Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went for a hike and didn't take my fixed blade knife. I don't think I'll take it on my 12 day camping trip in May either.

The back story...
I prepared my pack for a 12 mile practice hike. Right before I threw it in the truck, I grabbed my whistle and PLB from my flight/survival bag. My sheath knife was also on my flight bag but I left it. My reason was I would have no place to put my sheath because of the pack hip belt. I also have a hatchet on my pack. The knife is great for survival situations but less useful when just camping.

Your thoughts??

·
Registered
55 Posts
I personally always have a fixed blade on me and I my opinion is invaluable in a survival situation. I guess you just have to weigh the pros and cons of both, but does a fixed blade really add too much weight?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
The fixed blade could go on or in the pack, but I agree, with a hatchet, there’s no “need” for a fixed blade too, especially since many quality folders are capable of doing most of the things fixed blades do, and the hatchet does the rest, plus more.

That said, a fixed blade doesn’t HAVE to be a large heavy knife. So....why not? A nice neck knife might be just the prep you wish you had.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree a fixed blade is ideal for survival which is why I have one in my flight bag but it just seemed overkill in a camping situation.

·
Banned
1,322 Posts
That said, a fixed blade doesn’t HAVE to be a large heavy knife
especially if you have other ways to cut.

I'd rather have a folder, saw and hatchet than swapping one out for a large fixed. And if I'm camping for a while, I'd like to bring my scotch-eye auger too

Reactions: ajole

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
A lot of the time, a fixed blade knife is overkill for basic hiking or camping. But a knife is just basic to have in the field (even with a hatchet present). For me, a sharp pocket knife is just EDC, no matter what I'm doing.

The biggest fixed blades I take camping/hunting are a belt mounted 5" Cold Steel SRK or 4" drop point Puma. Owned 'em both for decades. I actually don't carry them along very often these days. Much more often, just a sturdy folder like a Spyderco Endura or Delica. In my front pants pocket and tied to beltline with a dummy cord. Pretty much my general utility folder choices for the last 30 years. 3-4 inch folders can handle most camping chores.

For practical utility, low cost (~$17), and very light weight (4 ounces) fixed blade, consider just grabbing a Mora and sticking it into a pants cargo pocket. It's also something that can be easily attached to most pack hip belts. Or kept stowed in the pack in between outings.

At the end of the day, you had a hatchet anyway. So just another form factor of a cutting edge. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Perhaps get a second inexpensive pocket knife and include it permanently in your pack contents. Problem solved. Hell, a $4 Walmart Ozark Trail folder would suffice for that. One of which is actually my EDC front pocket blade.

My Randall sits in a safe. The Walmart knife gets used everyday. LOL.

·
Registered
890 Posts
SACRILEGE! What if you gotta cut open a pant leg to expose a boo-boo? Or you crash your car and have to cut a seat belt? Or have to cut a slot in a tarp because a grommet failed. Or you have 50 feet of rope and you need a 10 foot piece. Or you lose your can opener. Or ...

·
Registered
12,359 Posts
SACRILEGE! What if you gotta cut open a pant leg to expose a boo-boo? Or you crash your car and have to cut a seat belt? Or have to cut a slot in a tarp because a grommet failed. Or you have 50 feet of rope and you need a 10 foot piece. Or you lose your can opener. Or ...
Definitely need a 12” Bowie for those, right? Preferably with a fully serrated edge. (y)

·
Registered
890 Posts
Or a great big Kabar. I just think, for the size and weight and all the things I might use it for, a reasonable size fixed blade, I would never go without one. Especially primitive camping.
And a camping trip could sure enough turn into a survival experience. I don’t know if you’re gonna be in a tent or a 40 foot fifth wheel, but ...

K, guess everybody knows how I feel now. I’ll be quiet.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I actually carry a Morakniv Companion with a carbon blade. 4 oz. And holds a nice sharp edge. I have a cheapo kershaw folder clip knife but its pretty rugged and holds an edge well too. Heavier than the Mora though.

Just saying.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
I rarely leave the house without a pocket knife. I have never carried an axe or hatchet for back packing trip. I do have a 4" fixed blade attached to my pack. A couple of times I have carried folding saw. A folding saw and good knife seem mandatory during hunting season. I read a story written by a trapper in the late 1800's. He carried a full axe and a pocket knife. He lived in the woods for the winters. He built a cabin and cut wood with the axe. He skinned game which included deer and bear with the pocket knife. hard to argue with the guys who were there and did that. If you are not building cabins, I see no need for an axe and have no use for a hatchet.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I agree a fixed blade is ideal for survival which is why I have one in my flight bag but it just seemed overkill in a camping situation.
My question came about as I read your OP.
Please do explain how you know in advance when a "campout" will not ever become a survival incident ?.
Seems to me that no one plans on a real survival incident.
Or it would be just an excersize and not real "survival".
I carry 3 folders for everday use [SAK,mini Barrage,large folder ]
All serve a purpose,and I carry a fixed blade ,usually in addition to those folders when ANYWHERE near wilderness or even the possibility of that happening..
I was taught in the recent past [ last 10 years ] the survival adage "plus one".
One is none,two is one.
Look it up,makes perfect sense to me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I rarely leave the house without a pocket knife. I have never carried an axe or hatchet for back packing trip. I do have a 4" fixed blade attached to my pack. A couple of times I have carried folding saw. A folding saw and good knife seem mandatory during hunting season. I read a story written by a trapper in the late 1800's. He carried a full axe and a pocket knife. He lived in the woods for the winters. He built a cabin and cut wood with the axe. He skinned game which included deer and bear with the pocket knife. hard to argue with the guys who were there and did that. If you are not building cabins, I see no need for an axe and have no use for a hatchet.
Sorry, this isn’t anti-hatchet season, but if there’s little kids around, I guarantee you, they will be attracted to a hatchet like iron filings to a magnet. A saw? Pfffft.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I always carry my Pocket Knife, a bigger folding Knife in my pack and a Ka-Bar on my belt because... well ya just never know and i would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it.

As far as an Axe or a Hatchet, it would depend on the situation, A light weight folding saw is as good except for driving but there are usually depending on the area plenty of Rocks for that!

Ever thought about a Machete? i have two and they will fit upright in all my back packs!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My question came about as I read your OP.
Please do explain how you know in advance when a "campout" will not ever become a survival incident ?.
I'm sitting at my computer and I have three knives in my pocket, a mini SAK, a single blade lockback and a multitool. They are always there.
Yesterday, and on my planned hike, I'm never more than a mile from people. The C&O canal National Park is a narrow well traveled park with campgrounds and water every 5 to 7 miles and residents along the edge. I will have 1-3 days of food in my pack as well as a FAK and shelter. I don't see it becoming a survival situation and even if it did, a fixed blade knife still won't be necessary.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Ohhh. You put your pack on wheels, right? I remember you told me where you were going. Big ol’ fixed blade knife on your hip might be asking for trouble, I guess. Maybe at least some unwanted attention.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts