Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was about 13-14 years old I was skinny, weak, and had just gotten the crap beat out of me at school. Jumped from behind outside of the locker rooms. That was in the middle of 8th grade. The school wanted to suspend me for just being involved in a fight. I didn't even defend myself.

My Dad fought with the school for 2 hours to keep me from getting suspended, from that moment on I knew I wouldn't be a victim again, would not go out without a fight.

Currently I am a Sophomore in High School, almost 16 yrs old and 135 pounds, can do 60 push-ups if you ask me too. Can run four miles in under thirty minutes and do 15 Pull-Ups. I in a little over two years I have completely transformed my body. And mind. I was weak physically and mentally, now I am the exact opposite.

These are the exercises I did and I recommend anyone that is wanting to build size, strength, endurance, and power do all of these as many as you can, two times a day.

#1 Push-Ups: Pretty basic always able to get a workout out of them
#2 Sit-Ups: Obviously an ab exercise, ab strength is crucial for many things
#3 Running: An absolute must, it will melt fat, build cardio and leg strength
#4 Curls: Build size and brute strength
#5 Bent Over Rows: Build back muscle, use a dumbbell and chair, desk or anything like that
#6 Calf Raises: Build leg strength
#7 Squats: Another must build thigh muscle mostly
#8 Pull-Ups: Amazing exercise
These are pretty much what I did and continue to do to this day. This will build and work almost every muscle in your body and get you in great shape fast. It's great for getting you in shape for TEOTWAWKI too haha

Hope this provides some inspiration / incentive for people to get in shape for SHTF, because we all know you need to be able to carry large loads, for long distances.

Good day to all

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Congrats on changing you body, as well as your mind, and outlook. Now look into some martial arts training or boxing, wrestling and you'll be golden.

·
In memory of Rokitdog
14,951 Posts
I was in the same situation but I was 17 before I changed. While in the Army I trained in martial arts and as my confidence grew, so did my intimidation factor. I have only been in one fight since I was 19 (I'm 61 now) and that's mostly because I didn't appear to be a victim any longer.
God job Brian!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on changing you body, as well as your mind, and outlook. Now look into some martial arts training or boxing, wrestling and you'll be golden.
Actually, I did about 5-7 years of Kickboxing before this, I was definitely trained, I just needed to change. Thanks though I have been wanting to get back into it

·
¡Salga de aquí!
4,290 Posts
Great story and great advice. Might consider adding dead-lifts to your routine which will take your body to the next level of fitness.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great story and great advice. Might consider adding dead-lifts to your routine which will take your body to the next level of fitness.
Ya I have been considering it, would tractor tire lifts offer close to the same effect? I don't have access to much equipment. My high school has a large stash on the field that I have been wanting to use

·
¡Salga de aquí!
4,290 Posts
Couldn't hurt flipping huge tires using a similar technique as a deadlift, maybe letting them back down. Will be surprised what muscles get worked out doing deads.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
#1 Push-Ups: Pretty basic always able to get a workout out of them
#2 Sit-Ups: Obviously an ab exercise, ab strength is crucial for many things
#3 Running: An absolute must, it will melt fat, build cardio and leg strength
#4 Curls: Build size and brute strength
#5 Bent Over Rows: Build back muscle, use a dumbbell and chair, desk or anything like that
#6 Calf Raises: Build leg strength
#7 Squats: Another must build thigh muscle mostly
#8 Pull-Ups: Amazing exercise
Good simple safe exercises.

The best thing I see for those preparing - lose the fat - everything is much easier after that.

Fat sneaks up on you and you don't realize it is making things more difficult.

Add 10 extra pounds to your backpack and you notice it.

Add 10 extra pounds to your body over a period of time and you may not notice it.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hmm...while on one hand I want to say "good job" on the other I want to say you have only just begun scratching the surface.

I don't want to get into criticism so I'll just give you a few ideas that are cheap and will benefit you.

Not knowing your training area, or what kind of space you have may mean some of these might not work for you...

1) make a sandbag. I think 60# bags of sand are ~$3-4 at home depot. An old surplus duffel/sea bag is ~$10 most of the time. And just about any old bag even a back pack can be made into some sort of sand bag. You can google how to...but the basic choice is dump the sand in loose or make smaller bags first and load the big bag. The basics will be lifting to shoulder, bearhug and walking, but many many things can be done. (hug and squat, hug and carry, clean, deadlift, row, press and it will amaze you how so little weight can be just about impossible to lift.)

2) same sand, duct tape and zip ties and a innertube will make a "Bulgarian bag". These don't need to be all that heavy, but provide a good upperbody warmup and cardio. make it heavy and it is something else. Again pretty cheap. (if you don't know about these just google)

3) hit a tire or log or stump with a sledge hammer. You can also lever the hammer around (its an arm builder).

4) do you have any weight plates? if not and can get some you can again use leverage. Back to a place like home depot, get black pipe (I think its 1.5" ID) the outside will be right under 2". (any thick strong pipe that allows weight plates to fit will work) you could use as a thick barbell and thats great, but for a "on the cheap" set up, that builds strength with out needing a lot of weight have the pipe cut to about 5' and figure a way that you will load only one end (you could buy collars or drill holes and place a bolt through) the object is to fix the plates to the one end and then "shovel" the weight, its pretty much a total body movement with the bulk being on the arms and back.

The great thing about the "pipe lift" is a single 25# plate may be more than enough for a guy your size. (I think the 10' pipe is ~$10, have it cut to a 5' and then your choice of either two 2.5' pieces that you can use as clubs (look up club/mace training) or a 3' and 2' sections for similar things. (you may find the pipe alone to work for you, or you can do anything from mount a bowling ball or use a coffee can and concrete to make heavy clubs.)

All these idea are doable for around $20 each or under not counting buying a weight plate. (and at least you don't need many pairs of plates, you can start with one and add from there)

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Couldn't hurt flipping huge tires using a similar technique as a deadlift, maybe letting them back down. Will be surprised what muscles get worked out doing deads.
I can't thank you for some reason....

Anyways, tire flipping is fun, which makes it fun. Throwing sand bags is cool too and something most people can buy and store. Non traditional movements are better from a survivalist point of view.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Run, and squat thrusts (jump up when you come up) they'll kick your butt. I lost 20 lbs just by running 3 miles 5-6 times a week, then walking 1 mile. No diet change at all. Beer keeps me above 175 lbs though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts