Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
I HAD a 4.5ft two piece ultra lite that I had used for more years than can remember, but we had a funeral for it a couple days ago after this moron broke it. Yep, that would be me. Really sucks cause it was perfect for packing in with.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thats an nice pole. how did you mod it? or where did you get it?
Its a base for bow fishing the reel is just a zebco. It will be replaced with a smaller metal one soon... The green part the reel attaches to is aluminum... I bought it at a local hunting and fishing store the brand on it is stuart

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
Both Filthy and brushy have some great setups

One thing I'd add to your tackle assortment are a couple of foam floats or dink floats

s7_320227_999_01.jpg

s7_320227_999_02.jpg

s7_320227_999_03.jpg

s7_320227_999_04.jpg

Dink floats are used mostly by salmon and steelhead fishermen, but come in sizes for trout and panfish as well. They are made of foam, and can be crushed with no problem (great if your backpacking), and weigh next to nothing. They are as sensitive as any plastic or balsa float on the market.
You can buy the store bought ones shown above, or you can go to your local hardware store and make them yourself for next to nothing (they are made of backing material).

Quick edit: When you click the pictures the floats are shown actual size.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Nice small setup. When my father first arrived here from the south pacific we used what he called bottle lines or hand lines. This was one of the old wasp waisted coke bottles with about 30yds of line wrapped around it and then the sinker and hook etc. The bait was put on it it was swung around the head like a lasso and allowed to spool off the bottle when released. With practice and nothing overhead you could get a good 50 or 60 foot cast and then you use your hand to set the hook and to bring in the fish you simply wound the line back around the bottle.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use hobo fishing methods. A 12 ounce can works great as a fishing pole. I also carry balloons instead of bobbers. Look up hobo hand fishing or cuban hand fishing on youtube and you can see how it works. You'll save a lot of space and weight by not carrying a rod and reel.

I also use speedhooks instead of yoyo's. They are a lot lighter, more compact, and perform basically the same function.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use hobo fishing methods. A 12 ounce can works great as a fishing pole. I also carry balloons instead of bobbers. Look up hobo hand fishing or cuban hand fishing on youtube and you can see how it works. You'll save a lot of space and weight by not carrying a rod and reel.

I also use speedhooks instead of yoyo's. They are a lot lighter, more compact, and perform basically the same function.
do they float? the spools perform two functions they keep the rig tidy and serve as a bobber in the water... just slide the line through the spool to achieve the desired depth and attach the other end to an anchor point on the bank and leave it. (checking on it occasionally)

·
Registered
100 Posts
do they float? the spools perform two functions they keep the rig tidy and serve as a bobber in the water... just slide the line through the spool to achieve the desired depth and attach the other end to an anchor point on the bank and leave it. (checking on it occasionally)
Yes, balloons float great and they are super fast to deploy.

My main objection to using spools is that you're limited in the number if rigs you can carry and set up. We are talking about food fishing, not sport fishing. A rod and reel are great for sport fishing but if you are after food, then you need to get as many hooks in the water as possible in the shortest amount of time and that take up the least amount of space in your pack.

That means you have a big ass handful of snelled hooks which are fast to deploy. You also carry a handful of small split shot and carry some paracord that you can rip the inner strands out of, along with a bag of balloons and you carry as many speedhooks as you can. This let's you get as many as 30 to 50 hooks in the water - with at least 10 of those being speedhooks - all tied off to limbs and the bank or whatever is available. 30 to 50 spools is too bulky to carry in a pack.

Remember that food fishing is totally different than sport fishing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts