Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick five canned foods for a rotation system. Several years ago I phased out a lot of my canned foods. This was due to various reasons, one of which my children being grown and moving out on their own.

With the Coronavirus plague I realized phasing out my canned foods stockpile is was a mistake.

Let's say someone wanted to stockpile canned foods what 5 would you pick?

This can be rather complicated because stuff like ravioli and spaghetti can fall under the same family, which is fine. We can have a row of canned pasta products, then a row of soups.

Example:

Peanut butter
Pasta
Soups
... etc.

·
Squared away like a donut
450 Posts
Tough to narrow it down to just five, but I’ll give it a whirl.

Corned Beef
Tuna
Peanut Butter (if you consider it a canned good)
Salmon
Chicken

I keep several canned foods on hand, but only really keep about 10 canned goods in larger quantities. The rest are foods we eat less often, or at least from a can. We grow a lot of our own vegetables and stay well stocked on beans and rice, so I would focus on higher calorie foods and proteins if I could only keep 5.

·
Registered
93 Posts
For the record I would not claim pasta to be a canned food. Canned foods can be opened and eaten with zero preparation. Maybe use long-term storage items as this is a good topic on what people believe are the best long-term storage foods are. Mine long-term storage foods would be:

Peanut butter
Rice
Tuna
Habitant (say it French) soups
Salmon

If we're looking to get all vitamins/minerals in the 5 then substitute fruit salads for salmon. (Habitant soups have beans so all amino acids should be covered). If not substitute meat stews for tuna.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
What cans do i stock? Chunk light tuna though i also have someone high quality stuff. Water and oil packed, i like to mix them. Tomatoes, several kinds. The diced are kind of watery but the ones with chilie makes up for that. Beans, several kinds. Dried are normally much cheaper but canned are so convenient. Coconut milk, for curry or peanut sauce mostly. Corn, twice as much creamed as kernal corn. Some brands are crisper but i just get what's on sale.
Asian store has some outrageously expensive cans. Abalone for $25! I don't get that anymore. Oddly live abalone is like $.25 each though very small.

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
For the record I would not claim pasta to be a canned food. Canned foods can be opened and eaten with zero preparation. Maybe use long-term storage items as this is a good topic on what people believe are the best long-term storage foods are. Mine long-term storage foods would be:

Peanut butter
Rice
Tuna
Habitant (say it French) soups
Salmon

If we're looking to get all vitamins/minerals in the 5 then substitute fruit salads for salmon. (Habitant soups have beans so all amino acids should be covered). If not substitute meat stews for tuna.
You don't eat your spaghetti and meatballs straight form the can?

Corned beef hash
Tuna
Ravioli and similar in a mixed row
Spam or canned ham your choice
Cream of mushroom soup cause it's so versatile

·
Registered
139 Posts
With the astounding array of canned goods that are available, why limit your train of thought to only five. The grocery where we normally shop has a couple aisles of canned goods. If that isn't enough we have other stores where we can stock up.

Or are you trying to keep your grown children from moving back to your basement due to the lack of culinary diversity?

·
Registered
524 Posts
- chicken
- fruit
- stringbeans
- chickpeas
- corn

With a 20 pound bag of rice, I could probably live on that for awhile before getting bored.

With the astounding array of canned goods that are available, why limit your train of thought to only five. The grocery where we normally shop has a couple aisles of canned goods. If that isn't enough we have other stores where we can stock up.

Or are you trying to keep your grown children from moving back to your basement due to the lack of culinary diversity?
Sometimes it's a good exercise to hypothetically constrain yourself and figure out where your priorities are. :)

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,545 Posts
1 - Peanut butter even with honey since no cooking needed and high calorie
2 - Vegetables - peas and corn my favorites
3 - Italian foods specifically Beefaroni which is the easiest to cook and to eat
4 - Various meats but mainly tuna, salmon, beef stew and spam. No spam left on shelves that I saw a few days ago.
5 - large cans of pasta sauce for noodles I also store. The Dollar Tree store has many various varieties of pasta sauce for only one dollar.

I also have at least 200 cans of food, plus many freeze dried packets and large cans etc. And bulk foods such as wheat, rice, beans etc. And I will be growing more food than ever this summer plus fish, hunt and forage. I do have a million plus national forest all around my mtn place / retreat.

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,300 Posts
Canned meats (variety of chicken, beef and pork)
Canned fish (variety of salmon, tune, crab and shrimp)
Canned veggies (Variety of carrots, peas, corn, squash, potatoes, various beans)
Canned fruits ( variety of whatever is in natural juices)
Canned sauces ( variety of gravies, tomato sauces, cream based sauces like alfredo, sloppy joe, etc) stuff that can be mixed with the veggies and meats to form something tasty and poured over rice or pasta

Just last week I cooked up a handful of egg noodles, and a can of chicken with a can of cream of mushroom. Added some salt and a little Cajun seasoning and mixed it all together. Came out pretty damn tasty. Three cans and some dried noodles, two pots and some seasoning, dinner for two.

Should have added some veggies to it but was just experimenting

Tonight we’re having salmon patties using canned salmon, corn meal, onions, bell pepper, salt, pepper, an egg. Fried potatoes on the side and a can of corn.

·
"eleutheromaniac"
3,275 Posts
The "Foundation" of my program, is "BUSH'S" canned Baked Beans and B&M canned Brown Bread. My goal was and is that if necessary and cooking or heating was not an option, food that tastes good to "ME" right out of the can......Cold.

·
Indefatigable
20,092 Posts
Chicken and a few cans of salmon or mackerel.
Chickpeas for sure, add a few cans of Ranch Style, Pork N Beans, 3 bean salad and cream corn.
Tomato products: diced, paste, sauce, soup and juice.
A variety of canned fruits.
If PB doesn't count as canned, then add in some sauce bases:
s&c milk, evap., cream soups including cheese.

Reactions: SoJ_51

·
?
2,211 Posts
Our top five store bought canned/jarred that we rotate through:

Peanut butter and other canned snack nuts
Fruit that doesn't grow locally such as pineapple, mandarin oranges, tart cherries
LouAna coconut oil - actually in a plastic jar, but we rotate it through the cansolidator (and don't go by the date; it stays fresh several years beyond the stated date)
Spam
Comfort soups for sick days.

We have access to plenty of deer, pork, cattle and fish. And pressure can our own meats.

·
Over and Out
3,260 Posts
..Just another voice to emphasize Salmon (Red Salmon, best, if possible..) because... 'Critical Fats'.. :cool:

...also:

- Bega (or other-similar, but that brand is tops, imo...) Cheese
- Red Feather (or other-similar, but that brand is also tops..) Butter.. because, again.. Fats..

+ everything others said (chicken, pork, etc vegs, beans, tomato-sauce for bases, etc)

jd

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
Salmon, I like it instead of tuna I don't like. Eat it straight out of can
Tuna for Wife
any of the Chef Boyardee's for teenage son
I like Canned Tamales over frozen
Beans many varieties

Can Fruits Varieties, Mixed-Peach-Pineapple
Chili
Beef stew
Chicken
Soups all Kinds

Reactions: BrianWorf

·
What... me worry??
184 Posts
I guess my picks, in no particular order:

-Tuna
-Peanut Butter
-Tomato based items
-Beans (variety)
-Soups (variety)

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Pick five canned foods for a rotation system. Several years ago I phased out a lot of my canned foods. This was due to various reasons, one of which my children being grown and moving out on their own.

With the Coronavirus plague I realized phasing out my canned foods stockpile is was a mistake.

Let's say someone wanted to stockpile canned foods what 5 would you pick?

This can be rather complicated because stuff like ravioli and spaghetti can fall under the same family, which is fine. We can have a row of canned pasta products, then a row of soups.

Example:

Peanut butter
Pasta
Soups
... etc.
I break canned food into meats and veggie/fruit. About 2 each per person per day, plus a carb like rice/flour.

I look for the meats with the highest calories (fat/protein).

I generally do

Chili (no beans) and beef stew.

For fruits and veggies, Ill typically do green beans/corn and then maybe peaches/pineapple.

I had a bunch of the costco canned meats but during a move they literally disappeared. Very weird.

I like the shelf reliance can shelves, they make it much easier to rotate stock.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts