is "overkill" on a camping trip... even a 12-day hike... but the weight of a hatchet is OK.
I used the word "overkill" in reply to a "what if" question stating that I already had three pocket knives and a hatchet. My hatchet is actually a multitool. Hatchet blade for the usual stuff, hammer for the usual stuff, a saw in the handle and I have an etool blade that attaches to the hatchet to make a mattock for clearing ground and digging my "hippie hole."

·
Registered
890 Posts
Amigo, things the way they are right now, in a national park across the road from DC, I would not carry around a belt knife that everybody could see. Is that even legal there?

·
Apprentice Geezer
2,481 Posts
I'll say; carry what you want (if its legal)...
Personally in my 60+ years in the woods, I have never managed to get myself in a "survival" situation...
Accordingly, a Victornox tinker is adequate, for me. I do have a fixed blade in the cooking gear though.
When my knees were, still, in good enough shape to hike; I carried a light weight (Buck) locking folder (I don't see it (clip point) for sale any more)... light weight has a significant advantage for hiking, IMO.

Enjoy!

·
SBs Resident Non Prepper
7,580 Posts
I have owned a Kershaw model 1005 since the late 1980s. I purchased it from a SnapOn tool dealer.
it is strapped to the outside of my pack

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I have read and appreciate everyone's replies and understand they come from each individuals perspective and interpretation of the question. That said, I don't see a way to carry my knife on my belt with the pack belt; however, I did find a way to strap the sheath and knife to my pack frame and will be taking it along. I may count the number of times I actually use it for latter comment.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have read and appreciate everyone's replies and understand they come from each individuals perspective and interpretation of the question. That said, I don't see a way to carry my knife on my belt with the pack belt; however, I did find a way to strap the sheath and knife to my pack frame and will be taking it along. I may count the number of times I actually use it for latter comment.
I would suggest you investigate a 'dangler' sheath. It may solve the problem of interfering with your pack waist belt. I have an Ahti puukko in a dangler sheath that would likely work.
I wear a sheath knife daily. I also carry a SAK and a folder that clips to my pocket. I live on a small farm and find uses for all three almost daily. I also often carry a Wetterlings Small Hunter's axe when hunting because it makes it easier to cut through the pelvis and the rib cage of a deer, but I find a small Silky folding saw to be more practical around camp. Wasn't aware there were any remote areas around D.C. remaining. Frankly, I try and avoid the NOVA area. I live near the James River Wilderness Face and much prefer that for my outdoor adventures.

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
I am headed to the gym so the only knife i have is in my tool bag in the back of my van. And my gun is in the glovebox. But that is only because i have no pockets.

My EDC is a benchmade auto and a multi tool.

But generally when camping i swap the auto for a fixed blade. Either my esee laserstrike OR my esee 3 in s35v. If i carry the 3 i am likely carrying a jungalas 2 nearby for breaking up wood. Unless it is a trip where i am not likely to build a fire.

I GUESS i could live with just the multi tool ans

·
Registered
55 Posts
I am headed to the gym so the only knife i have is in my tool bag in the back of my van. And my gun is in the glovebox. But that is only because i have no pockets.

My EDC is a benchmade auto and a multi tool.

But generally when camping i swap the auto for a fixed blade. Either my esee laserstrike OR my esee 3 in s35v. If i carry the 3 i am likely carrying a jungalas 2 nearby for breaking up wood. Unless it is a trip where i am not likely to build a fire.

I GUESS i could live with just the multi tool ans
Not to derail the thread, but how do you like the Laserstrike? I have been eyeing it for awhile but since I opted for the 5 I haven't really been up to spending the money on it. I typically carry an Izula 2 and Esee 5 when out in the woods, and yes I know the 5 is quite heavy... but it will survive anything I need to use it for.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,170 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but how do you like the Laserstrike? I have been eyeing it for awhile but since I opted for the 5 I haven't really been up to spending the money on it. I typically carry an Izula 2 and Esee 5 when out in the woods, and yes I know the 5 is quite heavy... but it will survive anything I need to use it for.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I would like to have a 5 cuz they are cool but i would not carry it. The LS or the 6 are much better alternatives for me. They are lighter and more “slicey”.

The LS is good the only thing i don’t like is the coated blade. If i where designing it i would use 440 stainless over 1095 instead of coating.

It is a decent chopper , if needed. It is good to baton with. It is comfortable in the hand. I can even use it for food prep.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts